Blown Leads in Game 7

TheEye

Nov 4, 2018
Let's just take this from the top if this is where we actually want to go...

From top to bottom, you and I are essentially describing the play breaking down in the same way. You've included what I'd consider to be some significant and possibly irrelevant detail. From my perspective, there are also a few inferences which may or may not be correct.

For instance, it's obvious Aho is going for the cycle down low. That's clear as day on tape and everyone dissecting the play will agree with that. If you feel the need to describe those things, that's fine. However, as an opposing example, I don't believe for a second that Slavin places that puck down to Washington's LD side because of any perceived numerical advantage. He looks up, and I'm guessing he sees an open corner and notices Williams is in front, with the shortest path to the puck. Pause the video at 4:30 and have a look for yourself. That play has nothing to do with Ovechkin. It's about the open ice down low and Williams' clear first step. Additionally, at no point can I see Pesce with dominant position in front of Ovechkin because he's out of the frame during the sequence.

I agree it was a bit of a tough puck for Wilson to corral. In my opinion, his mistake was initially trying moving it with his stick for a quick transition play. He should have knocked it down with his skate/leg and been ready to pin it against the boards, letting Backstrom cut back for support. Pinning the puck to the half-wall may have also provided an opportunity for a soft cycle down to the RD. Niskanen had the entire ice and opposition positioning in front of him.

In a nutshell:

Wilson commits an unforced error and is caught out of position, both wide and down low.

Backstrom recognizes this and covers for him because he is in transition to that area. Backstrom commits no errors on the play.

Simultaneously, Ovechkin blows the zone early. If the play unfolded differently, the goal may have been his fault. In this case, it wasn't.

Wilson is now forced to play out of position due to his error. Wilson neglects to tie up McGinn's stick while in the crease.

Game over.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Heh, that's such an old school question but a good one and one I've never asked myself before...

Then there is the question about properly leaving any zone from a faceoff. 1969 2OT, Canadiens properly exit the offensive zone taking advantage of the Bruins giving Orr a breather. Passing lanes clogged:

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What's worse? Blowing a 2- or 3-goal lead in Game 7, or not showing up at all and getting blown out?

I would imagine both could be infuriating to the losing side's fanbase.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
you missed a painful one...

2010 Bruins v Flyers

not only was it a 3-0 series comeback, the Bruins jumped out 3-0 in the 1st period of game 7...lost 4-3

I remember being pretty pissed about that at the time, but does anybody around Boston talk about that series anymore?

The Bruins swept the Flyers in 2011 and went on to win the Cup. Yup. The Flyers sure showed us, huh?

Since the Bruins’ 2010 collapse against the Flyers, the Celtics appeared in the 2010 NBA Finals; the Bruins won the 2011 Stanley Cup; the Patriots won the 2011 AFC Championship; the Bruins appeared in the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals; the Red Sox won the 2013 World Series; the Patriots won Super Bowls XLIX and LI; the Patriots won the 2017 AFC Championship; the Red Sox won the 2018 Word Series; and the Patriots won Super Bowl LIII.

Neither myself nor anyone I know ever really talks about that Flyers series. Honestly, the only time it ever comes up anywhere is in the hf boards history section. Seriously. It feels like a million years ago, and the Bruins ‘79 loss to the Canadiens gets talked about much more.

I think I speak for the overwhelming majority of Boston sports fans when I say that we’ve kinda forgotten about that one. We’ve done ok since then, and the Flyers can have their little second round 0-3 comeback.

We’re good.

Last edited:

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
In 2009 the Devils had a late lead against the Canes in game 7 of the first round. They gave up two goals in the final 1:20 to go from up 3-2 to down 4-3.

And wasn't this the last series the Canes won until the Caps series? Two years ten wins apart but both memorable with parallels.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Vancouver had a 2-0 lead against Minnesota in 2003.
Ohlund scored first then Bertuzzi scored the second...then chaos happened after...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Vancouver had a 2-0 lead against Minnesota in 2003.
Ohlund scored first then Bertuzzi scored the second...then chaos happened after...

Another one I thought of as well. Bertuzzi scored in Game 7 to make it 2-0 and then he sort of taunted the Wild bench didn't he? Bad news.

I remember being pretty pissed about that at the time, but does anybody around Boston talk about that series anymore?

The Bruins swept the Flyers in 2011 and went on to win the Cup. Yup. The Flyers sure showed us, huh?

Since the Bruins’ 2010 collapse against the Flyers, the Celtics appeared in the 2010 NBA Finals; the Bruins won the 2011 Stanley Cup; the Patriots won the 2011 AFC Championship; the Bruins appeared in the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals; the Red Sox won the 2013 World Series; the Patriots won Super Bowls XLIX and LI; the Patriots won the 2017 AFC Championship; the Red Sox won the 2018 Word Series; and the Patriots won Super Bowl LIII.

Neither myself nor anyone I know ever really talks about that Flyers series. Honestly, the only time it ever comes up anywhere is in the hf boards history section. Seriously. It feels like a million years ago, and the Bruins ‘79 loss to the Canadiens gets talked about much more.

I think I speak for the overwhelming majority of Boston sports fans when I say that we’ve kinda forgotten about that one. We’ve done ok since then, and the Flyers can have their little second round 0-3 comeback.

We’re good.

It is more of a trivia question now than anything. One of those 4 3-0 series deficits that happened in NHL history. It hurts a lot less I am sure because immediately after that same core, but with Thomas in net over Rask, they won the Cup. Then the Red Sox, and then the Patriots since then of course. I almost feel as if the 1975 World Series gets talked about more than even some wins by Bostonians.

Reactions: rfournier103

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Did the three-goal blown lead in game seven never happen back in the 40s, 50s, 60s? Of course in lower-scoring situations it's less likely, but I would have thought at least once or twice...

Good question, and I know some of it was addressed. Just for starters the 5 times a three goal lead was blown in Game 7 history was as follows:

1988 Caps over Flyers
1991 Oilers over Flames
2010 Flyers over Bruins
2013 Bruins over Leafs
2019 Sharks over Knights

Game 7 didn't start in the NHL until 1939 and I think part of why it never happened before 1988 is because there were less series, and less opportunity for Game 7s in the first place. Plus in the original 6 there were no secrets. Teams played each other 14 times a year, that played into it as well.

I looked it up, and Game 7s back then especially were low scoring and tight. Lots of 3-1 games, stuff like that. Sort of like today, but more back then. Toronto and Boston in 1959 had a Game 7 where Boston had a 2-1 lead going into the third period and the Leafs scored twice in the 3rd to win 3-2. In 1965 Detroit had a 2-0 lead - at home - midway through the 2nd period before Chicago scored twice and then two more in the 3rd. In all honesty, that is probably the worst blown lead in Game 7s during the original 6 era.

Another thing to add, the playoff bonus money was huge, even up until the 1980s. Could this be another reason we didn't see a 3-0 blown lead in a Game 7 until 1988?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Is it just me, or were there others who watched that 3rd period with Vegas and San Jose who were cheering for Vegas just solely on the basis that it would be a terrible black mark for hockey if the Sharks won because of that horrible call. When I saw the penalty I thought, oh boy, this could be drastic. 6 seconds into the power play I don't know about the rest of you, but I figured it was the springboard to the Sharks winning. Even in overtime when Fleury was holding them in there I was just thinking "Oh come on Vegas, do it for the game of hockey so that we aren't talking about it for 100 years!"

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
It is more of a trivia question now than anything. One of those 4 3-0 series deficits that happened in NHL history. It hurts a lot less I am sure because immediately after that same core, but with Thomas in net over Rask, they won the Cup. Then the Red Sox, and then the Patriots since then of course. I almost feel as if the 1975 World Series gets talked about more than even some wins by Bostonians.

You hit the nail right on the head.

You’re not going to believe this, but I’ve met people (younger fans) who actually believe the Red Sox won that World Series. It’s mind-blowing.

I’ve even had someone from Cincinnati admit to me that he didn’t know the Reds won that Series until he was in his 20s.

Is it just me, or were there others who watched that 3rd period with Vegas and San Jose who were cheering for Vegas just solely on the basis that it would be a terrible black mark for hockey if the Sharks won because of that horrible call. When I saw the penalty I thought, oh boy, this could be drastic. 6 seconds into the power play I don't know about the rest of you, but I figured it was the springboard to the Sharks winning. Even in overtime when Fleury was holding them in there I was just thinking "Oh come on Vegas, do it for the game of hockey so that we aren't talking about it for 100 years!"

Let me ask you this, @Big Phil, when was the last time a team got four goals on one power play? Never mind just in the playoffs, but ever? I’ve never seen it. Hell, I’ve never HEARD of it!

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Another one I thought of as well. Bertuzzi scored in Game 7 to make it 2-0 and then he sort of taunted the Wild bench didn't he? Bad news.

When the Canucks went up 3-1, Bertuzzi and Jovanovski started chirping against the Wild saying to get the golf clubs ready.

Wild switched to Roloson after game 4, Wild adjusted and the Canucks started to get attacked as the Wild knew Cloutier, when having tons of shots towards him...will get rattled and some will go through...

Heck a shit ton went through Cloutier, Crawford couldn’t adjust to Lemaires style and we got shit kicked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad