Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets 7, Penguins 1: The Pens get crushed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
How is it not? It's a 1-0 game and the following things happen. Dumo makes a terrible decision to go slide down and leave back door wide open. He even slams his stick because he knows he ****ed up. Then DP went full on idiot mode and doesn't cover his man right in the slot and then gets burned easily. Those are not team issues. Those are individual **** ups.

And then let's go further. Why are we not flying back into the game? Bonino was utter **** tonight and has been bad for the majority of the season. It's probably the only reason HBK isn't clicking. He can't do anything out there that doesn't look sloppy. He was like this last year, too, then turned into the Bonino we all know when it matters. We have to hope he can click that button again because we need him for what Sully wants (running 4 lines). I almost want them to promote Cully to 3rd line w/ Hags/Kessel and see what happens.

But the point is, it's individual play. Through and through. I don't see how it isn't.

Bonino's play is particularly troubling because this could be Cullen's last year and who knows if we're able to keep Sundqvist with the expansion draft stuff.

Our center depth could go from great to **** in a hurry.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Did you miss or block from your memory the entirety of the Capitals series? Like, does Tom Wilson and that whole saga not ring a bell to you?

It's like you're rewriting your own history here to fit your theory.

If you want to say that the Pens/Caps series last year was some big rivalry game and some intense series then go ahead. That can be your standard. I personally thought it was a walk in the park and knew we were better team after game 2, and certainly knew after game 3, and couldn't foresee us losing to the Caps after game 4's win and going up 3-1. That's not really at all similar to the Flyers in 2012 or CBJ/Boston in 2013. Throw in the 2014 meltdown to the Rags as well (even though they lost their edge since then).

I never saw Murray so stressed in last year's playoffs and hung out to dry like he was tonight. The team shutdown. I'm just saying I hope they fix this mental issue because we'll likely see the Flyers or CBJ in the first round.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you want to say that the Pens/Caps series last year was some big rivalry game and some intense series then go ahead. That can be your standard. I personally thought it was a walk in the park and knew we were better team after game 2, and certainly knew after game 3, and couldn't foresee us losing to the Caps after game 4's win and going up 3-1. That's not really at all similar to the Flyers in 2012 or CBJ/Boston in 2013. Throw in the 2014 meltdown to the Rags as well (even though they lost their edge since then).

I never saw Murray so stressed in last year's playoffs and hung out to dry like he was tonight. The team shutdown. I'm just saying I hope they fix this mental issue because we'll likely see the Flyers or CBJ in the first round.

See, the problem is you're defining "intense series" or "big rivalry game" based on the Penguins melting down. You're only including series where the Pens lost their collective minds. That's not an intense series, that's just them being mentally weak.

Last season's Capitals series was just as intense a battle as any of the series you listed. The difference is the Pens did NOT lose their minds, and just put the peddle down and played hockey.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I didn't play any holier than thou character.

It's a trend around here that you can't criticize or question Matt Murray without the immediate shutdown of "Fleury fanboy" being thrown at you. Almost instantly. When Murray has a bad game you either need to say the cliche of "everyone has a bad game", "can't win them all" or simply not post, or risk yourself becoming the target of the criticism.

This was Murray's first emotionally heated rivalry game against a good team. And it was horrific. I'm starting to notice a trend where as to no matter who we have in goal this team seems to just fall apart in these situations. Hmmm. Perhaps that's worth discussing? Nah.

Maybe I should add disclaimers to my posts: Not a Fleury advocate. Trade him asap. Kthx.

Uh, he played and won a series against the Caps, one of our biggest rivals and a very good team. A game in December against the ****ing Blue Jackets is not uncharted waters in terms of important, heated rivalry games. :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Jesus.

Anyway, Pouliot sucked but people are sure dropping out on him here. Let him ride pine while we cycle through some of our other bubble NHL defensemen while he tries to get his head straight. We've all seen him play a lot better than this.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I personally thought it was a walk in the park and knew we were better team after game 2, and certainly knew after game 3, and couldn't foresee us losing to the Caps after game 4's win and going up 3-1.

Uh yeah, that's pure revisionism. That series was as close as a six game series gets. If Murray's not marginally better than Holtby and if we don't get a couple key contributions from unlikely sources, they bounce us. If the Caps have a better 7th D, they bounce us. If our fourth line's an inch less good than it was, they bounce us. Hell, if any one thing goes the Caps way instead of our way, they bounce us. That series was our Stanley Cup final.

That series actually was all about what a few of us harped on before that series started. That their top six could keep up with ours, but that their bottom six would have major issues.

That series, and really you can look at every series we were in, was all about not being able to match the speed up and down the lineup and depth.

Could the Pens have lost that series, or especially the TB one? Yes, of course they could have. Some bounces the other way and the Pens would have lost despite the above. But going into the series I thought that the Caps would struggle with our bottom six and overall speed, leaving the series I thought that we won because of that mismatch.

That series was about a coin coming up heads instead of tails with a little help from Mike Weber.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Jesus.

Anyway, Pouliot sucked but people are sure dropping out on him here. Let him ride pine while we cycle through some of our other bubble NHL defensemen while he tries to get his head straight. We've all seen him play a lot better than this.

As someone who has never been remotely close to a fan of Pouliot (the pick or his subsequent performance outside juniors), I would say that we have seen Pouliot play a string of games last season where he was not a real liability and gave modest contributions on a high octane team that was free scoring. That was a time where we were riding high on the Sullivan wave, and he rarely ever had to step outside a nr.6 responsibility.

But in general, Pouliot has never been genuinely impressive beyond his debut game. It's all about having hoped he could become the play-driver he was in junior, and whenever he has faced genuine pressure, he has been short of what was required.

Moreover, he has had two full offseasons to get himself in a position where he was a real option and last season he even had the luxury of starting with a coach who fully believed in him.

As I said elsewhere, I have no problems with him getting more chances until the deadline to get closer to getting right and getting some confidence, but we are not far from the situation where he should be sent to WBS and not be an option before he is a standout there. Something he hasn't even managed at this point.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
See, the problem is you're defining "intense series" or "big rivalry game" based on the Penguins melting down. You're only including series where the Pens lost their collective minds. That's not an intense series, that's just them being mentally weak.

Last season's Capitals series was just as intense a battle as any of the series you listed. The difference is the Pens did NOT lose their minds, and just put the peddle down and played hockey.
I'm saying the Pens have meltdowns against certain rivals that play with a ton of grit (2012 Flyers, 2013 Islanders/Bruins, 2014 CBJ/Rags), and do NOT have meltdowns against certain "rivals" that try to match the Pens' skill and speed (2016 Rags, Caps, TB, SJ).

I'm sorry I just don't consider the Capitals a gritty rival. Just because Tom Willson is a punk and Ovie still likes to throw some hits isn't a reason to circle the calendar anymore. They are just a highly skilled team who we can beat.

Maybe we're just having a chicken/egg argument. Are they are rival because we melted down or did we melt down because they were a rival? Oh well.

We have a pretty balanced schedule until Feb. So I'm just gonna enjoy the ride until then.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
After digesting whats happened up until the Xmas break now, i'm on the side that is exactly the opposite of KIRK(he wants a LW'er. I want a D-Man). When this team has the games where it's breaking down forechecks and breaking out with ease, they have the pieces up front to pepper opposing goalies and convert. Every game they've been either blown out big or lost, it's the same issue of not being able to break the forecheck and going on the offense.

Thing is now theres not much out there. Trouba is likely staying put for awhile.
Best you can do is pick up a UFA or cheap RFA D that fits the system well and hope for the best.

The middle portion of the D depth(Dumo/Maatta/Daley) needs somthing added to it, imo.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
**** happens. Columbus is red hot right now. I don't personally think they can sustain this, but hey...when things are working, they are working. Hopefully we 7 goal our opponent next game.

We have to find a trade destination for Pouliot. He is pathetic.

We need to find a legitimate #2 defenseman, because when Letang goes down, we crumble.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Jesus.

When you watch his game, there is absolutely nothing he does that stands out. He's literally average at everything.

Skating? Average
Size? Average
Strength? Average
Shot? Average
Offense? Average
Defense? Average

All we have to hang our hats on is his draft pedigree and whatever potential we'd conjured up because of it.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The way the division is shaking out its not going to matter where the pens finish.

They are going to have a tough first round opponent either way. Hell the best option may be finishing 5th in the metro as doubtful as that is.

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I do agree though Bonino struggling has had some big ripples. Bonino and Hags had a slow start, made the HBK terrible, and part of the reason the PK was bad too(Fehr didn't have a great start either)

Kind of odd because pre season those guys looked sharp as a razor.

With Bonino being rocky it's hard to keep that offensive pressure and things can just get caught defending and making bad plays.

Only time Bonino line looked like the best line in a night was when Rust was on it dominating and carrying them. How can you have Kessel on your line as a 3rd line and not at least look great some nights?

you have some very good points in this and previous posts. it is worrisome that our forecheck is not sustainable that strong and fast skating teams like Jackets can tilt the ice and there is...mistakes and chances against galore....It happened in too many games this year to be comfortable. Do we need a few more solid d-man, perhaps...but that's not the reason, the reason is that we cannot do thew same thing on the other side of the ice. when you have second line with one guy late for everything, third line HBK with the center that is always 3 steps behind, that is two lines where you lose any momentum. 4th line gets mostly defensive draws so they got stuck back as well. You can have 6 Norris guys back there IT WON"T HELP. Our problem is not defense, our problem is offense. We can play with terrible and slow defense like Rangers show the last game, but with the quick good defense like Jakets we cannot establish any sustained pressure...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
When you watch his game, there is absolutely nothing he does that stands out. He's literally average at everything.

Skating? Average
Size? Average
Strength? Average
Shot? Average
Offense? Average
Defense? Average

All we have to hang our hats on is his draft pedigree and whatever potential we'd conjured up because of it.

puck awareness - below average...the guy just has no clue half of the time where the puck is,just watch him

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
to add something on Poo...
It amazed me that he struggled to get to play in Pittsburgh out of training camp (rightfully so), they were very much hesitant to put him in, most of the people here were calling for him, than he finally got called up, and got hurt in his first game! FIRST GAME BACK. Than he goes in rehab for a while, got healthy, goes to Wilkes, plays only few average to below average games and all of sudden gets called up. How is this possible? He should have established himself at Wilkes first not being called up immideatly after he got healthy regardles of what he could do. That is SO NOT Sully's MO it has management fingers all over it. Feel sorry for the kid. If he ever had talent it was all washed up by now.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I chalk the shellacking up to bad juju, but pouliot's total lack of development is officially cause for concern. This isn't a despres type situation where he's playing better than the coaches want to give him credit for - he looks like he isn't an nhl defenseman. Say what you will about d-men taking longer to develop but pouliot's role going forward has gone from "?" to "?!?"

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Skating? Average
Size? Average
Strength? Average
Shot? Average
Offense? Average
Defense? Average

I think that underrates DP's transition, offensive IQ, and PPQB abilities considerably. Those have always been his strengths, which is why he's been productive even with limited opportunities prior to this call-up.

But the bottom line is that he has to get it done, and this injury situation with Letang and Daley may be his last best chance for playing time. He needs to get his game in order.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I only ever saw Pouliot is the wjhc's a few years ago and he looked like he was driving the play in a lot of those games. It didn't look like he was a guy that lacked a good hockey IQ. Its really baffling to me how his game hasn't translated to this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad