News: Blues do not extend QO to Nail Yakupov

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Time for the KHL. Any team signing him is gonna regret it. He's just not an NHL player.

Eh. Considering any offer he gets is likely to be close to league minimum, its hardly a risk. If he wants to play in the NHL some team will give him a chance. Sure, it possibly or even most likely doesn't work out but giving a guy one last opportunity is hardly going to be regrettable. If you had to guarantee him a couple of million that's another story. Any deal he gets is going to have easy cut and run options for the buyer.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get any offers of note and goes somewhere on a camp tryout.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Id bring him back to Edmonton for a season just so all my signed Yakupov memorabilia regains value for a while.

Joking aside, I would like to see what he could do with a competent coaching staff, stable leadership, and with the knowledge that it's his last chance to salvage his career. Only one a 1 yr/ show me contract though.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Should sign with CHI on a 2 year dirt cheap deal. Seems like a good offensive team to try to rebound with as a previously though to be skilled player.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Vegas wouldn't be a bad fit for him. Especially if they aren't looking to be competitive next year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Avs have both the roster and cap space. I see no downside in it. I also see very little upside and expect him to be signed with a KHL team next year, but hey, wouldn't have really lost anything.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Is he still terrible at backchecking intelligently? His speed and tenacity would look good across from Versteeg and Bennett/Jankowski... not as if Chiasson is some great 9th forward here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I wouldn't mind the Flames taking a chance. Cheap option up front.

If they miss out on Foo. I expect them to at least take a look.
There's never been any question about his skill or his work effort; those are two things the Flames look for.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Avs have both the roster and cap space. I see no downside in it. I also see very little upside and expect him to be signed with a KHL team next year, but hey, wouldn't have really lost anything.

I'm pretty sure all 31 teams have what it takes to sign Yakupov, lol. Unless you plan on paying him 6m per season, then sure, go Avs go.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Hope JR give him a 1 year shot. Pittsburgh has a good track record with reclamation projects under JR/MS. Bring the Yak in and see if you can rebuild him.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
There must be zero trade market for him if this rumor is out there.

I thought his qualifying offer was a 2-way deal, and that Yakupov wouldn't sign it because of that. (Because the Blues would almost certainly send him down to the AHL.) I expected that to happen, and someone to claim him off waivers.

He needs to start the year in the AHL with a team willing to invest into his development, but I think more likely that ship has sailed and he is what he is. He's an easy guy to root for. I hope the Blues are done taking on Edmonton failed development projects. It looks like maybe Paajarvi can reinvent himself as a bottom 6 player, but I have no confidence Yakupov will have the will to do that.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
He has more talent than anyone on Line 3 and could be had for cheap.

A perfect JJ pick up.

Seriously though, I would give him a shot, and I'd still love to get Kane.

Today Kassian, another I wanted has turned his game/life around and signed a fresh 3 yr deal with EDM

I'd love to sign YAK - that wouldn't sit well with EDM

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He signs a one-year, two-way deal with someone. If he doesn't make the team, the contract is probably mutually ended and he goes back to Russia.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm pretty sure all 31 teams have what it takes to sign Yakupov, lol. Unless you plan on paying him 6m per season, then sure, go Avs go.

I'm saying the Avs are going to have tons of empty cap space at the beginning of the year. So we could afford to give him a 1 year, 1 way deal, and it wouldn't matter at all if we had to send him down.

Also that we have such trash winger depth that he would actually have a shot to play with a good center.

The Avs are basically a "if you can't make it here, you won't make it anywhere" kind of team.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think its in everyone's best interest he goes to the KHL at this point. He's not ready for the NHL game yet, if he goes there, improves on his weaknesses, and gains confidence by excelling there's no doubt in my mind that he can come back and be a top 6 forward someday.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I'll say Chicago because they lost a skilled Russian and need to pick one up (though a massive downgrade) and they lost Hossa. Need more depth and I think Chicago is one of the only teams who can at least turn him into a 40 point player. Dude oozes skill it'll be a shame if he completely busts (that's 90% likely at this point) or Vegas. One of these teams need skill badly so they should just get the puck to him and let him do whatever the hell he wants and to not worry about defense and grinding for pucks.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
At most he'll get a 1 year "show me" deal in the NHL that won't amount to a thing. He'll be in the KHL this time next year. He's the biggest bust in the last 20yrs given that he went 1OA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad