Jan 2, 2009
First time doing a GDT, here we go!

tfaoJ0C.png

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Like it.

Hey, do you remember when Clarkson was actually playing well this season? He was playing with Santo and komarov. Let's hope they rekindle that great cycle game they had going.

Shrewd, putting Panik on a scoring line. He has the tools.

Let's hope they can turn it around, because right now that's all I got.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Horachuk has a clever tanking strategy.

Just change up the lines so much, no one can get comfortable, or chemistry with each other.

:sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Horachuk has a clever tanking strategy.

Just change up the lines so much, no one can get comfortable, or chemistry with each other.

:sarcasm:

Last year the last wild card playoff spot finished with 93 points.

For the Leafs to reach 93 points in the final 41 games would require 48 points from remaining 41 games or a record of;

~ 22-15-4 or 23-16-2 for 48 points in 41 games.

Tonight is a big 2 points on the line because Columbus has 3 games in hand on the Leafs and if they won them they would catch the Leafs in the standings.. Last year Columbus was one of the wild card teams that stole the Leafs playoff spot.

Go Leafs Go.

Miller91

Jan 2, 2009
I THINK the Leafs win, but I have no idea if I want them to. Stuck between wanting the players to put it all together under Horachek and wanting some fresh blood in the line up (and a whole pile of youth).

I DO expect another game where we out possess the opponent though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs enter the game at the mid point in 10th place in the Eastern Conference and 18th overall in the NHL standings.

17 teams better and 12 teams worse based on W-L records and standings.

Which direction will the Leafs go with a new coach?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Leafs don't win this home game things could get real ugly.

Leafs go on a 4 game road trip next week where they play LA, Anaheim, SJ and STL with 4 games in 6 days. :help:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If Leafs don't win this home game things could get real ugly.

Leafs go on a 4 game road trip next week where they play LA, Anaheim, SJ and STL with 4 games in 6 days. :help:

There going to win out the road trip then get ruined by the Hurricanes, Sens, Devils, Coyotes and Flyers when they get back... Its the Maple Leaf way

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There going to win out the road trip then get ruined by the Hurricanes, Sens, Devils, Coyotes and Flyers when they get back... Its the Maple Leaf way

That is exactly what happen last year.

With less than 20 games to go and Leafs in a playoff spot they head out west and won 2 of 3 in California and then everything fell apart as they returned home eventually losing 12 of their last 14 games shortly thereafter against many non playoff teams.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So..does everyone realize the season is half over? You guys complain about the core being mentally weak when the fans have given up for a month now.

If we get our possession up within the next few weeks, and get out of this slump, we can play like we did before with more sustainable hockey, and up to 5th is possible.

I would rather this team win then lose. I would rather make the playoffs, and win a round then lose, than pick 7th at the draft.

"The core is flawed" blah blah whatever. IMO we are a top pairing D and #1 C away from contending, and we have both potential guys in the system.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
So..does everyone realize the season is half over? You guys complain about the core being mentally weak when the fans have given up for a month now.

If we get our possession up within the next few weeks, and get out of this slump, we can play like we did before with more sustainable hockey, and up to 5th is possible.

I would rather this team win then lose. I would rather make the playoffs, and win a round then lose, than pick 7th at the draft.

"The core is flawed" blah blah whatever. IMO we are a top pairing D and #1 C away from contending, and we have both potential guys in the system.

You are right, I think most would prefer a playoff team that can win at least 1 round.

The only potential problem is they play well enough to look like they are playoff bound leading up to the TDL and then just miss the playoffs so no assets (Franson esp.) get sold and they don't even get a top 5 pick. This is the main case for tanking, it at least guarantees something good out of the year.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You are right, I think most would prefer a playoff team that can win at least 1 round.

The only potential problem is they play well enough to look like they are playoff bound leading up to the TDL and then just miss the playoffs so no assets (Franson esp.) get sold and they don't even get a top 5 pick. This is the main case for tanking, it at least guarantees something good out of the year.

Well every year you have the chance to miss the playoffs by just that much, would fans rather be Edmonton and pick first every year but always suck?

Edit: we aren't bad enough for McEichel, and we've been picking 5 - 10 for years and it gets us no where, I want to make the playoffs instead of drafting a kid who will be an impact for us in 5 years.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well every year you have the chance to miss the playoffs by just that much, would fans rather be Edmonton and pick first every year but always suck?

Edit: we aren't bad enough for McEichel, and we've been picking 5 - 10 for years and it gets us no where, I want to make the playoffs instead of drafting a kid who will be an impact for us in 5 years.

Edmonton doesn't want to be Edmonton where they pick first and always suck. People constantly forget the second part of this equation: after the 1st round how does Edmonton draft? Not very well. Does Edmonton support their draft picks with support structure so the kids can earn their way through the line up? No, not really? Does Edmonton have good goaltending, so where you still lose more than you win - you're in it well? Weeeehhhhheeell?

if our stable is full of players that are great for support and developing well (but not predicted to do anything special), this means, the organziation is lacking picking the draft picks positions that have the potential to be the #1 centre, #1 Defensemen that this organization needs. the likihood of getting them is between draft picks 1-10. (in "weak" drafts, it's usually 1-5, but in suspected deep drafts such as this one, and next years, 1-10 and good scouting gets that).

I want playoffs more than anything, and I 100 percent feel that struggling to make the playoffs/1st round exits are a part of development, however in this case it will be more detrimental than beneficial in this case, because I personally feel that a good chunk of this team needs to be broken up simply because of the mindset and attitude that seems to whiff from the team. a #1 C /D will not help with the complacency or any of the other myriad of problems that they suffer from. And I'd rather start putting pieces to develop a great program so we're constantly contending (and not just because we're in the East, but we've got a legitimate shot) vs: we can make the playoffs and it's "thanks for showing up, excuse us as we steamroll right by you."

Sometimes the notion of "I want this NOW vs. waiting for 5 years" is what holds us back. I'd rather take the bitter now (Not making it) and having a long legacy of success later vs. squeaking in and we still have the multitude of issues. Just because the team was winning doesn't mean they were a good team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

What I want to see is the Leafs turning it on and sustaining it. I am sick of these good stretches that are being completely negated by subsequent prolonged bad stretches. Going 10-1-1 and then following that up with 2-8-0 stretch? How is that acceptable? I am sick of this crap. Be consistent, FFS. This is not a young team filled with rookies. This is a team that is filled with players that are basically vets already, get your **** together!

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I don't like that santo's being rewarded with a great season by being put on a line with clarkson and komarov.

I'd much rather switch panik and santo.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I can appreciate the mentality of the current lines. Trying to get hard working guys in the top 6 that can try to drag the skill players into being responsible.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can appreciate the mentality of the current lines. Trying to get hard working guys in the top 6 that can try to drag the skill players into being responsible.

Players like Winnik and Panik show very well when you look at goals against at ES so trying to balance out Leafs top 6 players who are weak defensively does make sense to try and stop the bleeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad