Post-Game Talk: Blues 3 @ Canucks 0 | 3/19/16

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The next management regime will have a lot of work on their hands. They will have to reshape everything from ground zero. It's looking like a dark 5+ years, and I feel like I'm being very generous with that number.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It was no trainwreck when he decided he wanted out.

To be honest, I'd have a lot less contempt for him if he simply admitted that he was looking for a change of scenery. Instead he claimed he never requested a trade, never only insisted that he be traded to one of two teams, etc. He outright lied to the fans and then gets his back up when the fans don't continue to see him as the god he thinks he is.

He's a liar.

Trevor Linden is a liar too right?

edit.

And Jimbo too for saying this was a 100 point team.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The next management regime will have a lot of work on their hands. They will have to reshape everything from ground zero. It's looking like a dark 5+ years, and I feel like I'm being very generous with that number.

I dunno. 5 years is a *lot* of time for a new, competent management team to work with. There's lots of good pieces here, just need to clear the deadwood out and focus on making smart, efficient hockey moves. Similar to when Gillis too over. There was a nascent core just emerging with Kesler, Edler, Burrows, etc that just needed bolstering with guys like Demitra, Sundin, Hamhuis, etc. Now the biggest difference is we have no future Sedins already in the system, but that *could* change this June and, if Jimbo is around another year, probably next June as well.

It's dark currently but it isn't without some foundational* pieces as well.

*Does not refer to Sutter or Dorsett.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I dunno. 5 years is a *lot* of time for a new, competent management team to work with. There's lots of good pieces here, just need to clear the deadwood out and focus on making smart, efficient hockey moves. Similar to when Gillis too over. There was a nascent core just emerging with Kesler, Edler, Burrows, etc that just needed bolstering with guys like Demitra, Sundin, Hamhuis, etc. Now the biggest difference is we have no future Sedins already in the system, but that *could* change this June and, if Jimbo is around another year, probably next June as well.

It's dark currently but it isn't without some foundational* pieces as well.

*Does not refer to Sutter or Dorsett.

It's going to take a lot of time to not just reshape the team but also everything around it.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Dressing room is clearly divided. Every aspect of this franchise is divided. Is anyone on the same page?

Linden is too busy being a sensitive little ***** and making sure his hair looks good.

Benning is too busy drooling over Dorsett, Sbisa and guys that can rip the puck in the upcoming draft.

Weisbrod doesn't even know where he is half the time.

Dressing room is clearly divided and just waiting for the season to end.

Higgins seemed upset he was even called up judging from his quotes. That says a lot.

But hey, at least we have Utica. It's not quite as ****ed up as this stupid team.

Actually, Benning has pooched that club up as well.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Not sure it is going to be the doomsday scenario often talked about on here.

Firstly, this core was done and this team needed to be rebuilt anyways.

There are definately reasons to be concerned about this management team, but there first 2 drafts look pretty good. Without question drafting is the most important component of the rebuild. So if Benning is here for 4-5 years and nails his drafts, he will leave behind a good core of young players to build around.

It is not going to set the franchise back for 10 years because of a Dorsett or Sbisa signing or because he traded Shinkaruk.

Where this team is at, they have to draft well, draft good talent and be patient while they mature. It is just the reality.

Benning may well not be the man for the overall job, but if he oversees 4-5 really good drafts, he will have dome something no other Vancouver GM has managed to do, and the future will not be that bad.

We have heard how bad it was to move a 2nd for Vey...on its own a disappointing move...but in the same draft he adds Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin. if they all become players you can live with the odd mistake. Next draft he adds Boeser and Baertschi.

For where this team is at, we may be ok with a guy who drafts well as a opposed to a GM that makes decent pro moves but cant draft well.
As long as these guys hit their draft picks it will not necessarily be the doomsday you all post about.

And I am not defending Benning personally, just saying the drama here might be a little excessive. You don't get blue chip players without a couple of bad non playoff seasons. Part of the cycle.

If Benning hits on Bearschi and Tryamkin it goes a long way to eclipsing over paying a Dorsett for a couple of years. It is about the core we draft, not the periphery players.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
What is this "else" you speak of?

Management team, have to hire the right people back into the right roles, or remake departments that are shut down (analytics) and figure out how to incorporate things like that. Hopefully scouting won't need to be fixed but we'll know this year if there is any impact from Crawford being fired.

The overall culture, getting guys that work hard, willing to take a cut for the team.

I mean it's not just the players that makeup the team, you need competent people around them to make things work. If it was just the players then the Oilers wouldn't suck for long as they have.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The defense looks better for next year.

The forward group needs to be assessed in the cold hard light of day and decisions must be made. Deletions are needed and this will be painful.

Goaltending might be solid again. Markstrom should be threatening to take the starting job. Miller should be fighting for starts and credibility going forward.

Coaching needs to be more sensitive to emerging trends.

Management needs to draft well and find more hidden gems like Hutton. They need to stay away from older players altogether but especially FAs! Cuts need to be made and they must know it. I hope they get it done!

Ownership needs to sell. Take the land value and go elsewhere. Chase the build contract in Seattle and continue to profit. Canucks can move into Colosseum and go to an internal cap model until the economy recovers.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Not sure it is going to be the doomsday scenario often talked about on here.

Firstly, this core was done and this team needed to be rebuilt anyways.

There are definately reasons to be concerned about this management team, but there first 2 drafts look pretty good. Without question drafting is the most important component of the rebuild. So if Benning is here for 4-5 years and nails his drafts, he will leave behind a good core of young players to build around.

It is not going to set the franchise back for 10 years because of a Dorsett or Sbisa signing or because he traded Shinkaruk.

Where this team is at, they have to draft well, draft good talent and be patient while they mature. It is just the reality.

Benning may well not be the man for the overall job, but if he oversees 4-5 really good drafts, he will have dome something no other Vancouver GM has managed to do, and the future will not be that bad.

We have heard how bad it was to move a 2nd for Vey...on its own a disappointing move...but in the same draft he adds Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin. if they all become players you can live with the odd mistake. Next draft he adds Boeser and Baertschi.

For where this team is at, we may be ok with a guy who drafts well as a opposed to a GM that makes decent pro moves but cant draft well.
As long as these guys hit their draft picks it will not necessarily be the doomsday you all post about.

And I am not defending Benning personally, just saying the drama here might be a little excessive. You don't get blue chip players without a couple of bad non playoff seasons. Part of the cycle.

If Benning hits on Bearschi and Tryamkin it goes a long way to eclipsing over paying a Dorsett for a couple of years. It is about the core we draft, not the periphery players.

Yeah, I'm more worried about the reports and rumors that Weisbrod is having more and more influence on the managing side.

IIRC there were reports about people speculating if Benning really didn't want to be a GM rather just scout.

I would be all for demoting him to head scout.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Management team, have to hire the right people back into the right roles, or remake departments that are shut down (analytics) and figure out how to incorporate things like that. Hopefully scouting won't need to be fixed but we'll know this year if there is any impact from Crawford being fired.

The overall culture, getting guys that work hard, willing to take a cut for the team.

I mean it's not just the players that makeup the team, you need competent people around them to make things work. If it was just the players then the Oilers wouldn't suck for long as they have.

Gotcha. Some truth to that, though I don't think it is necessarily a *long* process. Mainly takes a competent leader at the top with the vision and plan for the club, then fill the hires. Probably talking one off-season, maybe two. Of course this should be an ongoing process rather than a "one-time" thing. But it is definitely doable. I mean Gillis brought most of his key hires in his first year, did he not? And even though he never really solved all the hires (i.e. Delorme), he certainly *could have* if he had been so inclined.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Dressing room is clearly divided. Every aspect of this franchise is divided. Is anyone on the same page?

Linden is too busy being a sensitive little ***** and making sure his hair looks good.

Benning is too busy drooling over Dorsett, Sbisa and guys that can rip the puck in the upcoming draft.

Weisbrod doesn't even know where he is half the time.

Dressing room is clearly divided and just waiting for the season to end.

Higgins seemed upset he was even called up judging from his quotes. That says a lot.

But hey, at least we have Utica. It's not quite as ****ed up as this stupid team.

wheres hockeywidow when we need some juicy tidbits. weather its true or not. the guys not including the rookies have mailed it in. just want the season to be over with.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Well we have a lot of guys who are young. I mean just last night. Etem, Vey, Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Pedan, Trymakin, Hutton, Gaunce, Grenier.

I think there are at least 2 that deserves a lot of criticism when it comes to not working hard.

Daniel Sedin: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."
From imac on Twitter

my moneys on bartkowski/vey:laugh: plus vrbata since hes been invisible all season. doesnt help that wd didnt put him with the twins earlier in the year to increase his trade value.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Gotcha. Some truth to that, though I don't think it is necessarily a *long* process. Mainly takes a competent leader at the top with the vision and plan for the club, then fill the hires. Probably talking one off-season, maybe two. Of course this should be an ongoing process rather than a "one-time" thing. But it is definitely doable. I mean Gillis brought most of his key hires in his first year, did he not? And even though he never really solved all the hires (i.e. Delorme), he certainly *could have* if he had been so inclined.

Yeah and Delrome is now a head scout again isn't him? So whoever that comes in hopefully won't give him another chance.

Culture thing, that one is going to be interesting. Really need to dump Dorsett, guy is like anti-culture. Gets paid because he works hard and then proceeds to not work hard.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Yup. I think the Sedins need to look back to their first couple of seasons. You could pretty well knock them off the puck and onto their ass by blowing on them.

I think that's why Daniel made the comment is reflecting on what made them better players. The single biggest difference in the success of their cycling play is a result of consistently winning 1 v 1 battles with bigger defenders and they absolutely worked tirelessly to get better at it. Frankly it's the trait that keeps them effective at their age, shot velocity, speed etc have declined, they still win battles vs defenders with positioning, effort, and savvy.

Why are people making this a young vs. old thing? It's just speculative BS.

I mean, I think it looks that way because there really aren't veterans to criticize in the lineup last night (save maybe Bart).

Hard to throw that shade at Hamhuis playing big minutes, or Higgins in game 1 back from the A. Burrows has lost a lot of things but not effort.

I was at the game, when I saw the first quote the names that came to mind were:

Virtanen (he was lost all night)
Horvat (couple of good rushes but consistently beaten in the neutral zone on breakouts)
Vey (worst game in a while for him)
Etem (barely there)
Grenier (was a disaster with the twins, didn't use his size at all)
Hutton (had a good chance late, but got turned around at the blue line a bunch and got exposed in bigger minutes by some of the blues bigger and faster players.)

I think after seeing this quote to Botch:

“You have to work for your chances. You have to work for your teammates. Once we realize that, I think we can be a good team,†Daniel said.

“You need all guys. It can’t be five, six or seven guys. It has to be 20 guys.

“It’s a tough league to just go out there and hope.â€

There’s only five, six or seven guys giving it?

Uh, wow.

“Young or whatever, you have to bring it. The effort has to be there, every shift. You can’t lose battles and lose pucks. One on one battles are key in this league.

“Until we understand that, it’s going to look like this.

“Coaches preach it every day. It’s there from time to time but not enough.â€

The 5-6-7 guys (let's say Miller aside who worked his tail off and the one on one battles thing doesn't really apply to)

-Hamhuis (honestly, carried the defense, was visibly gassed late but was still not only logging big minutes, but generally was most effective defender and could be seen routinely coaching the other 5 guys)
- Sedins
- Baertschi - was the only young guy I saw turn a forecheck into a chance all night, once great sequence where he won puck battle, drew penalty then had best chance of night on PP.
- Burrows - clearly has lost a step but can see the effort consistently. It's sad to watch because he can't do everything he wants to.
Maybe Higgins? Didn't show a lot but hard to say in game 1 back and obviously not been with the team so doubt he's on Daniels mind effort wise.

My only other comment on Daniel's take is that, end of 3 in 4 nights they all looked a bit flat, so tough to see that comment in that light as a bit harsh, but certainly was a fair take after watching them sleep walk through an ass kicking like that.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
My only other comment on Daniel's take is that, end of 3 in 4 nights they all looked a bit flat, so tough to see that comment in that light as a bit harsh, but certainly was a fair take after watching them sleep walk through an ass kicking like that.

No I disagree.

This is the first time in Dank's career that he has EVER said something like this so we need to treat as such: a very significant statement.

There's some real crap going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad