GDT: Blues @ Canes: Cam Ward is starting

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I thought the Blues just played grade A defense all night long. In a game like that, with the checking so tight and nobody getting any room to breath, it's just going to come down to a bounce or two.

Canes had a post and 2 partial breakaways. Blues score when Kruger trips over something, then has the puck deflect off him oddly straight to a blues stick for an open net tap in.

Reactions: vorbis

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
it's hard to tell how Teravainen got hurt but I thought with the way he fell, the injury happened on the hit. I think you could see him grimace before he fell awkwardly, and didn't quite break his fall. I think something happened to his arm/shoulder on the hit and it prevented him from breaking his fall the way a normal person would.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I thought the Blues just played grade A defense all night long. In a game like that, with the checking so tight and nobody getting any room to breath, it's just going to come down to a bounce or two.

Canes had a post and 2 partial breakaways. Blues score when Kruger trips over something, then has the puck deflect off him oddly straight to a blues stick for an open net tap in.

The blues are what we hope to be moreso than Nashville imo. Very solid defense only 1 or 2 offensive threats with tons of 2 way forwards. Can win close grinders but also will feast on teams with crap defense like the leafs.

Only problem is we are much softer than the blues....and well pretty much every team we've played this season. Even Toronto and Dallas were noticeably more punishing on the fore check.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

I think this is largely true.

I think it's also true that the Canes had their heads up their asses all night. Instead of making the simple play to clear, they would fail to make that play, or they would make a blind centering pass into the middle of the ice instead. From the beginning of the game, when whoever put the pass from behind their own net right on to a Blues stick, to the end of the game on the 6-on-5, when they couldn't figure out to just put the damned puck behind the defense and go get it.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Then they ain't got no goddamned chores to do, 'cos they ain't got no women yet. What, you gotta dust your ****ing Xbox?

If he wants to make the point that kids don't know how to prepare as well as veterans, that's a fine take, I guess. But I don't think I've ever met a 20 year old who gave a **** about household chores. If it's anything, my guess is the boys wanted to relax after the roadie and got into some of Lindy's lingonberry wine.

Anyway. Justin, pls go beat that rookie ass. Thank you.

Yeah, I'm not buying the argument that the yutes, sans wives, kids, or probably even mortgages, didn't play their best because they're worried about taking care of their responsibilities at home. Maybe Pat O'Sullivan was that type of person, but I seriously doubt it's the norm. I would have people for that even on an ELC. 800K/yr can buy a whole hell of a lot in Raleigh.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
The third period was rough beforehand, but after that disaster of a power play, the Canes somehow got worse. The Blues definitely got a boost from that kill.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Tt looked like a shoulder injury he way he was self splinting the whole arm. When people pop their shoulders badly gravity pulling down the arm causes a lot of pain so they'll bend the elbow and hold it up a little below the elbow like he did when he was sitting up by the boards.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We went last night with a friend of mine who's a Blues fan - he left happy but throughout he commented on the solid attack Carolina had as well as how sloppy both teams looked. So there's that? He was also fairly impressed with how Slavin kept Tarasenko bottled up, so again, there's that?

I think we are spoiled. I’m so used to Slavin completely shutting guys down that the couple of chances Tarasenko did get last night made me feel like Slavin was having an off night.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
We went last night with a friend of mine who's a Blues fan - he left happy but throughout he commented on the solid attack Carolina had as well as how sloppy both teams looked. So there's that? He was also fairly impressed with how Slavin kept Tarasenko bottled up, so again, there's that?

I'll reserve the right to feel differently about this later if/when I'm in a better mood, but I think we're past the point of moral victories being good enough for now. This team needs desperately to make the playoffs. The eye test tells us this team is significantly improved over last year, but we're already in position where we'd need a 4-5 game win streak to catch up to the #2-3 type teams in the division. That's really ****ing frustrating.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I will say the schedule has done us no favors, as usual. Three games in two weeks, then 3 games in 5 days, then back-to-back when you have to travel from Toronto to back home and the team you're hosting has just been chilling at your place waiting for you. That sucks.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad