GDT: Blues @ Ducks | Still Looking for 2 Straight Wins Part 2: Deuces Wild|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Personally I just don’t see the chemistry there yet between the two. Thomas was buzzing with Schwartz in the first game against Colorado, and hasn’t looked the same since.

When Vladi gets back, I’d be rolling with this as the top 9.

Schenn-O’Reilly-Perron
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko
Hoffman-Bozak-Kyrou

Kyrou and Hoffman’s speed would likely make them be a deadly duo, IMO. No need to trade someone like him when we can run this kind of depth throughout the lineup.

They cant break up schwartz-schenn-kyrou though. Just add Tarasenko with ROR and Perron on the top line, and Vladi can finally play consistently with that 1C.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Personally I just don’t see the chemistry there yet between the two. Thomas was buzzing with Schwartz in the first game against Colorado, and hasn’t looked the same since.

When Vladi gets back, I’d be rolling with this as the top 9.

Schenn-O’Reilly-Perron
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko
Hoffman-Bozak-Kyrou

Kyrou and Hoffman’s speed would likely make them be a deadly duo, IMO. No need to trade someone like him when we can run this kind of depth throughout the lineup.
I don’t like that at all. I’m not sure why you’re bumping Kyrou down to the 3rd line. He’s been our most dangerous forward and you’re bumping him down with Bozak and Hoffman (who has been a complete ghost)? Pass.

Frankly I don’t understand putting Tarasenko in the top 6 when he gets back either. To me, he’s more likely to start on the 3rd line because I think it’s going to take a while for him to start producing.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
He’s actually younger than Kyrou. But he ain’t playing as good as last year.

This is just Thomas' annual start of the season slump. Look it up, this is a pattern: he actually starts cold every season (/teamchange) since his trade from the Knights to Hamilton. He seems to need around 10-12 ish games to get adjusted.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I don’t like that at all. I’m not sure why you’re bumping Kyrou down to the 3rd line. He’s been our most dangerous forward and you’re bumping him down with Bozak and Hoffman (who has been a complete ghost)? Pass.

Frankly I don’t understand putting Tarasenko in the top 6 when he gets back either. To me, he’s more likely to start on the 3rd line because I think it’s going to take a while for him to start producing.

Teams will start getting a better read on Kyrou, and the line will eventually start to slow down.

I did this though to spread out the scoring as much as possible, and put players together who already have chemistry or compliment each other well.

I don’t know if it’s just a slow start for both, but Thomas and Hoffman haven’t been a match so far together, and I think Kyrou is a solid choice to get Hoffman going. Plus we’ve already seen Kyrou and Bozak play very well together.

That top 9 would be an absolute matchup nightmare for teams.

What would your lineup be?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Teams will start getting a better read on Kyrou, and the line will eventually start to slow down.

I did this though to spread out the scoring as much as possible, and put players together who already have chemistry or compliment each other well.

I don’t know if it’s just a slow start for both, but Thomas and Hoffman haven’t been a match so far together, and I think Kyrou is a solid choice to get Hoffman going. Plus we’ve already seen Kyrou and Bozak play very well together.

That top 9 would be an absolute matchup nightmare for teams.

What would your lineup be?
I’m not sure. I don’t really have a lineup yet but I also don’t think it’s necessary since Tarasenko is probably out for at least another month. And by then, we will have to see who is playing well and who is healthy. So kinda pointless to talk about now.

Reactions: Brian39

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019

See I don't think teams really ease players in though. You're either still injured and need more time OR you're ready to go. Tarasenko started with Schenn and Schwartz during his first game back in the bubble last year. Unless someone can name the last Blues player who was eased into the lineup after significant injury by starting on the third line...

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
See I don't think teams really ease players in though. You're either still injured and need more time OR you're ready to go. Tarasenko started with Schenn and Schwartz during his first game back in the bubble last year. Unless someone can name the last Blues player who was eased into the lineup after significant injury by starting on the third line...
Robby Fabbri?

Your point is kind of misleading because you have to take into account the amount of time missed. I mean yeah it’s different if a player is only out a few months but Tarasenko has played a few games over the past year and almost a half. The list of guys that have been in his situation is pretty small.

And, Tarasenko didn’t look good at all in the bubble so I wouldn’t advise making that same mistake again by putting him with Schwartz and Schenn immediately. It really is going to take some time.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think I liked the defensive pairings better tonight -- Faulk and Krug looked fine together, and Colt looked better paired with Scandella. Even thought Dunn and Mikkola played well.

I agree, though everyone looked good last night for the most part. Faulk is playing so well that I like these pairings a lot more. Mikkola looked fine, though Panger is right that he needs to stand up for himself a bit more. When Bortz comes back they will probably rotate in guys, as he seems like the best partner for Dunn but they also need to keep giving Mikkola more time to develop.

Great night for the whipping boys! Dunn, Sanford, Clifford all got on the scoresheet. This game really showed the value of having a guy like Clifford in the lineup. We don't really need him to play more than 6-8 minutes most nights, but he does a lot in those few minutes. He stands up for his teammates and has the experience to make smart plays that younger guys may not. We are also spoiled to have 2 third-line caliber players on our 4th line. Barby and Sunny are so damn good in their roles.

Sanford showed that he may be finding his game as well. If he could play like that every night, then he will silence the doubters pretty fast. His hands are really good in close spaces and he's got a great shot, he just needs to find the consistency to make an impact every game.

Thomas and Hoffman continue to be underwhelming. I'm more concerned about Hoffman than Thomas, because at least Thomas can work on other parts of his game while not being counted on to provide offense. Hoffman was acquired for one reason only, and he's not doing much of that so far. I said it before the last game, but I would like to see Sundqvist on that line to provide a spark. Blais was fine last night but he doesn't make things happen like Sunny can.

Reactions: mike1320

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Sanford showed that he may be finding his game as well. If he could play like that every night, then he will silence the doubters pretty fast. His hands are really good in close spaces and he's got a great shot, he just needs to find the consistency to make an impact every game.

We've said that no less than 17 times about Sanford since he came here. give him a week and he will suck again.

Reactions: DoubleK81

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think I liked the defensive pairings better tonight -- Faulk and Krug looked fine together, and Colt looked better paired with Scandella. Even thought Dunn and Mikkola played well.
I don’t disagree. I do think we need to see what they look like against a better offensive team though.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is just Thomas' annual start of the season slump. Look it up, this is a pattern: he actually starts cold every season (/teamchange) since his trade from the Knights to Hamilton. He seems to need around 10-12 ish games to get adjusted.
Perhaps, but we need him to be better if we are going to reach our potential.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don’t disagree. I do think we need to see what they look like against a better offensive team though.
Obviously last night wasn’t much of a test, but I don’t like using Krug on shutdown pair. That isn’t his game. He is fine at even strength but he isn’t JayBo. Either need to play him with Faulk or use Faulk/Scandella as shutdown pair.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
True, but Schenn isn't a slouch defensively, so it's too much of a difference imo.
Backes was near a Selke level. So, I would say there is a significant difference. Schenn also gets easier defensive minutes than Backes used to get. So, any comparison also has to factor that in.

Let’s put it this way, against the oppositions top line in the playoffs I would rather have a prime Backes defensively than a prime Schenn. It isn’t a particularly tough call in that regard.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Backes was near a Selke level. So, I would say there is a significant difference. Schenn also gets easier defensive minutes than Backes used to get. So, any comparison also has to factor that in.

Let’s put it this way, against the oppositions top line in the playoffs I would rather have a prime Backes defensively than a prime Schenn. It isn’t a particularly tough call in that regard.

And Backes scored just as much as Schenn.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'm honestly more worried about Hoffman than any of the other slow starters this year. He doesn't seem like he has any chemistry with anyone on this team and you can tell when he's on the ice. He barely backchecks, he's almost never in the soft spots on the ice; he actually looks like an ahl guy that needed to fill a spot. I think once Vova comes back, you pair him with Thomas and hope they can get some chemistry, but other than that, I think the lines are pretty set. Sanford-ROR-Perron struggled early this season, but last night they regained their form a bit, which is a nice surprise. I do think that Sanford is a 40-pt forward that can be of use on that line despite what other people say, and I believe the SSK line is your best offensive line that shouldn't be broken up. The rest of the bottom 6 could rearranged to suit your needs, but Sundqvist could probably slot up on the 3rd line and really give those guys a spark.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'm honestly more worried about Hoffman than any of the other slow starters this year. He doesn't seem like he has any chemistry with anyone on this team and you can tell when he's on the ice. He barely backchecks, he's almost never in the soft spots on the ice; he actually looks like an ahl guy that needed to fill a spot. I think once Vova comes back, you pair him with Thomas and hope they can get some chemistry, but other than that, I think the lines are pretty set. Sanford-ROR-Perron struggled early this season, but last night they regained their form a bit, which is a nice surprise. I do think that Sanford is a 40-pt forward that can be of use on that line despite what other people say, and I believe the SSK line is your best offensive line that shouldn't be broken up. The rest of the bottom 6 could rearranged to suit your needs, but Sundqvist could probably slot up on the 3rd line and really give those guys a spark.

Agree 100% with everything. Hoffman barely does anything out there. I don't expect him to be good on defense but if he's not scoring then he doesn't bring much to the table. I do think he will eventually show us something, but the question is where does he fit in? I guess they could eventually try him with ROR and Perron, but if they are our #1 shutdown line then Hoffman might not be a good fit for that line. For now they absolutely need to put Sunny with Hoffman and Thomas to try and jumpstart those two.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Its a shame we knocked out Gibson too early. If we waited til the 3rd to ring him up wed be facing miller instead today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad