Pre-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Oilers - The Return (now official) - 02/02/2016 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Pretty simple. He has loads of potential, is really likeable, and has great work ethic.
Having a great work ethic isn't a positive if all you do is work stupid. Having a great work ethic (in Yak's case) would be sitting down to learn the function of a winger in the NHL instead of skating all over the ice and ****ing up everyone else's positioning. Skating real hard when you don't get anywhere is nothing but a waste of energy.

As for having "loads of potential" .... no shortage of that in Edmonton. Yakupov is hardly a standout in that regard. Schultz has potential and nobody loves him. Likable? Says you I guess. And if likable entered into most fan's evaluations ... what's not to like about say RNH, or Gryba?

Its to the point now that some of the posts on this site sound like they were made on upside down world or something.

"And here's your question Bob. Top ten scorer five seasons running, or the guy coming off back to back green jackets ... who would you give more minutes to on your club Bob"?

"Uhhh ... is the answer Yakupov"?

"Well done Bob. For choosing correctly, we have this lovely lotto draft pick card ...."

Whether he ever reaches his potential is debatable, but he's basically everybody's favourite cousin. Can't help but love him, and cheer him on.
I think now you may be getting closer to the reason for the inexplicable posts that still keep suggesting three coaches in a row have been getting it all wrong in playing Eberle ahead of Yak.

He's no Johnny Hockey :sarcasm:, but it will be nice to see McDavid back tomorrow.
:biglaugh:

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
First of all, 6M is not "elite money". You need to take a spin around one of those cap aggregate sites and see what scoring forwards are signing for. Eberle does not have a value deal, but he's pretty close to appropriately paid as a complimentary top line winger.

Second of all, I don't think I've ever heard of a guy who is consistently in or near the top-30 scorers in the NHL, top-10 scorers in his position and top-2 scorers on his team be called a "lost cause".

This is the same dumb pattern that emerges with Oilers fans. Every year a loud, ignorant portion of the fanbase is calling out to trade Taylor Hall, and the next Jordan Eberle. Around and around we go.

Fitting that Groundhog's Day is tomorrow.

Don't forget that we need to trade RNH too. I don't think we have won a game since he went down and will be still hard pressed to with essentially the top 2 Centres rookies. On the road we will get owned even with CMD.

Disappointed to see yak not with CMD but you have to give Ebs a look. Yak and Zack have looked ok if we only had less of a plug at center for them.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm sure the fact that the injury decimated Oilers couldn't score at all in that span has nothing to do with this. Clearly Nugent-Hopkins has been carrying Eberle all these years, even though Eberle has played ~1200 minutes at 5v5 without RNH since RNH joined the Oilers, and has been reasonably productive in that time.

Been a couple years since Ebs has done much without Nuge. Since start of 14/15:

With Nuge 1248 mins 5v5 - 21-27-48, 2.3 points/60
W/O Nuge 552 mins 5v5 - 4-3-7, 0.76 points/60

Not to say that tells the whole story, over the same span Nuge is 2.0 p/60 with Ebs and 1.2 p/60 without him 5v5. Not many offensive guys in the NHL produce without playing with good players.

For comparison sake, the last 2 years Yak was 3.1 p/60 with McDavid 5v5, 1.7 p/60 with Roy, and 0.74 p/60 without either of those guys, which is actually similar to Ebs without his Nuge.

In any case, not letting Ebs numbers go in the toilet this year is an absolute must for the team. Yak, ah well, he's cheap and we can be patient with him. But, if we let Ebs' trade value tank trying to make him be a driver for a 3rd line (which he's simply not capable of), that hurts Chia's options this summer to fix our D big time. Not gonna be easy getting people to take a 6M/season winger that depends purely on skill to be noticeable in games with the cap barely going up, or not going up at all, especially if he ends the year with less than 20 goals.

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Having a great work ethic isn't a positive if all you do is work stupid. Having a great work ethic (in Yak's case) would be sitting down to learn the function of a winger in the NHL instead of skating all over the ice and ****ing up everyone else's positioning. Skating real hard when you don't get anywhere is nothing but a waste of energy.

As for having "loads of potential" .... no shortage of that in Edmonton. Yakupov is hardly a standout in that regard. Schultz has potential and nobody loves him. Likable? Says you I guess. And if likable entered into most fan's evaluations ... what's not to like about say RNH, or Gryba?

Its to the point now that some of the posts on this site sound like they were made on upside down world or something.

"And here's your question Bob. Top ten scorer five seasons running, or the guy coming off back to back green jackets ... who would you give more minutes to on your club Bob"?

"Uhhh ... is the answer Yakupov"?

"Well done Bob. For choosing correctly, we have this lovely lotto draft pick card ...."

I think now you may be getting closer to the reason for the inexplicable posts that still keep suggesting three coaches in a row have been getting it all wrong in playing Eberle ahead of Yak.

:biglaugh:

Uh, okay.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
for real.. I almost threw up in my mouth listening yesterday.

"I think we can all agree the Pacific were the big underdogs coming in... but they do have Gaudreau."

I swear the commentators were gushing over him the entire time.

The commentators were correct in pointing out that Gaudreau is the best nhl player for 3 v 3 hockey. Gaudreau was the main reason the Pacific Allstar team won.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Eberle nets his first hatty tomorrow

Really looking forward to seeing how the Eberle - McDavid pairing goes. It might take a few games to develop some true chemistry but I think its a very smart move playing Eberle and McDavid together right off the get go.
The team really needs to see if this pairing works and based on Eberles ability to think the game offensively I cant see this not working. McDavid thinks the game at such a high level and I think that Eberle is a natural fit on his line.
I think Eberle will be a much better fit than Yak on McDavids line not only because he is a much better finisher but he also processes the game much much better than Yak.

That could well be a special pairing and (along with Hall and Draisaitl) it would give the Oilers 2 formidable pairings in their top 6.

Its going to be fun to watch. :D

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Being a great 3 on 3 player is nothing home to write about. So Jhonny is really good when he has more room and the bigger guys can't catch him as easy. No big deal.There is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Really looking forward to seeing how the Eberle - McDavid pairing goes. It might take a few games to develop some true chemistry but I think its a very smart move playing Eberle and McDavid together right off the get go.
The team really needs to see if this pairing works and based on Eberles ability to think the game offensively I cant see this not working. McDavid thinks the game at such a high level and I think that Eberle is a natural fit on his line.
I think Eberle will be a much better fit than Yak on McDavids line not only because he is a much better finisher but he also processes the game much much better than Yak.

That could well be a special pairing and (along with Hall and Draisaitl) it would give the Oilers 2 formidable pairings in their top 6.

Its going to be fun to watch. :D

I think McDavid could have a good effect on Eberle. Eberle might actually go 100% tomorrow seeing how hard McDavid tries.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Being a great 3 on 3 player is nothing home to write about. So Jhonny is really good when he has more room and the bigger guys can't catch him as easy. No big deal.There is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs.

Johnny is a sublime player...no need to hate just because he is a Flame.
I dont like the team but I certainly respect Johnny's obvious talent.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He will have to keep up with McDavid. McDavid is fast, isn't shy about going into the corners and winning puck battles, and he backchecks like a MoFo.

Maybe some of that will rub off on Eberle....

I dont believe for a minute that effort was ever an issue for Eberle. I think his injuries this season were an issue and have hampered his game.
In any event Eberles game isnt (and shouldn't be) puck retrieval in the corners. Thats why Pouliot is on that line.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Well...I guess when I said "good wingers" I meant Yak and Ebs "could be good wingers on another team...or on some theoretical team"

Anyways....I'd like to see if we can start scapegoating Pouliot soon.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
If Mcdavid and Eberle aren't jelling after the 2nd period I fully expect to see Yak at that spot in the third.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I dont believe for a minute that effort was ever an issue for Eberle. I think his injuries this season were an issue and have hampered his game.
In any event Eberles game isnt (and shouldn't be) puck retrieval in the corners. Thats why Pouliot is on that line.

I honestly don't even think Eberle is bad at puck retrieval. He wins a good number of battles along the boards. He's quite good with his stick in those areas imo.

His problems are so exaggerated on this forum it's ridiculous.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I honestly don't even think Eberle is bad at puck retrieval. He wins a good number of battles along the boards. He's quite good with his stick in those areas imo.

His problems are so exaggerated on this forum it's ridiculous.

Honestly I too am a bit perplexed. People have kept saying it so much it's become some sort of truth, but I see a player who cycles fairly well.

He doesn't do it by physical domination but he is shifty with the puck and often comes out of the corners with it on his stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad