Blue Note @ Blue Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
They've been playing out of their minds, and well above their overall offensive talent level all season long. It had to catch up to them eventually, with the pieces they added they should be fighting for the last playoff spot this year, not hanging onto first in the Central with less than 20 games left to play.

Rinne has been super, and Forsberg has become a big difference maker in The NHL, and they still have Weber, and Jones is coming into his own. They have a good team. But, as stated above, their offence had to be playing over their heads. Still, it should be a dogfight among the top 3 teams all season (if Winnipeg doesn't make a miracle run and make it a 4-way race).

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Polak in a landslide. Although then the issue of Jackman-Polak returns

I'd rather have Bort than Polak, I guess Roman hasn't been gone long enough for me to miss him. But I like what I've seen from Bortuzzo so maybe that's it.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Rinne has been super, and Forsberg has become a big difference maker in The NHL, and they still have Weber, and Jones is coming into his own. They have a good team. But, as stated above, their offence had to be playing over their heads. Still, it should be a dogfight among the top 3 teams all season (if Winnipeg doesn't make a miracle run and make it a 4-way race).

And they weren't a playoff team last year. Forsberg 21 goals (53 total points) did not change that team from a lottery team to first in the Central. Adding Riberio, Neal and the emergence of Forsberg combined with their D and Rinne should have put them at around the 5th-6th spot in the west when the playoffs start. Not hanging on to 1st in the Central with 15 games left to play (17 for us.) That's just my opinion, their offense had been playing the perfect game (it seems like) for over 60 games. Something on that side of the puck had to give way at some point.

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
What is Polak doing in that .gif?

Pretty much couldn't have asked for a better game to be my first. Plenty of goals, a fight. Loved it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd rather have Bort than Polak, I guess Roman hasn't been gone long enough for me to miss him. But I like what I've seen from Bortuzzo so maybe that's it.

I said it earlier, but I'm with you polak is quickly getting overrated. As we seen to night, pucks going in off him is a regular occurrence. He wasn't a great passer, I didn't think his gap control was good, and he also took boarding and roughing penalties often. He may have been a great locker room guy, but on the ice, I don't miss him.

Last edited:

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Blues did what you are supposed to do if you are a top team!!! That is you are supposed to go in and win games against lesser teams. Maple Leafs looked pretty inept tonight. Blues beat a team that they should have beat and got the points. Preds played a lower ranked team and lost. To win you have to win the games that you should win against lesser teams. Preds lost to a team that they needed to beat. You need to win half of your games against top ranked teams and win all your games against lesser teams and you will lead the league.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Couple thoughts:

I feel very bad for Polak. He could be a big help in their rebuild though. Not that he's an incredible player, but his work ethic and compete level set a very good example for a team trying to come together.

Lindstrom should probably just go back to Europe. He's a star there. Plenty of guys are great in Europe and just can't put it together over here.

That shot by Schwartz was insane.

Boy the Leafs are bad. The whole team has clearly given up.

Captain America*

They've sucked ever since trading Olli

This is a good observation; Rinne (a Finn) could be a little bent out of shape since Jokinen (a Finn) was moved near the deadline without his input. Could be affecting his on ice performance.

I'm a little disappointed no Blues player went and at least had a chat with the defenseman that slammed Olli in down in the crease and then jumped on his head. Need to send a message that kind of abuse against our newly acquired elder statesman won't be tolerated.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Can someone admit that the Blues have a decent team? Every year with the exception of a few years back we have had a chance going into the playoffs. There are teams and fanbases that would kill to have the opportunities to play in the playoffs. Blues have always been competitive with the exception of those few years. I've been a lifelong Chief's fan in football, they haven't won one since the 70's when I was a kid, but they have put competitive teams on the field the majority of the years that I have been a fan. As long as our team gives us hope and a chance to win the championship almost every year, what are we complaining about??? Sorry, I've probably been spending too much time on other Blue's forums.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Hopefully this will help band the Blues together like a college football team who beats a cream puff at the beginning of a season for confidence. Otherwise this game was just a free 2 points. Hopefully we can use this as a springboard to get humming for the playoffs.

I really feel bad for Polak. He doesn't deserve this, he was a great player for us. Hopefully he can get moved out of town and to a better team in the offseason.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
What is Polak doing in that .gif?

Pretty much couldn't have asked for a better game to be my first. Plenty of goals, a fight. Loved it.

Pretty kool for your first game huh? You have been initiated into a group of people that know what a wonderful sport hockey is, especially live. No one ever forgets their first.

I get what border Chiefs guy is saying, he has a good point. The Blues like the Chiefs are competitive to the end way more times than not and isn't that what the excitement is about? The season coming down to the wire and your team is still in it? That is why we watch guys, at least it is why I watch.

As to Polak he is a guy that will never be a star but adds savvy, some body checks and good corner play. This guy is better than 60% of the D's in the league when you add up the intangibles. I feel bad for him actually on what is now a walking corpse of a team. Said it from day one, Dion Ploof is NO captain. Good defender, Physical but he is no leader. He has been asked to do something in Toronto that is just not in his tool box IMO. This is a club that has no interest in back checking, rumbling along the boards or blocking shots. Wish we played them again in 2015. Embarrassing!

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I can understand feeling bad for Polak, but he wasn't a "great player" for us, like I've seen a few people say now.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I can understand feeling bad for Polak, but he wasn't a "great player" for us, like I've seen a few people say now.

I doubt anyone could argue that he's a great player. He was a useful player no doubt, and I'd also say that the Russell-Polak pairing was greater than the sum of their parts

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
You're correct in that he wasn't the most skilled player to play for us. However, over the course of his time here, we never heard him complain (Ian Cole) and he always worked his butt off. He's an above average bottom pairing guy that was pretty effective when paired with a solid puck mover (Russell) on the opposite side. I'm not the guy who falls in love with the scrappy middle infielder that couldn't hit a ball past second base, but Polak had enough skill mixed with his effort to grab a place in my heart. He was a warrior for us in his time here. It pains me to see a guy who had that much heart for us stuck on a team that's literally the butt of every NHL joke.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
You're correct in that he wasn't the most skilled player to play for us. However, over the course of his time here, we never heard him complain (Ian Cole) and he always worked his butt off. He's an above average bottom pairing guy that was pretty effective when paired with a solid puck mover (Russell) on the opposite side. I'm not the guy who falls in love with the scrappy middle infielder that couldn't hit a ball past second base, but Polak had enough skill mixed with his effort to grab a place in my heart. He was a warrior for us in his time here. It pains me to see a guy who had that much heart for us stuck on a team that's literally the butt of every NHL joke.

how can you even be a Cards fan then? I thought it was a pre-req...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad