GDT: Blues @ Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
There is absolutely question that Pietrangelo has more turnovers leading to more high quality scoring chances/goals against than any previous season. The stats actually contradict your claims, check for yourself:

Alex Pietrangelo - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Pietrangelo's HDCF% (the ratio of high danger chances generated vs given up by the Blues while he is on the ice) is actually above his career average. In other words, the team is generating more high danger chances than they are giving up when Pietrangelo is on the ice this year - he is actually having a career year in this respect, in a positive way.

Pietrangelo's HDGF% is right in line with his career average, certainly not a career worst as you seem to imply.

If you want to talk about take aways/give aways, then fine. His takeaways are right in line with previous years and his give aways are up a bit (from around 40 to around 50 prorated over 82 games). Big freaking whoop. As shown above, the team is still out high danger chancing opponents with Pietro on the ice at the highest rate of his career and the high danger scoring is right in line with previous years. The only part of your claim that is not demonstrably false is that Pietro has been turning the puck over a bit more than usual (roughly 10 more times over 82 games).

Frankly, I think you're basing your conclusions about Pietrangelo's season off a very unreliable eye test and presenting your opinion as fact.

His turnover stats were already posted but thanks for adding an additional stat in some kind of attempt to nullify what I’ve already stated to which you then backhandedly agreed to lol

This isn’t rocket science. Please show me one dissenting voice saying Pietrangelo has not had more turnovers this year vs any other. I would wait for your answer but I’ll save you the time. There isn’t any lol. We all agree, and the stats back it up.

You have made a libelous claim against me by stating “The only part of your claim that is not demonstrably false is that Pietro has been turning the puck over a bit more than usual “

That’s been my only claim and you admitted it’s true lol

I don’t know where this “eye test” term came from. How much time do people like you dig through stats?? I haven’t looked up one stat concerning Pietrangelo’s turnovers and I didn’t need to. I simply watch him play and it’s very easy to see he’s had more gaffes defensively than any other year.

That must mean someone can watch hockey without spending hours digging through stats, and be correct in their analysis of a player.

Who’d have thunk it???

Reactions: Bendak

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
right on par with 2015-16

ppl can keep defending him but hes done this before in his career.
In 2015-2016, he played 33 games and had 8/14/22 with a Sh% of 12.9 (around his career avg). In 37 games, he's 3/18/21 with a Sh% of 2.9. You can't compare the two at all. If he hits his normal Sh%, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
In 2015-2016, he played 33 games and had 8/14/22 with a Sh% of 12.9 (around his career avg). In 37 games, he's 3/18/21 with a Sh% of 2.9. You can't compare the two at all. If he hits his normal Sh%, this conversation wouldn't be happening.
IF IF IF. thats all we ever hear from the schwartz apologists. how bout IF he stayed healthy for 82 games? thatd be a good start

i guess im gonna start using the IF card for jake allen or pietrangelo.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
IF IF IF. thats all we ever hear from the schwartz apologists. how bout IF he stayed healthy for 82 games? thatd be a good start

i guess im gonna start using the IF card for jake allen or pietrangelo.

Just to be clear, you are saying that 8 goals in 33 games is the same as 3 goals in 37 games?

Reactions: 67Blues and Bendak

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I just need to look at the Blues record when Schwartz is playing vs when he’s not. At this point, if people want the Blues to win, Schwartz should be the last player on the team to leave.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Just to be clear, you are saying that 8 goals in 33 games is the same as 3 goals in 37 games?
point total is roughly the same and he doesnt have 3 goals, he has 2 and a EN

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You just have no argument for trading him. Yes, we are all aware he is struggling this season.

That doesn't mean anything. If you traded everyone that had a down year, you'd have very few players left. That's not a realistic or smart plan for running a team.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
His turnover stats were already posted but thanks for adding an additional stat in some kind of attempt to nullify what I’ve already stated to which you then backhandedly agreed to lol

This isn’t rocket science. Please show me one dissenting voice saying Pietrangelo has not had more turnovers this year vs any other. I would wait for your answer but I’ll save you the time. There isn’t any lol. We all agree, and the stats back it up.

You have made a libelous claim against me by stating “The only part of your claim that is not demonstrably false is that Pietro has been turning the puck over a bit more than usual “

That’s been my only claim and you admitted it’s true lol

I don’t know where this “eye test” term came from. How much time do people like you dig through stats?? I haven’t looked up one stat concerning Pietrangelo’s turnovers and I didn’t need to. I simply watch him play and it’s very easy to see he’s had more gaffes defensively than any other year.

That must mean someone can watch hockey without spending hours digging through stats, and be correct in their analysis of a player.

Who’d have thunk it???
You did not say Pietrangelo has had more turnovers, you said he has had "more turnovers that result in high quality scoring chances and or goals than any previous season." Did I misunderstand your statement? Because it seemed to imply not only that Pietrangelo was giving up more turnovers, but also more high quality scoring chances and or goals.

This comment did not fit with my own personal eye test, so I decided to dig into the statistics to see if you were right that Pietrangelo's slight increase in turnovers has lead to more high quality scoring chances and or goals than in any previous season. Lo and behold the statistics appear to support the idea that the increase in turnovers is not necessarily resulting in an increase in high danger chances or goals against.

Ridicule stats all you want, but they are an invaluable tool in analyzing a player's performance. Eye test is important too, but it is highly subjective and susceptible to bias. For instance, a player might make a particularly egregious turnover (ex. Petro's in the corner, leading to the goal against last night) and said play might stick out in a fan's mind. Without delving too deep into memory and cognitive biases, suffice it to say that it could lead to an inaccurate impression of a player's overall performance.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
There is absolutely question that Pietrangelo has more turnovers leading to more high quality scoring chances/goals against than any previous season. The stats actually contradict your claims, check for yourself:

Alex Pietrangelo - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Pietrangelo's HDCF% (the ratio of high danger chances generated vs given up by the Blues while he is on the ice) is actually above his career average. In other words, the team is generating more high danger chances than they are giving up when Pietrangelo is on the ice this year - he is actually having a career year in this respect, in a positive way.

Pietrangelo's HDGF% is right in line with his career average, certainly not a career worst as you seem to imply.

If you want to talk about take aways/give aways, then fine. His takeaways are right in line with previous years and his give aways are up a bit (from around 40 to around 50 prorated over 82 games). Big freaking whoop. As shown above, the team is still out high danger chancing opponents with Pietro on the ice at the highest rate of his career and the high danger scoring is right in line with previous years. The only part of your claim that is not demonstrably false is that Pietro has been turning the puck over a bit more than usual (roughly 10 more times over 82 games).

Frankly, I think you're basing your conclusions about Pietrangelo's season off a very unreliable eye test and presenting your opinion as fact.
Are turnovers and takeaways subjective stats like errors in baseball? Veterans are least likely to get errors called and given plate preference on balls and strikes.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Are turnovers and takeaways subjective stats like errors in baseball? Veterans are least likely to get errors called and given plate preference on balls and strikes.
Good question, I'm honestly 100% certain. My guess is that there is someone either watching live or watching replays (probably both) who makes a relatively subjective decision on whether a given play was or was not a turnover/giveaway. What exact criteria they use in judging a play, I couldn't tell you.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The problems I'm seeing have less to do with players and more to do with coaching. Chief is doing a heck of a job but I think the team could use a HC with higher skillsets and a like-minded staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad