GDT: Blues @ Avs 2: Electric Blue-galoo| 8pm CST| FSMW|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
There was definitely at least a few people who were vocal about their concern.

I think mostly it just got lost in the noise surrounding the greater Pietrangelo dialogue.
When two or three posters were droning on (in +90% of their posts) about the high level impacts of losing Petro and others taking the bait, it just didn’t seem worth it to get into the detailed impacts. The chamber of echos was so strong between a minority of our posters that their wasn’t enough air left in the room for those who actually brought well developed thoughts on detailed issues.

But honestly, how often does someone make a super well thought out post only to get one response, while someone else posts an emotionally charged hot take and it causes a chain of posts lasting many pages?

It’s incredibly disappointing, but unsurprising in this world we live in that has seemingly forgotten the value of logic and is devoid of emotional intelligence.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
When two or three posters were droning on (in +90% of their posts) about the high level impacts of losing Petro and others taking the bait, it just didn’t seem worth it to get into the detailed impacts. The chamber of echos was so strong between a minority of our posters that their wasn’t enough air left in the room for those who actually brought well developed thoughts on detailed issues.

But honestly, how often does someone make a super well thought out post only to get one response, while someone else posts an emotionally charged hot take and it causes a chain of posts lasting many pages?

It’s incredibly disappointing, but unsurprising in this world we live in that has seemingly forgotten the value of logic and is devoid of emotional intelligence.
Dork.

Reactions: stl76

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
nbN2Aym.gif

Hilarious

I turned it off after it was 4-0. So I missed this.

Wakey, wakey, Blues...the season is ON

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

I wish I could like this more than once. Well said, Celtic Note.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
This is also my ideology. I've seen us get hammered but the resolve to come back and hammer back got stronger. We had what I would say are 'weaker' pieces of the puzzle with players like Maroon, but they contributed to coming back from a bad loss and made the other team pay.

What I am looking for is to see if, after this team gets hammered, if they roll over and die.

ROR is the Captain with actual experience being a Captain
. I'm hoping Chief as well as Army really listen to his input. I didn't feel like Hitch listened to Backes' input (or really anyone else's, for that matter) and I'm hoping ROR doesn't wind up in a situation like Buffalo where management didn't just put him or ignore him, but blamed him for everything and pretty much ran him out of town.

The D unit needs a better strategy because they left out Binny to dry and Husso got hammered. Not saying Husso was great but that D was nowhere to be seen and there's too much money on that blueline to tolerate that.

ROR has never been an NHL captain.

Mar 6, 2012
Allen was a slider, but it's more because he was relying on his athleticism to make a save instead of being positionally sound in the first place. I didn't pay enough attention to Husso playing since the game was pretty well out of hand by the time he came in so I have no idea if its the same situation or not.

The sequence the other night was pretty hilarious though... Panger was literally talking about Husso and how good he was at not over committing and getting back into position, and Pang was in the middle of the anecdote when he gave up a goal by way over committing and doing a really bad job of getting back into position.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Allen was a slider, but it's more because he was relying on his athleticism to make a save instead of being positionally sound in the first place. I didn't pay enough attention to Husso playing since the game was pretty well out of hand by the time he came in so I have no idea if its the same situation or not.
Allen played his best when Brodeur told him to calm down a bit. Last year he was also exceptional, not sure what triggered that but OK

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
You might need to recalibrate your eye test of D men to include Dunn's strengths. Dunn isn't great at defending opposing players with the puck the way D men traditionally did that, but that doesn't mean he isn't effective. He is effective in the D zone by winning races to loose pucks, skating the puck out of trouble and getting the puck off his stick and out of the zone quickly. He isn't great at winning one on one battles or stripping pucks off of guys, but he excels at the aspects of defense that force him to do that substantially less than guys who are. That is more and more how defense is played in today's game and you are going to miss a huge chunk of good defensive play if you don't notice it.

In Dunn's 14:21 at 5 on 5 Wednesday, the Avs only had 9 total shot attempts. 4 of those were blocked, 1 went wide and 4 made it to Jordan Binnington. He had a couple noticeable gaffes, but a D man is doing something very right when the other team gets 4 shots on goal in 14:21. That's a sub-20 shot pace over 60 minutes.

13 of the Avalanche's 21 shots came against the top pairing. Our other two pairs allowed 8 total shots over 30 minutes at even strength. On the road where it is harder to shelter matchups.

I have long term concerns about the D, but the bottom two pairings played great Wednesday.

This aged well.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This aged well.
Are you saying his recent performance changes past performances? Future performances don't invalidate past performances. That's why no one looks at Jake Allen's numbers over the last 2 years and claims that he was an incredible goalie for his entire career as a Blue. Is this what this board is going to be all year? Waiting for a great/bad game from a player to then go back 2 weeks to say past bad/great games didn't actually occur?

Dunn was awful in his last game. Pretty much all of his underlying numbers were way, way negative. In just 10:09 of 5 on 5 ice vs LA on 1/24, the Kings got 10 attempts and put 7 of them on goal. 3 ended up in the net and at least 2 of those were absolutely brutal efforts by Dunn. On 1/23, the Kings put 17 attempts towards our net in Dunn's 14:37 of 5 on 5 time. Only 7 of those 17 made it on net, but high danger chances were 3-1 Kings despite incredibly sheltered usage.

He was really good in our 2-1 SO loss vs SJ, with a really great assist on our only goal and overwhelmingly positive numbers across the board.

For the same reason a few good games don't erase a stretch of bad games, a few bad games don't erase past good games. Dunn playing terribly the last 2 games doesn't change the games when he played well. It also doesn't mean that Berube shouldn't hold him accountable for bad games.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Is this what this board is going to be all year? Waiting for a great/bad game from a player to then go back 2 weeks to say past bad/great games didn't actually occur?
Yes ... yes it will. Have you not paid attention to this place since you signed up? Have you not read any other Blues forum?

Of course that's what this board is going to do, because ... if I gotta explain it, you need to experience it more to figure it out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad