Blues check in at 25th out of 30 on Forbes 2014 NHL Team Values

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlm45fjdge/1-toronto-maple-leafs-8/

It is what it is: Blues check in at 25th out of 30 NHL teams one of 6 NHL teams still losing money.

Current Value: $235 mil.
Revenue 2013-2014: $98 mil.
Operating Income 2013-2014: -$6.5 mil.
The Blues have compiled a regular season record 208-127-41 record, including three straight playoff appearances, but the lack of distance in the playoffs, coupled with one of the poorest local television deals, has kept the red ink flowing.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlm45fjdge/1-toronto-maple-leafs-8/

It is what it is: Blues check in at 25th out of 30 NHL teams one of 6 NHL teams still losing money.

Current Value: $235 mil.
Revenue 2013-2014: $98 mil.
Operating Income 2013-2014: -$6.5 mil.
The Blues have compiled a regular season record 208-127-41 record, including three straight playoff appearances, but the lack of distance in the playoffs, coupled with one of the poorest local television deals, has kept the red ink flowing.

Don't the poor concession and parking contracts that the last ownership group agreed to hurt the Blues pretty badly financially?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Don't the poor concession and parking contracts that the last ownership group agreed to hurt the Blues pretty badly financially?

Absolutely! The forecasted income stream is a significant component of the estimated "value" of a business. The Blues need to go far into the playoffs, and increase their local TV contracts to move up significantly.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Absolutely! The forecasted income stream is a significant component of the estimated "value" of a business. The Blues need to go far into the playoffs, and increase their local TV contracts to move up significantly.
When is their TV contract up? I think the Blues will go into the black at some point in the next few years. Tarasenko could really help that.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
In addition to what has been said, a big part of the losses is the arena itself. Depreciation is taken out before they arrive at that income number. Also, Chaifetz arena has really hurt Scottrade for hosting non-hockey events. The alumni at SLU don't really care about making money on it and have asked to just keep it filled with events for the students, so they significantly undercut Scottrade and get most of the entertainment.

Also, if they do actually make a profit, I believe the Blues have to pay an additional 5%ish "entertainment tax" to the city... which the Cardinals and Rams are exempt from. But not the Blues.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Blues really need to win a cup to tap into revenue sources this franchise has never seen. Until that happens, Stillman, now in year 3 of owning the Blues, you would think will bail as owner around year 6 like all the others who were tired of losing money. The window to win it all remains open for the franchise.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Sad, that the Blues being one of the oldest teams outside the O6, are still viewed by most of the city and the surrounding area, as niche or something else to do when baseball season is over. Or the football team sucks. Like the KC Royals, I really don't see even a deep playoff run, or winning it all changing the overall mindset, or how most folks feel about the team in the area. Hockey and The Blues are never gonna be important to St. Louis folk.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Blues really need to win a cup to tap into revenue sources this franchise has never seen. Until that happens, Stillman, now in year 3 of owning the Blues, you would think will bail as owner around year 6 like all the others who were tired of losing money. The window to win it all remains open for the franchise.

That would be odd, since the prospects of making money start looking better in a few years when the tv deal is renewed.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Sad, that the Blues being one of the oldest teams outside the O6, are still viewed by most of the city and the surrounding area, as niche or something else to do when baseball season is over. Or the football team sucks. Like the KC Royals, I really don't see even a deep playoff run, or winning it all changing the overall mindset, or how most folks feel about the team in the area. Hockey and The Blues are never gonna be important to St. Louis folk.

That's an undefined, relative term. The Blues can keep a viable, NHL franchise, which is competitive most of time, and can win The Stanley Cup a few times, and still not be "important" to St. Louis folk, by your definition. But, the same can be stated about most US NHL franchises. They could win The Stanley Cup 10 years in a row, and possibly not be "important" to St. Louis Folk. That would depend upon what % of the population would care about the team. Even Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philadelphia, New York teams might not make it based on the OP's definition of "important".

But, I get your point. It would be nice for the Blues to be important enough to have perpetual sellouts, high local TV ratings and, thus, extremely valuable TV contracts, and bring enough entertainment Dollars and related spending to have The City drop their paying the entertainment tax. All that would help them be more competitive.

Yoko Ono*

The team was in much better shape before Checketts got here, I warned you all but you thought he was a savior and said I was full of *****. All well when they are in Quebec you will all miss them.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That's an undefined, relative term. The Blues can keep a viable, NHL franchise, which is competitive most of time, and can win The Stanley Cup a few times, and still not be "important" to St. Louis folk, by your definition. But, the same can be stated about most US NHL franchises. They could win The Stanley Cup 10 years in a row, and possibly not be "important" to St. Louis Folk. That would depend upon what % of the population would care about the team. Even Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philadelphia, New York teams might not make it based on the OP's definition of "important".

But, I get your point. It would be nice for the Blues to be important enough to have perpetual sellouts, high local TV ratings and, thus, extremely valuable TV contracts, and bring enough entertainment Dollars and related spending to have The City drop their paying the entertainment tax. All that would help them be more competitive.

I've noticed an increase in the amount a of people in St. Louis caring about the Blues. I think Tarasenko's rise, local ownership, and being more competitive are all reasons.

I personally know some people at work that I've been trying to get into the Blues for years are now asking me when we can all go to a game.

The Blues will never hold the spot that the Cardinals hold in the city, unfortunately. But that can be said for a lot of US cities. I'm actually struggling to think of a US city where the NHL is the clear and dominate team.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The team was in much better shape before Checketts got here, I warned you all but you thought he was a savior and said I was full of *****. All well when they are in Quebec you will all miss them.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess if it were up to you, you would have picked Toews over EJ

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

This team was losing in the $20-40 million range when Laurie was the owner, that is what I like to call much worse shape.

To put things in perspective, we spent more in 02-03 than we are now, that's insane. We spent about the equivalent of $90 million today back then.

Last edited:

potsos

Jan 25, 2014
Freeport, Antonica
Just win, baby. If the Blues won a single Cup, they'd become 1A in this town (Cardinals standing in town is unassailable) and that would be more than good enough.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess if it were up to you, you would have picked Toews over EJ

I think you would be wrong here, especially after his "argument" of why Shattenkirk will never live up to what EJ brought us.

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO
It's been a while since the team had a super star and not just an Olympian or All-star. Sometimes its the face of the franchise that really makes a difference.

I'd also wonder how many people just have a disinterest in the Blues because they're a team that's -never- won a championship; so why be a fan of a team that "chokes" more than the Rams. (especially if you have to learn about the sport to care what happens all season and not just turn it on in the Spring when ice hockey is the last thing anyone's concerned with)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad