Proposal: Blues and Leafs Prospect Swap

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hey in another thread I proposed a prospect swap b/w the blues and leafs. Some blues fans agreed to the deal. Am looking for leaf fan and 3rd party fans opinions.

To toronto: Mitch reinke

Leafs get a young(22) rhd who has put up good to great play in the NCAA. He is a bit small but has skill and we need to try and improve our rhd within our prospect pool. I feel that reinke would be a good add and would be a realistic piece for the bottom pairing spot. He would be in competition with holl, rosen, Carrick and I think having competition with young players would be beneficial for the leafs.

To St Louis: Jeremy Bracco
A 2015 draft pick. This winger had a solid rookie season in the ahl with 32 pts in 50 games and took strides in his defensive game. He is a prospect liked within the leaf fanbase but we have a lot of wingers so trading a small and skilled winger wont be missed to much. The blues could use a winger with braccos creativity and amazing skating. He could explode next season as he showed great glimpses this season but was the 6 or 7th most relied forward for the marlies.

What do leaf/blues/other fans feel in this deal. Fair? Or is it lopsided for one team.

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
would rather just hang on to Bracco for the upside. Toronto's really missing the top pairing RHD piece, with that everyone else plays more appropriate roles and should thrive in them rather than being asked to do too much. The rest of D corps is really in place for a while:

Rielly - XXX
Dermott/Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman/Rosen/whoever wins the spot - Hainsey/Carrick

Bracco could look good on Matthews' wing if he makes it, his defensive warts would be covered between Matthews and whoever's playing LW (probably Hyman but hopefully someone else, maybe Grundstrom) and his offensive style fits with Matthews as a setup man. That would free up Marner to play with Kadri and Nylander to move to center. So I like the idea of holding on him for what could be

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Not really lopsided one way or the other. But why? Our RHD depth outside of Parayko and Pietro is Schmaltz, Bort, Reinke. Seeing as how last year we had to sign Reinke and immediately play him due to injuries. I'm not so sure we should trade him for Bracco. I'm sure value is fair, I just don't really understand how this is beneficial from our end.

I liked Bracco when I watched him in the WJC but I still just don't know if he'll be able to stick in a 2nd line role. Unless his game has drastically changed I don't see him fitting in well in a checking role or a bottom 6 role. Also, I really doubt he beats out Kyrou/Kostin/Thompson for a spot on the right wing.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I pass as a Blues fan. We actually have a deeper prospect pool at wing than at D. Reinke is our only RHD depth outside the NHL. We have Pietrangelo, Patayko, Bortuzo, Schmaltz (no longer waiver elibible) and then nothing. Reinke is it, outside a couple ECHL guys. Reinke did a credible job in his one game as a fill in. On the RW, we have Kyrou, Foley, Thompson, Thomas (if he doesn't stick at C). SO while Bracco might be better than Reinke and we need RW at the NHL level, I don't think Bracco is better than the RW prospects we have.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Value might be fair, but not very appealing IMO. Would rather a deal around Schmaltz and Kapanen if we are dealing RW for RD.

Reactions: BlueDream

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
The value is definitely there, but as other Blues fans have stated, this doesn't really fit with the Blues' needs. If you are still interested in Reinke, perhaps a pick? A 3rd?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Why though? What exactly are we trading him for a pick for?
Yeah, I was just throwing things out there. I am not really overwhelmed by Reinke. He was "okay" in his one NHL game, and is doing well in college hockey. We all know that does not always translate to NHL success. I do think that if we are holding on to him because he is our only RD depth, then that is a problem we need to address. We can probably find a 7nth D in the UFA pool, though.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Yeah, I was just throwing things out there. I am not really overwhelmed by Reinke. He was "okay" in his one NHL game, and is doing well in college hockey. We all know that does not always translate to NHL success. I do think that if we are holding on to him because he is our only RD depth, then that is a problem we need to address. We can probably find a 7nth D in the UFA pool, though.

A UFA 7th D man would not be waiver exempt. Reinke is still young, I'm not saying he's going to be anything more than Schmaltz by any means but if he is waiver exempt (I don't understand college UFAs contracts) there is no doubt in my mind that we should not be getting rid of him to add depth in the form of UFAs

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
A UFA 7th D man would not be waiver exempt. Reinke is still young, I'm not saying he's going to be anything more than Schmaltz by any means but if he is waiver exempt (I don't understand college UFAs contracts) there is no doubt in my mind that we should not be getting rid of him to add depth in the form of UFAs
I agree with you, and I'm not entirely gung ho on trading him. I was more pointing out that if Reinke is the extent of our RD depth, it is not a good thing, and that perhaps we should add to that depth via UFA. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I agree with you, and I'm not entirely gung ho on trading him. I was more pointing out that if Reinke is the extent of our RD depth, it is not a good thing, and that perhaps we should add to that depth via UFA. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't disagree disageee. I'm sure with us getting our own AHL team this year that will be addressed in the form of a 2-way contract more than likely. Or at least someone who is mainly on the Rampage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad