Confirmed with Link: Blues fill out the coaching staff

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Getting Berube is on my wish list of things the Blues can do this offseason, especially without the Wolves going forward. PRV, Barbashev and Schmaltz all had good seasons down there last year and will be on the Blues this year. Others (Husso or Binnington, Dunn, Agostino) could easily see a lot of time with the Blues this season.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Thrilled to have Berube with the Blues, was worried about him being poached by another team. Hope we hear something official soon.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I would say our staff is much better if he signs.

Ott doesn't mean much to me. Sydor will be good if he can keep sober.
Agreed, I'm happy with that staff.

And damn, if things ever go south in a game the Blues' coaching staff can probably lay a beat down on the other teams' coaching staffs. Berube, Ott, Yeo, Sydor is tough. :laugh:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Agreed, I'm happy with that staff.

And damn, if things ever go south in a game the Blues' coaching staff can probably lay a beat down on the other teams' coaching staffs. Berube, Ott, Yeo, Sydor is tough. :laugh:
Watch out Nashville fans?

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
We should hire Patrick Roy as our goalie coach then too :sarcasm::laugh:

I don't know that I want Roy. I think he took one too many shots off the helmet.

That said, maybe we can steal CuJo from Carolina.

And thinking about it, I'm actually somewhat serious about that. I don't know his contract details, but he was only doing part time consultant work with their minor League guys. If he wants to go full time, I don't think he'd be a bad hire.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
I don't know that I want Roy. I think he took one too many shots off the helmet.

That said, maybe we can steal CuJo from Carolina.

And thinking about it, I'm actually somewhat serious about that. I don't know his contract details, but he was only doing part time consultant work with their minor League guys. If he wants to go full time, I don't think he'd be a bad hire.

This is tough to say... He flopped as a goalie coach while at Kingston. He's not a good match for Snake.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

David Alexander, your next goalie coach apparently

David has the answer to everything.

128175.jpg

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I had a nice visit to Maine once.

Me too, its quite lovely in the summer :thumbu:

But seriously, anyone know much about David Alexander?

After a cursory search, turns out he has worked with Jake Allen in the past and is also a New Brunswick native.

Personal website: https://www.alexandergoaltending.com/

Blurb from when the Crunch hired him in 2013:
Alexander brings 10 years of goalie coaching experience to the Crunch. The Moncton, New Brunswick native worked with the NCAA's Division 1 University of Maine Black Bears for five seasons and also worked with Hockey New Brunswick and Canada's U17 Team Atlantic. Alexander also serves as the director of goaltending development with Alexander Goaltending and a member of the Goaltending Consultant Group. His personal clients have competed at the World Championships and include two AHL All-Star appearances and an NHL Rookie All-Star team selection.

A native of New Brunswick, Alexander is a 2006 graduate of the University of New Brunswick where he obtained his bachelor's degree in education.
https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/david-alexander-joins-crunch-coaching-staff/c-678895

From his Bio page on the Crunch website:
Alexander has also worked for Hockey New Brunswick and Canada’s U-17 Team Atlantic. In addition to his coaching background, he is the Director of Goaltending Development at Alexander Goaltending. His personal clients have included former St. Louis Blues goalie Jake Allen. Alexander graduated from the University of New Brunswick in 2006 with a degree in education.
http://www.syracusecrunch.com/coaches.aspx?rc=23

Interesting that he has worked with Jake in the past...

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Goalies he's worked with at either Maine or Syracuse:
Scott Darling
Anders Lindback
Kristers Gudlevskis
Cedrick Desjardins
Riku Helenius
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Adam Wilcox
Mike McKenna

Pretty decent list

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I got no qualms with the hire. It was clear at the beginning that Blues wanted someone that could connect with Jake. Also I'd say he did a good job with Vasilevskiy while he was in Syracuse, so I can see him stylistically working well with Husso too.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Apparently Allen raved about him, so glad we are finding a goalie coach that fits our goalie.

Does he fit our goalie? I mean if he worked with him prior to the All-Star break last season, he hadn't "fixed" what was "broken" (for lack of better terms) about Jake. It took Brodeur and or/Ty Conklin to do that. Ill reserve judgement because I don't know much of anything about the guy or the situation. However, given a blanket choice of a guy who worked with Allen prior to his turn-around and someone who hadn't, I'd take the latter.

Also, have this or the Berube hire been officially announced. I have seen tweets from insiders saying they were, but no official announcements.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Does he fit our goalie? I mean if he worked with him prior to the All-Star break last season, he hadn't "fixed" what was "broken" (for lack of better terms) about Jake. It took Brodeur and or/Ty Conklin to do that. Ill reserve judgement because I don't know much of anything about the guy or the situation. However, given a blanket choice of a guy who worked with Allen prior to his turn-around and someone who hadn't, I'd take the latter.

Also, have this or the Berube hire been officially announced. I have seen tweets from insiders saying they were, but no official announcements.

Well this is a head-scratcher. None of us know the true extent of their working relationship, but we can assume that he with worked with Allen early in his career during his developmental stages or just in the off-seasons. Allen was a good goalie before that stretch, and we should want someone that he is comfortable with. Brodeur told him to trust his instincts more and play to his abilities, so having a goalie coach that helped developed those instincts and abilities is a good thing.

It's been reported that the reason his game was going down was because Corsi wanted him to play differently, and that didn't mesh with Allen. If anyone is responsible for that poor play, it's Corsi.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Well this is a head-scratcher. None of us know the true extent of their working relationship, but we can assume that he with worked with Allen early in his career during his developmental stages or just in the off-seasons. Allen was a good goalie before that stretch, and we should want someone that he is comfortable with. Brodeur told him to trust his instincts more and play to his abilities, so having a goalie coach that helped developed those instincts and abilities is a good thing.

It's been reported that the reason his game was going down was because Corsi wanted him to play differently, and that didn't mesh with Allen. If anyone is responsible for that poor play, it's Corsi.

Allen has had struggles with inconsistency, cheating, over-extention and poor positioning his whole career. There were noticeable differences in his play the back half of the season compared to how he played prior to Corsi. Corsi may have almost ruined Allen as he was at his worse during that stretch, but there were serious holes in his game before Corsi got here that Brodeur/Conklin seemed to fix.

But you are right, we don't know the extent of things, and I am definitely reserving judgement.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Allen has had struggles with inconsistency, cheating, over-extention and poor positioning his whole career. There were noticeable differences in his play the back half of the season compared to how he played prior to Corsi. Corsi may have almost ruined Allen as he was at his worse during that stretch, but there were serious holes in his game before Corsi got here that Brodeur/Conklin seemed to fix.

But you are right, we don't know the extent of things, and I am definitely reserving judgement.

Well, I think it's probably more complicated than x coach or y coach ruined or fixed Allen.

But as far as Alexander goes, he's the guy that Allen works with in the summers. For all of his flaws, Allen always seems to come into the season well-prepared and ready to take on the season. But when Corsi, or Conklin, or whoever, come in and change his routines at the start of the season, and change his drills, and he isn't getting the same kind of interaction he thrives under with Alexander (by his own estimation), he starts to falter a bit. If nothing else, this move will add some more consistency to Allen's year, which I think will do wonders for his performance. Alexander clearly communicates in a way that resonates with Allen, so it makes sense to have him on the staff.

The guy is a great goalie, and he's still growing into the big boy job, but I think that he's got what it takes. If Alexander is the guy that can keep his nose to the grindstone and help him up when he falls, then great. If not, then we've ruled that option out and we can move on from there (whatever that means).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen put up a season like he had in Chicago in 13-14 this year. Having Yeo (who is easier to play for than Hitch), and his system (which made a god of Devan Dubnyk) will go a long way to helping Jake out in that regard.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
JR Tweeting that we are finalizing our coaching staff by hiring Berube as Assistant HC. I'm really glad things worked out.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
JR mentioned in his article that we could add an additional assistant and if so, it'd likely be Daniel Tkaczuk, who was with Berube in Chicago. I'm assuming his role was with the forwards in Chicago, so good to see them bring in guys with familiarity with the prospects, and hopefully some of them will get legitimate looks since we'll have coaches that will know what they are like on a day-to-day basis over the course of a season.

Good news for a guy like Blais if he has a good camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad