Blue Jays Discussion: Blue Jays 3-5 in spring training. The ship is sinking. Cut Everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is it wrong of me wanting to see the Padres finish last in the NL West? I think back to the 2013 season when the Blue Jays made all those similar trades wanting to win now, being called the favorites and it didn't work for them.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Is it wrong of me wanting to see the Padres finish last in the NL West? I think back to the 2013 season when the Blue Jays made all those similar trades wanting to win now, being called the favorites and it didn't work for them.

I wouldn't wish ill on them, but anyone telling you they're better than the Dodgers or Giants hasn't looked at the projections.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

I don't want the Padres to fail, personally. They're probably the only NL West team I don't dislike, other than maybe Colorado. That said, I do think they aren't gonna be as good as a lot of people think. Horrible outfield D, even worse infield.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't wish ill on them, but anyone telling you they're better than the Dodgers or Giants hasn't looked at the projections.

Simply put, they're not. Giants never look incredible on paper but look at their results. Then look at the Dodgers. They look scary. Not sure Padres are even a playoff team.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Simply put, they're not. Giants never look incredible on paper but look at their results. Then look at the Dodgers. They look scary. Not sure Padres are even a playoff team.

Playoffs, no. But they'll atleast be waiting until June/July to make their October vacation plans which is an improvement.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The Blue Jays were rumored to be players in the Shields derby, but had not spoken to his camp in the past two weeks.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/09/why-james-shields-is-a-risk-the-hyperactive-padres-had-to-take/

I wish we had at least contacted him, what he signed for was reasonable for the Jays to spend I think. Maybe he would have come here, maybe he wouldn't have, but it was worth a shot.

I'd say they didn't want to sign Shields without a suitor for Dickey, but had they signed Shields then a market for Dickey may have formed from those who missed out on Shields. It's risky, but had they been able to trade Dickey and Navarro it would have almost covered Shields salary for the upcoming year and we have Buerhle dropping off the payroll next year. I would have done it but hey I'm not a GM, and hey I don't know what restrictions Rogers put on AA so it's all speculation.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
http://nypost.com/2015/02/09/why-james-shields-is-a-risk-the-hyperactive-padres-had-to-take/

I wish we had at least contacted him, what he signed for was reasonable for the Jays to spend I think. Maybe he would have come here, maybe he wouldn't have, but it was worth a shot.

I'd say they didn't want to sign Shields without a suitor for Dickey, but had they signed Shields then a market for Dickey may have formed from those who missed out on Shields. It's risky, but had they been able to trade Dickey and Navarro it would have almost covered Shields salary for the upcoming year and we have Buerhle dropping off the payroll next year. I would have done it but hey I'm not a GM, and hey I don't know what restrictions Rogers put on AA so it's all speculation.

They may have been in contact and were told the only way he's going north is if you blow us away with an offer. If the jays had offered 20 per for four years he'd still be a padre. He wanted to be on the west coast because that's where he grew up. We're about as far away from the west coast as you can get

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Shields Is overrated. If you look at his career numbers at Fenway and Yankee stadium they are terrible. Now throw in having to make half his starts at Rogers Centre and he would have a lot more rough starts than he had the past two years in Kansas City.

There will be better pitchers on the market next year that will be more worthy of an investment.

CalgaryLeaf*

Report: Detroit Tigers in contact with Toronto Blue Jays about catcher Dioner Navarro

By Chris Iott | [email protected]
Follow on Twitter
on February 09, 2015 at 2:29 PM, updated February 09, 2015 at 2:31 PM

The Detroit Tigers should learn more about what their needs are Tuesday after designated hitter Victor Martinez has knee surgery to repair a torn medial meniscus in his left knee. But in the meantime, it appears they are checking in on some potential help.

Jeff Blair of sportsnet.ca reported late Monday morning that the Tigers have spoken with the Toronto Blue Jays regarding catcher Dioner Navarro.

Navarro, 31, is a switch-hitting catcher and designated hitter who is more of an offensive threat as a left-handed hitter. He batted .274 with 12 home runs, 69 RBIs and a .712 OPS in 139 games for the Blue Jays last season. He has a .255 average and a .689 OPS in 854 career games spanning 11 seasons with six different teams.

Blair said the Blue Jays would be looking for pitching help in return for Navarro, a starter last season who is expected to back up Russell Martin in 2015.

The Tigers could be without both Martinez and Miguel Cabrera, who had ankle and foot surgery early this offseason, for the start of the 2015 season. It's also possible that both could be ready for opening day, or at least shortly thereafter, depending on how their rehabilitation process goes. The Tigers will learn more about Cabrera after his next medical appointment, which is set for later this month.

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said last week that he was uncertain of a timeframe for the return of Martinez or how the Tigers would approach the situation.

"I'm really not in a position to speculate about his return," Dombrowski said. "We have to wait until after the surgery to determine what needs need to be filled."

It seems unlikely that the Tigers would make a move to obtain a player like Navarro unless they expect Martinez or Cabrera to be out for a good length of time.

The Tigers are expected to take a long look at rookie James McCann this season and signed Alex Avila to a new deal that will pay him $5.4 million in 2015.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Nothing really interesting in that Detroit bullpen aside from Rondon who's they're prized possession. Dbacks atleast have some guys who could be serviceable, not to mention cheap; Ziegler, Marshall. To a lesser extent; Hernandez, Delgado.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The tigers and jays don't make good trading partners. The tigers don't have the pitching to deal that we'd be looking to get for him. I don't see a fit here

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Nothing really interesting in that Detroit bullpen aside from Rondon who's they're prized possession. Dbacks atleast have some guys who could be serviceable, not to mention cheap; Ziegler, Marshall. To a lesser extent; Hernandez, Delgado.

This

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Why would the Tigers want Navi? They got Avila catching. He has no value as DH or 1B, so just because V-Mart is hurt would be pretty stupid for them. Not to mention the Tigers have nothing in terms of relief pitching. Not a good match at all.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
pretty much. I just want to get rid of Navarro for a half decent bullpen guy, so we can clear salary for another bullpen guy.

Keeping Navi is stupid, he's too expensive, and he's not good enough to fulltime DH. With Martin here now keeping him doesn't make any sense.

CalgaryLeaf*

Navarro for Alburquerque + ****** prospect.

Nyet...You're not getting Alburquerque for a part time DH...The Tigers are thin in the BP and will not be giving up one of their best arms.This---- from a long time Tiger's fan...The Tigers just need a LH bat to play some DH until Victor gets back...He'd also be the 3rd catcher or backup if Mcann doesn't pan out.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nyet...You're not getting Alburquerque for a part time DH...The Tigers are thin in the BP and will not be giving up one of their best arms.This---- from a long time Tiger's fan...The Tigers just need a LH bat to play some DH until Victor gets back...He'd also be the 3rd catcher or backup if Mcann doesn't pan out.

OK, I don't know much about the bullpen guys around the league, I just looked at the Tigers pen to see someone decent since the rumour above was posted.

I don't care who we trade him to, but if we go into the season with a ****** pen because we didn't want to trade Navarro for just a meh bullpen guy, and as a result couldn't sign any other decent pen guys because of Navarro's contract then I'm not going to be happy.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
So our Rotation is set with:

1. Dickey
2. Stroman
3. Buehrle (trade candidate)
4. Hutchison
5. Sanchez (its his spot to loose. Norris will be up in June if not earlier in the year, but I don't think he'll make it out of camp. Just like Stroman last year.)

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
So our Rotation is set with:

1. Dickey
2. Stroman
3. Buehrle (trade candidate)
4. Hutchison
5. Sanchez (its his spot to loose. Norris will be up in June if not earlier in the year, but I don't think he'll make it out of camp. Just like Stroman last year.)

AA hinted at some stupidity in using Sanchez in a relief role this year. Yeah, he did well, but generally, I would advise against keeping him shackled for too long. Just follow how guys like Price and Wainwright were handeled. Once that happens, you could have a Daniel Bard or Neftali Feliz situation... awesome multi year reliever, sucks as starter, never the same since.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Padres loading up for a playoff run. Not sure how they expect to when 99% of MLB fans can't name a single player in their infield, but hey, least it got the fans excited.

Shields at almost 19 mil a year is a hell of a lot of money (4/75, or is the option included in that chunk as well?) for a guy with that many miles on his arm.

Still feel confident in the rotation the Jays have. Strong veteran presence, inning eaters mixed in with big time potential. Plus the AL East doesn't look as menacing as it once did.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
AA hinted at some stupidity in using Sanchez in a relief role this year. Yeah, he did well, but generally, I would advise against keeping him shackled for too long. Just follow how guys like Price and Wainwright were handeled. Once that happens, you could have a Daniel Bard or Neftali Feliz situation... awesome multi year reliever, sucks as starter, never the same since.

Bard was drafted as a starter and was terrible in 22 starts. They converted him into a reliever afterwards. Surprise, he was bad when they tried to turn him into a starter again. Feliz was a top 10 prospect so it wasn't shocking that they wanted to see if they had an ace there. He had TJS which could happen to almost anybody but since then the velocity has dropped considerably. Just a bad situation from something pretty understandable. I think he'll bounce back as a reliever.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I'm surprised the Cards haven't tried Trevor Rosenthal as a starter. IIRC, the bullpen stint wasn't supposed to be permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad