Cut/Released: Blue Jays release Troy Tulowitzki

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Yesterday there was a report (I think even with a quote from Atkins) saying he was in great shape and feeling great. Heh.

Might as well just move on from him and take a bath in 2019 with Martins contract as well.

Field whatever team you can have that $58 million count for the year and come back fresh in 2020 ready to spend to make the team competitive.

They are simply moving up his 2020 salary along with the payment they owe to decline the option year they have on the contract. That’s around $20 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Rockies’ new 1B

But really, f*** injuries

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So if he signs with a new team, are the Jays off the hook for the remainder of that contract? Or how would that work.. Assuming so, but its been a long day... lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So if he signs with a new team, are the Jays off the hook for the remainder of that contract? Or how would that work.. Assuming so, but its been a long day... lol
MLB contracts are guaranteed. Plus, unlike the NHL I do not believe that there is a set buyout rate for releasing a player.

Jays are moving up when he gets his money. So, maybe Tulo agrees to take the lump sum of $35 million out of the remaining $38 million he is owed to get his money up front and move on.

Jays are in the hook for it.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
MLB contracts are guaranteed. Plus, unlike the NHL I do not believe that there is a set buyout rate for releasing a player.

Jays are moving up when he gets his money. So, maybe Tulo agrees to take the lump sum of $35 million out of the remaining $38 million he is owed to get his money up front and move on.

Jays are in the hook for it.
So essentially if he signs with a new team he gets to double dip? (get paid for both contracts)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Makes sense. Knew he wasn't going to be the starting SS next season, so why wait? Wasn't going to fetch much in a trade, unlike Donaldson (whom they should've moved last offseason at this time).

Reactions: Graves

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So essentially if he signs with a new team he gets to double dip? (get paid for both contracts)
Given his Health, I highly doubt he gets much of an offer.

Any team taking him in via trade would have him for 2 years. Even if the Jays ate all but $1 million per year I would guess teams simply didn’t want someone who would break down.

At best he gets a 1 year deal if he can find a team.

As for double dipping , no different than the NHL. Orpik got bought out and went back to Washington.

Giradi got bought out by NYR and signed with Tb. He gets more in total than if he had been traded to TB.

Reactions: CPTN71

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

The Jays have to pay him the $38M, and he gets paid whatever the new team signs him for.

Some team probably signs him for the vet minimum, but he's just a lottery ticket at this point.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The Jays have to pay him the $38M, and he gets paid whatever the new team signs him for.

Some team probably signs him for the vet minimum, but he's just a lottery ticket at this point.

Not a terrible way for his time in Toronto to come to an end ;)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's commendable that his agent came out and was appreciative of the Jays cutting him loose this early.

What I find amusing, though, is Tulo's 180 on being a versatile player. Near the end of last season, after he'd missed every game, he was adamant that next year with Toronto he would ONLY play if he was the starting SS, otherwise he would hold out.

Now that the Jays have wisely decided that that's not going to work for them, and with Tulo now a veteran free agent, suddenly his tune has changed and he's open to other roles. :laugh:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's commendable that his agent came out and was appreciative of the Jays cutting him loose this early.

What I find amusing, though, is Tulo's 180 on being a versatile player. Near the end of last season, after he'd missed every game, he was adamant that next year with Toronto he would ONLY play if he was the starting SS, otherwise he would hold out.

Now that the Jays have wisely decided that that's not going to work for them, and with Tulo now a veteran free agent, suddenly his tune has changed and he's open to other roles. :laugh:

If that's the case, Toronto was foolish to release him now since it seems as though in a few short months he would've breached his contract and the remaining 2 years could've been voided

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad