Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Hey guys, I got an idea! We are up by 6, we are driving, we have the better team and the best QB in the league. Let's take the best player off the field and put in the back up QB to throw the ball instead. He is such a numbnut hoping to have his glory in the big game he will not hesitate throw it up into blanket coverage. This idea is so predictable and stupid it has to work! Just being the better team when we are the better team is just way too smart for us.

We have done this pattern for so many years with our back up QB it's not a surprise. Have our back up run run run for the first 3/4 of the season then have him throw for the rest of the year. This isn't tricking anyone but the Bombers at This point. We all knew the only team that can beat the Bombers was the Bombers and they did it.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Likely most people in Toronto aren't even aware of it.

That actually takes some of the sting out of it. It would be worse if the Bombers lost to a team from a city that would be eager to rub it in our faces.

Anyway. Yeah Liegghio sucked. But the part I will always be haunted by is Prukop's downfield throw in the 4th quarter. Oliveira was playing well... conventional wisdom is that at that point in the game, you prioritize slow and steady movement of the ball. Grind out yards, maintain possession and put yourself in a position to get the game winning kick. The Prukop throw is what you do when you're down by 10 late in the game and you have nothing to lose.

It was an exciting game with very high entertainment value. My heart was pounding for the last few minutes. But in some respects it would have been emotionally easier to handle getting whooped than losing by such a tiny margin.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If you want something to help cope with last night, before and after the game I overhead/talked to several Riders fans who still think the Bombers are the class of the league.

“You guys have the best QB in the league, and the best defence. I can’t believe the Riders let Willie Jefferson get away. Your coach is far and away the best coach in the league and if he were American he’d be in the NFL. Your GM is the smartest manager in the CFL. I envy the Bombers. Hopefully this loss means you’ll fire O’Shea and Walters so the Riders can scoop them up!”

That’s the SparkNotes of what I heard from Rider Nation. Seems the Bombers are still the class of the league and many expect us to be back next year.

The 2007 and 2011 losses hurt because while they made me hopeful for the future, we ultimately fell on our asses the next season. I don’t think that happens next year. The Canadian Mafia won’t settle for less and our players are going to be pissed.

Go Blue! Let’s bring home the 2023 Grey Cup and reclaim our championship.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I'm still mad at the stupidity of having the backup throw deep. With the lead and the running game working. Stupidity at its finest. I was just saying to the wife at the time they've got this just keep it on the ground at get 3. Then they pulled that crap. One of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm seeing alot of "well this is the reverse of what happened in 2019". I call complete BS on that. In 2019 the Bombers came out and EARNED that win. The Argos did absolutely nothing last night. They didn't earn anything. They were completely mediocre. The Bombers played like ass and beat themselves. It's really that simple.

Game Thoughts
Offense

Pathetic. Completely pathetic. I managed to look at the stats here just now for the first time. 14/23 183 yards 1 INT for Collaros. In the biggest game of the year. Completely unacceptable. Collaros was healthy enough to be out there, he was healthy enough to play better than that. Buck did him no favours with play calling of course. Collaros is going to be spending all next season answering questions on whether he can live up to Jackson Jeffcoat's favourite saying "big players make big plays in big games". The 2021 West Final, the 2022 West Final, the 2022 Grey Cup, it seems like Collaros is struggling to meet the challenge when the chips are down. Hell in the 2019 Grey Cup the Bombers generated what 4/5 turnovers in the first half and only led by 5 or 6 at half. The defense won 2019 and arguably 2021 as well. The offense couldn't rise the occasion last night. I don't care that a penalty put them in FG range to win late, it wasn't good enough.

Buck's use of the Prukop package was perplexing at best. Never once did he use it in 2nd and 5 or less. Every time he was used it was 1st and 10 (I think). It made no sense whatsoever after they used it so perfectly in the West Final. What were they thinking?

Oliveira is one of the few that shouldn't feel bad about this game. He gave it everything out there. On a night nearly everyone on offense struggled, he was battling his ass off recording 82 yards on 15 carries. Brady is gonna be a star here for a decade.

The OL did just ok at best. I've long held that Hardrick, while a vital part of the OL in terms of leadership and energy, is just a mediocre RT. He showed that last night. When he wasn't taking penalties he was getting beat clean. It was his worst game of the year. He wasn't alone. I thought Bryant was fine, so that's good news, hopefully he comes back for another run back at it. Geoff Gray reverted to early season form. Not a good thing. Why did they start Kolankowski every game down the 2nd half after Couture returned only to move back to Couture in the Grey Cup? It didn't work. Kolankowski is already signed for next year, while Couture is a pending FA so it'll be Kolankowski's job next year.

WR's didn't really have an impact, partially due to the struggles elsewhere. WR is a fickle position that it takes alot of things to go right for them to have an impact. Those things were not going right last night. Schoen is gone to NFL. I'm not sure Ellingson has anything left. They'll need to rebuild this group in the off-season.

Defense
Overall the D did fine. Jackson Jeffcoat has the worst season of his CFL career, but he ended it on a high note for himself. Like Brady, he came to play last night the true standout among a sea of terrible play. Sayles was also effective again, another guy they will need to bring back. Willie didn't have much of a impact.

LB corps was just ok. Clements is a great coverage back, but struggles in the run game a little bit. That played out. Losing Kyrie was a big loss this season. They'll need to address the WLB position in the off-season, and probably need to some help to spell Bighill at times next year as well. Age is starting to catch up to him. At SLB we'll see what happens. Darby didn't stand out as bad, but he left last off-season and I predict that'll happen again. What the hell happened with Rutledge that he got moved the PR?

For DB's you have to start with Jamal Parker. This guy came in around game 5 as a pure STer. And he was making plays. Got better each week. Entered the starting DB ranks at CB, eventually moved the HB later in the year. And each game he just got better and better, capping it with a great performance against the Lions in West Final. Then whatever the hell that was last night happened. If I hadn't watched the rest of the year I'd have questioned how that guy ever got signed to a pro contract at all. The surest tackler on the Bombers, COULDN'T MAKE A TACKLE. He was lost in coverage several times. It was one of the worst performances I've seen from a DB. Yes he's a rookie. Yes it's one game. I'm not ready to give up on the guy, I think he has great upside. But that was pathetic. Desmond Lawrence was an emergency signee late in the year so I'm not going to point many fingers there. Deatrick Nichols and Brandon Alexander both had a couple moments, neither played up to the standard we've come to expect from them. Rose was once again just a body.

Special Teams
I've spent probably literally thousands of words on Liegghio this year. Mostly defending him from the criticism I've seen here, in person and elsewhere. I can't do that today. I just can't. He's not accurate enough and doesn't have a big leg. Bede v Liegghio on kickoff distances were killing us in field position. The missed XP. The missed kicks at clutch times. Maybe he can figure it out. I'm not sure it'll be in Winnipeg. The one positive I can glean is his directional punting again was spot on. He's not a huge leg with punting, but he puts it exactly where he should. I'm not sure that's enough.

Janarion completes the trio that have nothing to sorry about. He's an absolute stud in the return game. I think we kind of take him for granted sometimes, but he's an elite returner. His fumble issues likely keep him getting a 2nd NFL opportunity. I can't wait to watch this guy returning kicks and punts again next year.

Shout out to Hallett as well for giving the Bombers a chance late. Great speed off the edge for the kick block.

Final Thoughts
I don't have the capacity for much more than that. I really wish the Argos had actually won the game. It would hurt less. This was just the Argos losing it a little less hard than the Bombers. To lose a chance at history cause the other teams plays the game of their life? That's one thing. To lose it cause you fail to show up at all? It's painful. Very painful. I'm the eternal skeptic, but I try to look for positives. I mentioned a couple players sure, but the biggest positive I can look for is that next year's slogan has to be "unfinished business". The boys should be using this to fuel next season. Most of the core will be back. This team was 15-3 for a reason. They are considered a borderline dynasty still for a reason. They are a damn good team. Use this. Don't let it happen again.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
If you want something to help cope with last night, before and after the game I overhead/talked to several Riders fans who still think the Bombers are the class of the league.

“You guys have the best QB in the league, and the best defence. I can’t believe the Riders let Willie Jefferson get away. Your coach is far and away the best coach in the league and if he were American he’d be in the NFL. Your GM is the smartest manager in the CFL. I envy the Bombers. Hopefully this loss means you’ll fire O’Shea and Walters so the Riders can scoop them up!”

That’s the SparkNotes of what I heard from Rider Nation. Seems the Bombers are still the class of the league and many expect us to be back next year.

The 2007 and 2011 losses hurt because while they made me hopeful for the future, we ultimately fell on our asses the next season. I don’t think that happens next year. The Canadian Mafia won’t settle for less and our players are going to be pissed.

Go Blue! Let’s bring home the 2023 Grey Cup and reclaim our championship.
After seeing how devastated O'Shea was in his post-game interview, I agree: they won't settle for less than another Grey Cup. This organization is not complacent with two in a row and I'm excited to see what they do in the off-season and then next year.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I really hate typing up longer posts on my phone, but I still have a few hours to go in the drive back to Winnipeg, so since I’m not driving I figure I’ll kill some time by wrapping up some of my Grey Cup thoughts, and maybe take a look at what I’d like to see the team do in the offseason:

- I agree with a lot of what Holden said. It is annoying that Toronto won because while I think they had a solid game plan, they did play rather mediocre. We just didn’t have anyone step up for us, whereas they had guys on their D standup. A lot of Toronto’s success this season, generally speaking, is an indictment to the CFL’s division setup. Toronto finished a respectable 11-7, but feasted on a shit-ass East Division (believed they played Hamilton four times and Ottawa thrice). They played a thoroughly mediocre Montreal team in the East Final (yes, Montreal beat us too but that game didn’t mean much) before playing the Bombers. Meanwhile, the three best teams in the league, Winnipeg, BC, and Calgary, had to slug it out in the West and we were stuck playing BC in the West Final. Not making excuses for the Bombers, they played poorly, but it’s kinda unfortunate one team got to essentially sleepwalk through the whole regular season playing in a weak division, and then get hot at the right time to win the Grey Cup. That said, not sure the Argos even got hot. Montreal outsucked them last week and we continuously shot ourselves in the foot last night. We said the only team that could beat the Bombers were the Bombers themselves, and that’s what happened. The Bombers managed to wrestle away defeat in that game but give the Argos another five minutes and they may have found a way to lose. Both teams didn’t play well at all.

- Off the top of my head, here’s a quick run-down of how I think the roster might shape up.

QB: Zach will be back. He’s signed. I imagine Prukop is back as he was a good gadget back all year and really we should’ve been using him for that in the Grey Cup, instead of having him throw deep. Brown should be brought back as a developmental guy. He’s shown me enough to keep around, which is more than what can be said for most of the QBs we’ve brought in during the last few decades.

RB: After a rough start to the year, Oliveira has been great. He’s the new Harris. He’ll be here for years. Augustine is a bit older for a RB but he’s good on special teams and isn’t a bad Canadian backup. If he wants back, bring him back. I don’t mind McCrae either, he’s young, and a bit of a chess piece.

WR: Schoen likely gone to the NFL, but I’d welcome him back with open arms if that’s possible. Demski had an all-star year and will be a big piece next year again. Ellingson was good early on but might not have any left in the tank as he struggled after injury. Bailey I can take or leave, I do like his versatility though. Wolitarsky is a dependable Canadian, but O’Leary-Orange can probably move into his role. I’m looking forward to seeing Agudosi play a full season. There will be some turnover here.

OL: This is a difficult area to assess. Bryant won MOL and keeps on playing at an elite level which is insane for his age. He already mentioned playing again next year so I’m sure he’s back. Gray struggled in the Grey Cup but he’s probably back. Kolankowski will replace Couture like Holden said. After traditionally being the weak link on the line, Neufeld had a really great year this season. I wonder if he might retire now though. Hardrick was up and down a lot of the year. Curious to see what they do there. Dobson is probably ready for a starting role.

DL: I’d like to see some changes here. Our interior defensive line especially was not great all season, and our depth issue on the line was never really addressed. Neither Mack nor Wilcotts had much impact, and Adams hasn’t leapt off the page since we signed him. This wasn’t unexpected, we lost both Kongbo and Richardson in the offseason and couldn’t replace them. I watched last year’s Grey Cup again a few weeks ago and I think Stove was an underrated loss. He was such a problem in the middle that it opened up chances for the two Jeffs. Jefferson didn’t have the eye-opening stats that he usually does and had a few games this season where he seemed MIA. Not sure how much of that was him and how much of that was the lack of help he was getting. Jeffcoat is good but didn’t have a strong year and was hurt too much. Sayles is meh in the middle. Likewise with Thomas, and I think he might retire.

LB: I agree that Bighill has taken a step back. I think he plays with us again next year and is a solid leader but I don’t think we can expect him to be that field general anymore. The Wilson loss was critical and really hurt our run defence. Rutledge played well but given how he was demoted I can’t see him wanting to come back. I like Clements, would bring him back. Darby was good too.

Secondary: After starting slowly, I think Brandon Alexander returned to his usual self at safety once he recovered from injury. I thought Desmond Lawrence was a really good pickup. Parker is another good guy who will be better next year if we bring him back. Houston was playing fantastic too before his injury. Hope he makes a full recovery. Nichols was amazing this year too. Holm was an obvious weak spot but I doubt he sees starting duty again. Rose will be gone for sure. Taylor probably retires now. I can’t see Maston coming back now either considering he hasn’t played a game in over three years.

Kicking: Okay, I’ve already gone through my thoughts on this. I don’t think Legghio is back. Don’t want to dump on the guy any further today. Mourtada was weirdly on the practice roster all year but he’s probably gone. I think the Bombers will look for a “sure-thing” veteran a la the Medlock signing a number of years back.

- I guess if I were to put on my GM hat, in addition to bringing back some of the guys I mentioned above, I’d go UFA shopping for a solid DT, some more linebacker help, and obviously a kicker. Improving the defensive line would be my number one goal this offseason, but we’ll see how the chips fall with the other positions as we see what happens with our current crop of players.

- I looked briefly at the upcoming CFL draft. I believe @Holden Caulfield follows that much more closely and probably has better insights than me, but looking at some of the top prospects in this year’s draft, I’ve arrived at this: We’re picking 8th. There’s three defensive linemen ranked in the top 12, Lwal Uguak (6), Tavius Robinson (9), and Francis Bemiy (11). I wonder if we don’t grab one of them. That would help with our defensive line depth and give us some much needed Canadian help on the d-line. There’s much there behind Thomas, and he might not be back. Could also see us taking an o-lineman as there’s a number of them ranked in the top 15, we seem to really value o-line play, and ours struggled at times this year.

- It’ll be interesting to see how things shake out. Collaros was rough yesterday, no doubt, but he’s the guy here. As long as we have him, I think we’ll be a contender. BC will be formidable, but if Rourke doesn’t come back they’re f***ed. Maier in Calgary isn’t that amazing, but I do think they’re a well-coached team that plays hard. Saskatchewan is a mess. Edmonton is improving, but a ways off. The West is there for the taking. We’ll see what happens with the East but even with this Grey Cup win for the Argos I don’t see any powerhouses over there. I think the Bombers still should be favoured over the Lions, even with Rourke, though many will probably disagree. Assuming Rourke lingers on a practice roster down south next year, we shouldn’t have too many challengers. The Bombers will be pissed next season, and will probably end up blowing out Toronto in the regular season (you know, just to add salt to our wounds seeing as they played so poorly last night), but let’s see another 15-3 season, but let’s cap it off with a win. I’m already looking forward to it.

- Gotta give another shoutout to Grant. Love that guy. He’s so dynamic and exciting. I want to get a Stanley Bryant jersey next, but I’m strongly considering getting a Grant one after that in the New Year.

- At least with the Bombers done I can focus on the Jets and on Christmas. The offseason will surely be interesting, and I can’t wait to be back at IGF next season cheering on three in four. GO BOMBERS!!

Last edited:

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
While I wish it were otherwise, it is not, so I want to congratulate Andrew Harris on winning his third straight Grey Cup and fourth over all. He was instrumental in bringing two championships to our city and he will undoubtedly go down in history as one of the greatest Canadians (Winnipeggers) to play in the CFL.:clap:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Disappointing result, but the Bombers didn't deserve the win. Who was that who missed the tackle Kelly for the potential sack on 2nd and 15 before he ran for 20? That was definitely one of the turning points of the game....as they eventually got the go-ahead TD. I think if Jeffcoat was still in the game, there is a good chance Kelly is unable to break out for that 20 yard run.

Bombers need to improve the interior of the d-line in the off-season. One of the weak points on the team. Hopefully NFL teams no longer show any interest on putting Kongbo on their practice rosters and we bring him back here in 2023. He has that potential not only to be a good Canadian defensive tackle but one of the best in the league period.

Same thing with Desjarlais. He has already bounced around a bit on NFL practice rosters so I hope there are no teams interested for next year so the Bombers can bring him home. He is another one who has the potential to not just be one of the best Canadian offensive linemen, but one of the best o-linemen altogether.

I could see the club moving on from Jeffcoat and Hardrick. Hardrick's play has declined and Jeffcoat is injured to often to be worth the money we paid him. Good chance Schoen won't get more than a quick look in the off-season with some NFL teams as they have passed on him in past years and there is always a fresh crop of 22 - 24 year olds ready to prove themselves. I think he will be back in 2023 provided the Bombers are willing to pay the price.

Ellingson almost certainly won't be back given his injury history and lack of impact in the playoffs.

Legghio and the Bombers both need a fresh start...unless they maybe decide to use Legs solely for punting. Besides shaking field goal kicking, his kickoffs also suck as we were losing close to 15 yards on field positions compared to the Argos kicker.

Hope kyrie is back and fully healthy next year. Rutledge was kept out as he faded as the year progressed - not used to the 18 game schedule according to the coaches compared to the 12 game college season. Hopefully he can adjust next season.

We will probably see some new faces in the defensive backfield next year as is the case every year. I really hope Nichols is back - he is the best shutdown defensive back in the league. Don't want to lose an elite player again like we did last year with Alford.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Good chance Schoen won't get more than a quick look in the off-season with some NFL teams as they have passed on him in past years and there is always a fresh crop of 22 - 24 year olds ready to prove themselves. I think he will be back in 2023 provided the Bombers are willing to pay the price.

FYI on this. Schoen is under contract with the Bombers in 2023. So he can go to NFL this off-season bit if he returns to CFL in 2023 it will be to the Bombers under his rookie contract.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
After spending the majority of his career as a below-average starter, he broke out in 2021 and then last year had the best year of his career and was arguably the best offensive lineman on the team. I thought he was gonna retire, but I’m more than okay with this.

Another guy back for vengeance in 2023.
Paddy Neufeld and Jake Thomas. Love these Canadian underdogs.

Reactions: Jetland162702

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
After spending the majority of his career as a below-average starter, he broke out in 2021 and then last year had the best year of his career and was arguably the best offensive lineman on the team. I thought he was gonna retire, but I’m more than okay with this.

Another guy back for vengeance in 2023.
When healthy, he was not a below average starter. Unfortunately his "problem" was that early in his career he was injured and on an IRL or he played injured. Agree that this is a good re-signing.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
When healthy, he was not a below average starter. Unfortunately his "problem" was that early in his career he was injured and on an IRL or he played injured. Agree that this is a good re-signing.
Perhaps he was playing injured, yeah. He was always missing games with injury early on. He was not good early in his career but that could also have been a side effect of the line around him at the time being very poor. At 33 years old, I hope he still has some left in the tank, but he’s coming off a great season so well-worth the signing.

Man, I remember how awful our OL was back then... I think Neufeld was one of Walter's first moves (?)
I believe so. Mack was fired in summer 2013 and Neufeld came in during the fall.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Perhaps he was playing injured, yeah. He was always missing games with injury early on. He was not good early in his career but that could also have been a side effect of the line around him at the time being very poor. At 33 years old, I hope he still has some left in the tank, but he’s coming off a great season so well-worth the signing.

I believe so. Mack was fired in summer 2013 and Neufeld came in during the fall.
I'll be honest... when we traded Hall, I was like are you fkn kidding me - for a broken OL??? haha

Also to be fair, Walters did cut Thomas at one point... so we all make mistakes

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'll be honest... when we traded Hall, I was like are you fkn kidding me - for a broken OL??? haha

Also to be fair, Walters did cut Thomas at one point... so we all make mistakes
Hall was our best player at the time but as a rental that trade obviously paid off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad