Blue Jackets Season Preview

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Now knowing Joey is signed, Horton is possibly chronically injured and Jenner is acutely injured and out for the next month we are getting a more focused view of the coming roster… I’m very comfortable with the defense and goaltending but I’ll be honest, this constant drum beating of “hard to play against†being showcased by Richards et. al. is getting old…

What does this “hard to play against “moniker mean anyway? In my mind it means the CBJ are weak in skilled scoring and strong in hitting and checking… Well, hitting and checking is fine but winning Stanley Cups require timely skilled scoring too, I’m not so sure the Jackets have the offensive power to be a power house this season…

Comments?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Now knowing Joey is signed, Horton is possibly chronically injured and Jenner is acutely injured and out for the next month we are getting a more focused view of the coming roster… I’m very comfortable with the defense and goaltending but I’ll be honest, this constant drum beating of “hard to play against†being showcased by Richards et. al. is getting old…

What does this “hard to play against “moniker mean anyway? In my mind it means the CBJ are weak in skilled scoring and strong in hitting and checking… Well, hitting and checking is fine but winning Stanley Cups require timely skilled scoring too, I’m not so sure the Jackets have the offensive power to be a power house this season…

Comments?

While we don't have that bona fide sniper kind of guy, Joey did score 33 last year and Cam has potential to put up 25-30. We also did not have the big time scorer last year either with Gabby waiting till he hit LA to light it up and Joey finishing strong. So last year it was scoring by committee; I think this year's committee is as good so that's where the offense will come from.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Now knowing Joey is signed, Horton is possibly chronically injured and Jenner is acutely injured and out for the next month we are getting a more focused view of the coming roster… I’m very comfortable with the defense and goaltending but I’ll be honest, this constant drum beating of “hard to play against” being showcased by Richards et. al. is getting old…

Comments?

2011-12 Regular season goals/rank

CLB 202/28th
LAKings 194/29th

2013-14

CLB 231/13th
LAKings 206/25th

One of these teams won the Stanley Cup both seasons. Guess which one:laugh:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
2011-12 Regular season goals/rank

CLB 202/28th
LAKings 194/29th

2013-14

CLB 231/13th
LAKings 206/25th

One of these teams won the Stanley Cup both seasons. Guess which one:laugh:

Nice work.... but if recall the Kings season last year was a tale of two seasons.... Their roster has been chuck full of talent for three years not to mention one of the best head coaches in the league.... in reality the overall teams are not that close.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Nice work.... but if recall the Kings season last year was a tale of two seasons.... Their roster has been chuck full of talent for three years not to mention one of the best head coaches in the league.... in reality the overall teams are not that close.

Plus, the absolute number one reason that LA has won two cups in the last three years is because of one player, Jonathon Quick. The guy gets hot at the right time, and when it counts in the play-offs he is absolutely unbeatable.

On another note, it is a known fact that the teams that stay the healthiest, or get the healthiest come play-off time have the best chance to win the Cup. LA has managed to get healthy, ala Jeff Carter, then Gaborik in their cup seasons.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Arguably, we've got plenty of talent as well. The difference is that the talent we have is 50% "decent depth" from other teams (and thus underrated) and 50% homegrown (and thus overlooked, with the exception of Johansen). ;)

(That, and ours is still developing while theirs is pretty much mature and running.)

theD86

Winging it
Jun 23, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
2 writers at SI pick the Jackets to win the cup. No joke.
I think that's a year early but hey it's nice their getting attention!

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Realistically expecting a comfortable 3rd place finish in the division with a very winnable matchup in the first round.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Comments?

"Hard to play against" was Hitchcock's mantra as well. It's a hockey thing.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"Hard to play against" was Hitchcock's mantra as well. It's a hockey thing.
I think the idea that's supposed to be conveyed is "constant pressure". If you're not doing it by always having the puck and scoring goals, you're doing it by smacking the other guys around and taking the puck. No room for air.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think the idea that's supposed to be conveyed is "constant pressure". If you're not doing it by always having the puck and scoring goals, you're doing it by smacking the other guys around and taking the puck. No room for air.

Point being it's not something HCTR made up, and every team wants to be it. And yes, I'm tired of it too, because, at the end of the day, we just want to get to our game, be smart with the puck, get pucks on net, keep it simple, take it one shift at a time and hopefully play a 60 minute game.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China

Yep. Realistically you're not going to out-skill every team you're up against (very few teams can).

But you can certainly out-work them, and make life hell for them whether its back-checking like a m****r ********r, playing air-tight D, or punishing them physicality making them think twice about taking risks with the puck.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Point being it's not something HCTR made up, and every team wants to be it. And yes, I'm tired of it too, because, at the end of the day, we just want to get to our game, be smart with the puck, get pucks on net, keep it simple, take it one shift at a time and hopefully play a 60 minute game.

yeah -and don't forget get it deep, get the forecheck working and be responsible in our own end.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

yeah -and don't forget get it deep, get the forecheck working and be responsible in our own end.

Are we weighty yet?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Fair enough.

And you left out that we have to just play better, sticking to our game and leaving it all out there on the ice.

Meanwhile, fans are encouraged to Join The Battle to March On Carrying The Hardcore Hockey Flag All Out All Season 'cause you Gotta See It Ignite The Night Live at Jackets Time.

pwisch

Aug 25, 2014
Indian Lake, OH
While we don't have that bona fide sniper kind of guy, Joey did score 33 last year and Cam has potential to put up 25-30. We also did not have the big time scorer last year either with Gabby waiting till he hit LA to light it up and Joey finishing strong. So last year it was scoring by committee; I think this year's committee is as good so that's where the offense will come from.

Per the third page of the article, I said that my bold and crazy prediction was for Cam Atkinson to lead the team in goals and points.

Whether or not he is actually the leader at the end of the year depends on how Joey deals with missing all of training camp, but I think it is completely realistic for Cam to still hit 30-32 goals this year. His shooting % is almost certain to rise, and he should get take more shots this year as well.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Per the third page of the article, I said that my bold and crazy prediction was for Cam Atkinson to lead the team in goals and points.

Whether or not he is actually the leader at the end of the year depends on how Joey deals with missing all of training camp, but I think it is completely realistic for Cam to still hit 30-32 goals this year. His shooting % is almost certain to rise, and he should get take more shots this year as well.

I think Cam will be the one to benefit from Horton being injured. He's going to get the opportunity to turn into a #1RW this season, it's up to him to make the most of it!

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
We should be able to weather this early injury storm, not counting Horton.

Murray sounds very close, but with our solid D corps depth there is no reason to rush him.

Jenner's injury still allows him to work out and continue to skate. Other than getting his hands back, he shoud be able to stay in game shape.

Dubinsky does not sound long term, and the Center monkey move-up should be able to hold down the fort.

Johan should be fine once he knocks the rust off.

Of course this all depends on everyone else staying healthy which seems to be a crap shoot with this team.

My early prediction is that the D and Bob are able to mitigate the injuries to the offense, and keep things from imploding.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
We should be able to weather this early injury storm, not counting Horton.

Murray sounds very close, but with our solid D corps depth there is no reason to rush him.

Jenner's injury still allows him to work out and continue to skate. Other than getting his hands back, he shoud be able to stay in game shape.

Dubinsky does not sound long term, and the Center monkey move-up should be able to hold down the fort.

Johan should be fine once he knocks the rust off.

Of course this all depends on everyone else staying healthy which seems to be a crap shoot with this team.

My early prediction is that the D and Bob are able to mitigate the injuries to the offense, and keep things from imploding.

As someone mentioned, the best thing about it is that it's all happening early and there's time to rebound from all the injuries. Sure, we've been hopeful that they can get off to a better start than in seasons past, but that may not be possible. Still, we've seen that a slow start can be overcome and a successful season may still follow.

Not ideal, to be sure, but I'm trying to look on the bright side after my meltdown about Ohio sports, yesterday!

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
As someone mentioned, the best thing about it is that it's all happening early and there's time to rebound from all the injuries. Sure, we've been hopeful that they can get off to a better start than in seasons past, but that may not be possible. Still, we've seen that a slow start can be overcome and a successful season may still follow.

Not ideal, to be sure, but I'm trying to look on the bright side after my meltdown about Ohio sports, yesterday!

If we can stay at .500 until healthy, I will be happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad