Rumor: Blue Jackets pursuing Miikka Kiprusoff

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'm still confident this gets done, but I'm not quite sure how this figures into the "process." I know that all options need to be kept open if Bob bolts, but Kipprusoff is not who would have jumped out...at all.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If I was Bob's agent I'd say:

"So you're willing to have 5.8 million of your cap tied up in a goalie are you..."

My response "Not my fault you are a greedy sob".

I would laugh for days if we talked the Kipper out of retirement.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And cry for months when he puts up an .882 save percentage?

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I don't know a lot about much, but I'm pretty sure that JK and JD won't be going into the season with Kipper as the #1 goalie.

Keep moving, nothing to see hear.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's going to retire. He already told the FIN national team he was going to retire, no worries here.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Also, if people missed it

BEAU BISHOP ‏@BeauBishop 1h

Jarmo spoke to Bob's agent after presser today and feels like they are making progress but still a ways to go.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think Bob would have won the Vezina behind Calgary's defense.
If the economics work it could be a good backup plan.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
This leads me to believe they might do a one year deal with Bob.

I'd be all for a one year deal. Pay the man what he's earned, but make him earn it again. I hate long term deals for goalies, they almost never earn the contract. Luongo is a great example.

There's a good chance, even if he has a good year, he won't be as hot of a commodity this time next year as he is right now. Buy low, sell high.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I'd be all for a one year deal. Pay the man what he's earned, but make him earn it again. I hate long term deals for goalies, they almost never earn the contract. Luongo is a great example.

I have no doubt the Jackets would agree, but I also would expect Bob's agent to be fighting tooth and claw for his big payday to immediately be based on this past season. I would suppose that is the basis for the entire negotiations process - Bob's team repeating "Vezina, Vezina, Vezina..." and JK/JD replying, "one short season, one short season, one short season..."

It's a business, I'll try to wait until there is a result before I form an opinion on how it all went down.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Maybe I'm being naive by making this comment, but asking for permission to talk with Kipper and actually talking to Kipper makes all the difference in the world to me. Asking for permission is due diligence to me from GMJK's perspective, talking with Kipper is grounds for concern. The news we've gotten doesn't go far enough.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe I'm being naive by making this comment, but asking for permission to talk with Kipper and actually talking to Kipper makes all the difference in the world to me. Asking for permission is due diligence to me from GMJK's perspective, talking with Kipper is grounds for concern. The news we've gotten doesn't go far enough.

"Talking to Kipper" (should it ever actually happen) is also due diligence, IMO.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
AP suggested in his chat today the CBJ also kicked the tires on Bernier recently.

He thinks $5.5m x2 would get Bob signed. I'd do that deal for two reasons. 1. he's earned $5.5 2. we'd only be on the hook for two years if he comes back down to earth.

I would not do a 4 year deal under any circumstances. Further, if someone signs him to an ungodly offer sheet, I'd take the 4 first rounders and laugh all the way to the bank.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
all this other-goalie talk is to put more pressure on Bobs camp that he can be replaced

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
If they really want to get in Bob's head, the CBJ should "let it be known" they are talking to Bryzgalov.

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
I got a bad feeling that bob ain't gonna be a Jacket this season. That agent gets a cut of that contract so it is in his own best interest for bob to sign the KHL contract. Big payday for him.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
The fact that they're asking tells us we're nowhere close to a deal. I mean I'd move to Russia for $10 mil, and I don't live there.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If I was Bob's agent I'd say:

"So you're willing to have 5.8 million of your cap tied up in a goalie are you..."

My response: "Sure, anytime we only have to pay $1.8 million in real money!"

My best guess: The Kipper talk has nothing to do with Bob. It's for the backup role.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
AP suggested in his chat today the CBJ also kicked the tires on Bernier recently.

He thinks $5.5m x2 would get Bob signed. I'd do that deal for two reasons. 1. he's earned $5.5 2. we'd only be on the hook for two years if he comes back down to earth.

I would not do a 4 year deal under any circumstances. Further, if someone signs him to an ungodly offer sheet, I'd take the 4 first rounders and laugh all the way to the bank.

I agree with everything you've said here. Boy, I just realized how seldomly that happens around here. :laugh:

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
Not to plan for the worst but any thoughts on Ray Emery or Nabokov? I don't know if they're looking to resign Nabby (probably) but with Raanta coming in I can see them letting Emery walk possibly. 2 back-ups don't make a starter but at least the experience is there.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Not to plan for the worst but any thoughts on Ray Emery or Nabokov? I don't know if they're looking to resign Nabby (probably) but with Raanta coming in I can see them letting Emery walk possibly. 2 back-ups don't make a starter but at least the experience is there.

I guess they have to be considered, but I wouldn't think they are high on the list.

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
Well I don't really know who would be high on the list if we lost Bob. :shakehead Thomas? No. Louongo? No. UFA Goalies are looking pretty thin. Mainly the usual backups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad