Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don’t think the Sharks would consider that. Edstrom + pick 33 for Snuggerud would be a fair trade IMO.

But I really like Edstrom. Kid’s a monster. MBN gets a lot of hype in this year’s draft (and deservedly so I might add) but I’d say Edstrom is a very similar player. And he’s 6’3” and plays C, a higher value position.

Sharks aren’t giving up Edstrom though. Not after just recently acquiring him as the main piece for Hertl.
I'm not convinced that he was the centerpiece of the Hertl deal because the Sharks loved him specifically. He was pretty much the only prospect of high value Vegas could offer in that deal. The rest of their higher value prospects are more NHL-ready and will be used as low-cost NHL players while their window is still open. Vegas wasn't moving their 2024 1st with the draft being hosted at the Sphere this year. They gave up the 2025 1st in the Hertl trade and Vegas was probably pretty hesitant to give up both their 2025 and 2026 1sts. Given their center depth after the Hertl trade, I would bet that Vegas viewed Edstrom and a future 1st as more expendable than two future 1sts.

I think there is a good chance that San Jose got Edstrom in the deal because he was the high value asset that was most expendable to Vegas. And then winning the lottery to get Celebrini makes Edstrom objectively less important to the franchise. I don't really see a path for him to ever be a top 6 center for San Jose with Celebrini and Will Smith both existing in that organization. And with Bystedt being a year further along the development path, Edstrom is going to have a really difficult time even getting into their top 9 as a center.

I see him as the 4th best center prospect in their system (once they draft Celebrini) and I could see them moving him sooner than later to address another need. Not sure that getting a prospect like Snuggy to bolster organizational wing depth is that need, but it would make sense to me. If they believe Edstrom will only fit on their team as a winger and they believe that Snuggy will be the better winger, that's a prospect swap that makes some sense to me.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
So would you make the offer I decided on to start? Halttunen, Edstrom, 33 and swap 14 and 16.
Yeah I think I would. My only hesitancy is that I'd want to fully explore the possibility of swapping Snuggy for a young D man. I think that we clearly 'win' that deal on raw value, but if I'm trading Snuggy I still prioritize addressing a specific organizational need than simply getting the most value in a package.

I wouldn't consider that trade if I was San Jose though.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
This draft is weak on centers rich on D and wing. I felt I could draft 2 D with 14 and 33 and 38 or the other second.

I was trying to figure out my bottom which was too low. That’s why I asked on Halttunen and 33. It is too low. Edstrom and Halttunen may be a low

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I never mentioned Moore. I don’t really like Moore. I mean, I like him but I was adamant last season I thought he was overrated as he’s also someone where I question his hockey sense. Blazing speed and he works hard but…does it actually lead to a lot of great offensive plays? Meh. I value Snuggerud a fair bit more. But anyway, Turnbull said he meant to write Will Smith there anyway so let’s stop talking about freaking Oliver Moore.

I also see Snuggy as our #2 but I don’t see a ton of separation. I see Dvorsky, Snuggerud, Stenberg, Lindstein and Bolduc at all about the same tier. That’s how I’d order them but I value all of them pretty highly…but not super high. I think compared to most here, I’m a little lower on Dvorsky and Snuggerud and a little higher on Stenberg, Lindstein and Bolduc. Am I right? Who knows. But that’s how I see it.

I'm right with you, so..um, we're probably wrong I think several people gloss over concerns with Dvo and snuggy while sleeping on the other 3. I'd have Bolduc above Lindstein, but Lindstein is the one I've seen the least of, and D are the ones I find hardest to gauge.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If our goal is to add some picks to get extra defensemen from the draft, I feel like our best route is trading Buchnevich and then signing some decent stop gap to fill his spot in the lineup. And while we all know how the Kyrou discussion goes on here, if Army doesn't want him long-term, it makes sense to move him before his NTC kicks in, so major deal involving him wouldn't shock me either.

Also wouldn't shock me if we don't make any trades.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
No way i would trade Snuggs. I love the idea of having two snipers in Bolduc and Snuggerud on two different lines they’re going to mesh well with the playmaking of Thomas and Kyrou. I would never want to trade Binner either lol.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'm right with you, so..um, we're probably wrong I think several people gloss over concerns with Dvo and snuggy while sleeping on the other 3. I'd have Bolduc above Lindstein, but Lindstein is the one I've seen the least of, and D are the ones I find hardest to gauge.
I find D the hardest to gauge too. Well, harder than forwards anyway. Goalies are the hardest.

But I keep getting more and more impressed the more I watch Lindstein. He’s not flashy or have great offensive skills so he’s never going to put up gaudy numbers or really ever be considered an offensive d-man but if I were to rank the Blues prospects in order of hockey sense, I’d put him at #1. He’s just so poised, is a breakout and transition machine, always has his head on a swivel and makes the right pass. Nothing super fancy but all the little plays that make for winning hockey, shutting down the opposition and transitioning the puck to offense.

He’s not overly physical but plays good gaps and closes in on players well and knows how to position his body to separate the man from the puck. In a similar vein of Bouwmeester or Lidstrom. Not saying he’s going to be remotely that level of d-man but that how he plays D on the rush. No booming hits but simply snuffs out the play, takes the puck and makes a tape to tape outlet to a teammate.

He’s not going to put up a lot of points, at least not a ton directly generated himself, but I do think he’ll still rack up plenty of primary and especially secondary assists simply from transitions/outlet passes and always having that ability to find the open teammate.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Dvorsky and Snuggerud clearly have the most upside, but they do have some issues that could really limit them as pros. Lindstein and Stenberg to me feel like the safest prospects we have, while still having pretty good upside, just remains to be seen how much upside. Tough to judge Bolduc, but her certainly impressed me in his time up.

I think the worry is ultimately for this core to be a contender, a bulk of the prospects have to hit the higher end of their potential, and the liklihood of that happening isn't that high. Dvorsky has the potential to form a great 1-2 combo with Thomas at center, but what if he ultimately doesn't stick at center, or if he doesn't develop into a top 6 producer because of his skating or while his shot is a strength, will it translate to the NHL? I do think we have to acknowledge that none of our prospects are can't miss types.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And then I'm at least happy that we have a handful of mid-round prospects that I feel pretty good about developing into NHL players. Maybe not as important to a contender, those players do help determine if a squad is a contender or a pretender. For as good of top talent as Edmonton has, they have shit depth because they can't draft in the mid rounds. Getting good 3rd pair or bottom 6 guys for cheap as opposed to paying for vets is huge.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
And then I'm at least happy that we have a handful of mid-round prospects that I feel pretty good about developing into NHL players. Maybe not as important to a contender, those players do help determine if a squad is a contender or a pretender. For as good of top talent as Edmonton has, they have shit depth because they can't draft in the mid rounds. Getting good 3rd pair or bottom 6 guys for cheap as opposed to paying for vets is huge.
agreed, but the part that we tend to overlook is the importance of player development. We seem to be fairly proactive in working with drafted players even before we get them to ahl. it's this work, along with the role and coaching they get in the nhl, their path to nhl, whether we give them chance to play through mistakes, etc.. this part is sometimes even more vital than who you pick. Some organizations are much better at it than others. Oil have not been good at it, as you allude to. Dallas, conversely, has been really good at all of these areas and therefore seem to have much higher hit rate. Stars may well have better scouts than Oil, but that is only part of the story. Regardless of how rest of these playoffs unfold, Stars really are a model organization.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
agreed, but the part that we tend to overlook is the importance of player development. We seem to be fairly proactive in working with drafted players even before we get them to ahl. it's this work, along with the role and coaching they get in the nhl, their path to nhl, whether we give them chance to play through mistakes, etc.. this part is sometimes even more vital than who you pick. Some organizations are much better at it than others. Oil have not been good at it, as you allude to. Dallas, conversely, has been really good at all of these areas and therefore seem to have much higher hit rate. Stars may well have better scouts than Oil, but that is only part of the story. Regardless of how rest of these playoffs unfold, Stars really are a model organization.
Comparing Nill and Holland is telling.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Totally agree. It’s those top 5 that we really need to be the needle movers but you need quality depth too. For the Blues, I see that group as Dean, Pekarcik, Burns, Fischer and Zherenko. Followed by Buchinger, Kaskimaki, Stancl and Peterson. We’re going to need some good middle to bottom of the lineup guys to develop from that group.

And then hopefully get a few surprise contributors out of Ellis, Loof, Koromyslov, Gaudet, Dickinson, Vorobyov, Robertsson, Susuyev, Mayich etc.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Totally agree. It’s those top 5 that we really need to be the needle movers but you need quality depth too. For the Blues, I see that group as Dean, Pekarcik, Burns, Fischer and Zherenko. Followed by Buchinger, Kaskimaki, Stancl and Peterson. We’re going to need some good middle to bottom of the lineup guys to develop from that group.

And then hopefully get a few surprise contributors out of Ellis, Loof, Koromyslov, Gaudet, Dickinson, Vorobyov, Robertsson, Susuyev, Mayich etc.
The cup winning Blues team had a good mix of players drafted/developed, signed from FA and acquired through trades. I don't think we're as far off from being a contender as is widely accepted as fact around here.

Reactions: Reality Czech

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The cup winning Blues team had a good mix of players drafted/developed, signed from FA and acquired through trades. I don't think we're as far off from being a contender as is widely accepted as fact around here.
The big piece is getting that #1 D. Similar to O'Reilly, we don't have to draft it, but we do need it.

Reactions: Meatball

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
now that chief is in yyz, who do we think he wants to reunite with? and who might waive ntc bc they enjoyed playing for chief? might there be a match?

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

I think Dvorsky and Snuggerud clearly have the most upside, but they do have some issues that could really limit them as pros. Lindstein and Stenberg to me feel like the safest prospects we have, while still having pretty good upside, just remains to be seen how much upside. Tough to judge Bolduc, but her certainly impressed me in his time up.

I think the worry is ultimately for this core to be a contender, a bulk of the prospects have to hit the higher end of their potential, and the liklihood of that happening isn't that high. Dvorsky has the potential to form a great 1-2 combo with Thomas at center, but what if he ultimately doesn't stick at center, or if he doesn't develop into a top 6 producer because of his skating or while his shot is a strength, will it translate to the NHL? I do think we have to acknowledge that none of our prospects are can't miss types.

They are definitely not any type of contender, the D is basically in the toilet after the current NHL group is gone. Our D prospect pool I would rank somewhere around 25th in the league at best.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I’m wondering if the Maple Leafs could be a draft trade partner, sending us their 23rd and minor pieces in exchange for Buchnevich, who fits the style Berube will want them to play. They have tons of money potentially coming off the books after next season (Tavares), and it allows them to seriously consider trading Marner for D help.

I think it only makes sense for the Blues of a player they highly covet (perhaps Solberg?) is still there after pick 22. It also creates much more cap space for DA to work with to sign veteran stop-gaps to keep the team competitive, per his outlook/strategy. My ideal 1st round draft is using our first 2nd rounder and 16 to trade up a few spots to take one of the high d-men (Yakemchuk would be my target), then executing the trade above. 1% chance either of those happen, but it would be an exciting 1st round!

Reactions: ArenaRat

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I’m wondering if the Maple Leafs could be a draft trade partner, sending us their 23rd and minor pieces in exchange for Buchnevich, who fits the style Berube will want them to play. They have tons of money potentially coming off the books after next season (Tavares), and it allows them to seriously consider trading Marner for D help.

I think it only makes sense for the Blues of a player they highly covet (perhaps Solberg?) is still there after pick 22. It also creates much more cap space for DA to work with to sign veteran stop-gaps to keep the team competitive, per his outlook/strategy. My ideal 1st round draft is using our first 2nd rounder and 16 to trade up a few spots to take one of the high d-men (Yakemchuk would be my target), then executing the trade above. 1% chance either of those happen, but it would be an exciting 1st round!
It’s an interesting idea, but not sure how feasible trading Marner for D is given his NMC and the difficulty of a big money in/out trade in today’s NHL. Seems like a long shot and if Toronto can’t move Marner for a dman they covet then doubt they will be interested in trading their 1st for a forward.

Frankly, I think this is going to be a pretty boring offseason trade/FA wise for the Blues. I’m guessing/hoping the plan is to keep eyes & ears open for a deal for a difference maker, but mostly focus on staying the course and drafting/developing our young guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad