Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Jared Coreau from ANA

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
6’6 220lbs according to elite prospects. So he’s got size.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I imagine that future considerations essentially boils down to this conversation: "Hey remember when you were bailed out of Miller's injury by claiming Johnson? Well our Finnish boy Husso just got hurt and suddenly we don't have enough minor league goalies. Can we have one of yours?"

But seriously, I'd be very, very surprised if he plays in the NHL. Maybe he rides the bench for a game or two, but I'd bet good money we see Allen/Binny on the NHL roster and Coreau/Fitz in the AHL by Sunday. This might also mean that Husso is injured for a non-negligible amount of time, which would be a huge bummer. Either way, without Husso healthy, we had 2 goalies for 3 roster spots between the AHL and NHL. We needed someone and a career AHL journeyman fits the bill.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I assume that he's been brought in to warm the bench in the NHL, and probably pick up a couple of starts in the next couple of weeks. If that is the case then I am just confused.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Yawn. Typical depth move to supplement San Antonio. Can we finally see Binnington get a few starts once we return Fitzpatrick?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
monkey-gif-11.gif

Army: "Just got off the phone. I think I've got a solution for our goalie problem. I just traded for Anaheim's goalie"
Stillman: Gibson?
Army: No
Stillman:Miller?
Stillman: Not Johnson again?
Army: Nope. Jared Coreau

Stillman:
confused-5-done.gif~c200

Stillman:Is he better than Allen?
Army: Nope
Stillman: Binnington?
Stillman: Fitz?
Army: Don't know.

Army:
tenor.gif
I'm jumping on HFboards to see what they are saying

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Saw him in the USHL years ago. Yes, he has size. Yes, he was better than average there, but he's done about what I expect.

This is a move to get Fitzpatrick back to the minors so he can play, but it's also an implicit stamp that Binnington isn't getting a crack here and Allen is going to carry the team until he implodes, at which point it won't matter who is in net so just throw it to a tweeter who if he plays like crap, ... well, you expected that.

Reactions: 67Blues

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Saw him in the USHL years ago. Yes, he has size. Yes, he was better than average there, but he's done about what I expect.

This is a move to get Fitzpatrick back to the minors so he can play, but it's also an implicit stamp that Binnington isn't getting a crack here and Allen is going to carry the team until he implodes, at which point it won't matter who is in net so just throw it to a tweeter who if he plays like crap, ... well, you expected that.

That makes zero sense since the Blues are assigning Coreau to San Antonio...

St. Louis Blues acquire Jared Coreau from Anaheim Ducks - Sportsnet.ca

https://www.tsn.ca/blues-acquire-goalie-coreau-from-ducks-1.1235697

https://www.foxsports.com/midwest/s...-in-exchange-for-future-considerations-010319

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Sorry, didn't see that.

Now it kind of makes even less sense, unless Binnington is coming back up shortly.

He will be.

The Rampage play Friday and Saturday. The Blues play Saturday, Monday and Tuesday.

Binny will get one of those games in San Antonio and then be recalled to the NHL roster by Sunday. I'm guessing he gets his first career NHL start Tuesday against the Flyers.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
This guy beat the snot out of Husso in the playoffs in Chicago a few years back. Totally outclassed. That team (with Megan, Agostino, Aggozzino, Wisniewski, Blais, etc... and coached by Berube) couldn’t get anything through him.

Then he got named the heir apparent to Howard, and they tried to give him the reigns over Mrazek, and it didn’t work out very well in the end. With more time to adjust, who knows, but with goalies it really seems like you either have it or you don’t.

Yes his stats are subpar this year, but have you looked at the # of goalies with +.900sv%s this season in the AHL? Scoring is up, it’s a bloodbath.

He’s a veteran goalie who can help bring Fitz and Husso along. He’s got more cred than Binnington, who can now stop doing the San Antonio-St. Louis shuffle. When Husso is back, Fitzgerald can go back to Tulsa and dominate there.

This is about as low-risk of a move as you could ask for. Future Considerations? Dawg, sign me up.

Edit:
I imagine Rampage Nate will be pretty stoked about this

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I think it’s the opposite. It means Binnington is up for the rest of the year.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
monkey-gif-11.gif

Army: "Just got off the phone. I think I've got a solution for our goalie problem. I just traded for Anaheim's goalie"

Stillman:
confused-5-done.gif~c200

Army:
tenor.gif

I’M DYING HERE :laugh::laugh::laugh:. This will go down as one the funniest post I have ever read here. Well done.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
monkey-gif-11.gif

Stillman:
confused-5-done.gif~c200

Army:
tenor.gif

Monkey Office GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
So it looks like we sent Anaheim Jared Thomas in exchange for Coreau. We signed him out of Minnesota-Duluth last year and he played a few games for San Antonio. He’s signed to a SPC with San Antonio, but has spent most of the year with Tulsa. He’s done quite well for himself there, and in watching Perunovich’s games last year, he always stood out, often head and shoulders above everyone else. He’s a good hockey player, but his contribution would be less than Coreau’s for sure.

The interesting side of this is that we’re sharing an affilitiation with Anaheim in Tulsa this year, so it’s unlikely that Thomas ends up going anywhere unless San Diego needs a call-up. So basically we got a very serviceable AHL goalie to shore up the rest of the season, allow Fitzpatrick to get his starts in Tulsa or San Antonio until Husso is healthy, and keep a good team in front of Fitzy whenever he goes down again.

There’s a lot of snarkiness about this pick up, but it’s a shrewd move imo. If nothing else, it isn’t going to hurt anything, and it cost us next to nothing.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I imagine that future considerations essentially boils down to this conversation: "Hey remember when you were bailed out of Miller's injury by claiming Johnson? Well our Finnish boy Husso just got hurt and suddenly we don't have enough minor league goalies. Can we have one of yours?"

But seriously, I'd be very, very surprised if he plays in the NHL. Maybe he rides the bench for a game or two, but I'd bet good money we see Allen/Binny on the NHL roster and Coreau/Fitz in the AHL by Sunday. This might also mean that Husso is injured for a non-negligible amount of time, which would be a huge bummer. Either way, without Husso healthy, we had 2 goalies for 3 roster spots between the AHL and NHL. We needed someone and a career AHL journeyman fits the bill.

Basicly this. Our GM is trying to keep good relations with other GMs. Chad Ochocinco Johnson looked good in his two games i thought.
The future considerations might just be some Missouri BBQ put into a cooler & mailed to our GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad