Denver, CO
VERY young staff.
Yeo: 43
Berube: 51
Sydor: 45
Tkaczuk: 38
Ott: 34
Alexander: 35

Interesting that we're going with an associate coach and 3 assistant coaches, it's going to be a crowded bench next year. Tkaczuk surprised me a little bit, but he fits what Yeo was talking about the other day in terms of working more on specific skills for players with specific roles. I think that's the right move.

Good stuff. Now it's time to worry about the rest of the things.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
How many coaches do we have now? By my count we added two additional coaching positions beyond the 4 we had previously

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
VERY young staff.

Interesting that we're going with an associate coach and 3 assistant coaches, it's going to be a crowded bench next year. Tkaczuk surprised me a little bit, but he fits what Yeo was talking about the other day in terms of working more on specific skills for players with specific roles. I think that's the right move.

I have to imagine that Tkaczuk and Ott probably won't actually be on the bench, and that they'll watch games from above.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
How many coaches do we have now? By my count we added two additional coaching positions beyond the 4 we had previously

Just one extra.

Berube replaces Thomas
Sydor replaces Wilson
Alexander replaces Corsi
Ott replaces Bennett

Ferrell is still here as Video Coach
Renaghan is still here as Strength and Conditioning Coach
Barille is still here as Head Trainer
Godin is still here as Equipment Manager

Daniel Tkaczuk is the only "new position". He's listed as "Skills Development Coach", but I have no clue what the full scope of his role will actually be. I'd imagine he'll be heavily involved in practices but not overly involved in the actual games.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
VERY young staff.

Young staff for a young team. Which I'm ok with.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Just one extra.

Berube replaces Thomas
Sydor replaces Wilson
Alexander replaces Corsi
Ott replaces Bennett

Daniel Tkaczuk is the only "new position". He's listed as "Skills Development Coach", but I have no clue what the full scope of his role will actually be. I'd imagine he'll be heavily involved in practices but not overly involved in the actual games.

Actually not even 1 extra because Yeo replaced Hitch and I don't think his vacated assistant position was ever filled.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Actually not even 1 extra because Yeo replaced Hitch and I don't think his vacated assistant position was ever filled.

Technically true, but we all knew that was a very odd situation given the early announcement of Yeo being HC in waiting. In terms of "typical staff" it's one more coach than we typically run with, and there shouldn't be any of the "weirdness" that the Yeo situation brought.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Just one extra.

Berube replaces Thomas
Sydor replaces Wilson
Alexander replaces Corsi
Ott replaces Bennett

Im really liking this part, as the season went on the team was having trouble executing simple plays.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Just got wind you guys hired Berube, our condolences from the Flyers board. Although at least he's just an assistant.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
VERY young staff.

I like it as well. But the youth of the coaching staff makes me think that the Blues are expecting to have a younger roster next season, which would be great. This is just my speculation, but this is even more reason that the Blues should be targeting young top 6 forwards rather than planning to sign an old guy like Williams or Vrbata.

Honestly, I'm really happy we are going to have more of a "players" coaching staff. We are bringing in guys that have good relationships with our players. Ott is obviously friends with a lot of the team. Our prospects all say how much they love Berube. Gotta love how Brodeur got a guy that Jake Allen personally likes and wanted (which seems to be all he needs). This type of stuff has gotta make the players happy, and when they're happy that may turn into better performance. I mean, the NHL season is long. It's a grind. I think playing under Mike Yeo for 9 months would be more manageable than a guy like Hitchcock. Let's hope.

Last edited:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Just got wind you guys hired Berube, our condolences from the Flyers board. Although at least he's just an assistant.

I get that he wasn't good for you guys.

That said, he did a great job for us in Chicago last year and was very instrumental in helping Paajarvi and Barbashev develop into solid NHL'ers. He also has a very good record at implementing a PP system(which we definitely need).

He isn't the same coach that he was in Philly and he won't be the guy making the final calls. I think most of us here in St. Louis are pretty happy with the makeup of our new coaching staff. The only real head scratcher is Ott as the "eye in the sky", and even that isn't an overly questionable move.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort

Tkaczuk will work one one with individual players much like he did with the Chicago Wolves where he worked alongside head coach Craig Berube and assistant coach Darryl Sydor.

Tkaczuk's job with the Blues will be mostly overall 1 on 1 skill development. He will have a hand in stuff like power-play design. He'll take that individual player within the team game plan, within their own development plan, and really fine tune their individual specific skills.

I now look at the coaching staff and it fits how our owner likes to have in place a management replacement in waiting. And so Ott and Thaczuk could be the future Blues AHL coaching staff in waiting.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I like that they'll have a skills coach now. (look up Daryl Belfry - he pretty much started the revolution of skills coaching). Typically, once you got to the NHL, practice was devoted to execution and learning the system, mechanics of certain situations, etc. but not individual skill development. Whatever skills you came with when you entered the league is what you had and you conformed to the NHL system based on your skillset. If you wanted to develop a particular skill you didn't already have (certain moves, improved edge work in particular situations, etc), it was up to the player to figure that out on their own time...and some did by hiring guys like Belfry on the side. Others didn't and their development in terms of their individual skills pretty much stopped.

I have no idea if Tkaczuk is a good skills coach or not but I'm just glad they now have an in-house guy to work on skills individual players want to improve upon.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I like that they'll have a skills coach now. (look up Daryl Belfry - he pretty much started the revolution of skills coaching). Typically, once you got to the NHL, practice was devoted to execution and learning the system, mechanics of certain situations, etc. but not individual skill development. Whatever skills you came with when you entered the league is what you had and you conformed to the NHL system based on your skillset. If you wanted to develop a particular skill you didn't already have (certain moves, improved edge work in particular situations, etc), it was up to the player to figure that out on their own time...and some did by hiring guys like Belfry on the side. Others didn't and their development in terms of their individual skills pretty much stopped.

I have no idea if Tkaczuk is a good skills coach or not but I'm just glad they now have an in-house guy to work on skills individual players want to improve upon.

I wonder if that would help a Yakupov or a Jaskin get over the hump that they have in front of them.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Well said. Having an individual skills coach really fits with the direction the entire NHL is moving IMO. I don't know if Tkaczuk is good or bad either, but I assume that his work with our AHL guys like PRV has been positive.

I wonder if that would help a Yakupov or a Jaskin get over the hump that they have in front of them.

Couldn't hurt, right? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad