Blow this team up already!

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
It is clear that Babs and now Keefe could not get this team to follow a plan, or they have no plan. Keefe must go. Even Domi has been dumb no matter what he is asked to do, he, like Mitchy, find it necessary to exit the plan to satisfy their own ego.
Can Reilly possibly be coached to be caught up ice so much.
Can Sammy possibly be coached to be 3 feet infront of his crease with Marchant standing off to his left in the circle.
Keefe seems so reluctant to coach, his assistants seem to be powerless, certainly ineffective in coaching both special teams. They are not bad coaches, nor were the past seasons coaches.
Common thread is the core and inparticular Mitchy.
This supporting class of players is pretty good. Knies, Bert, Domi, Edmondson, Benoit, Dewar, Jarnkrok, Reaves, and others are good enough to play on this Bruins team.

Yes, Keefe is gone, coaches are gone...but that is not enough.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
No need to blow the team up to the barebones, they need a culture shock to them though. They been through a GM and a Coach already, Next is changing one of the comfortable players.

Need to build from the net out, the good thing is Treliving will have a clean slate from the goalie to the defense with only Rielly, McCabe and Beniot being locked into a roster spot.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Vegas won a cup in a few years. Our all time record with this club is 5 post season wins in 8 years. We usually win 3 games

I wish people would stop making excuses for this team. Keefe is not instructing Marner to be soft and bail on puck battles

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Vegas won a cup in a few years. Our all time record with this club is 5 post season wins in 8 years. We usually win 3 games

I wish people would stop making excuses for this team. Keefe is not instructing Marner to be soft and bail on puck battles

The Vegas model is hard to follow unless you have an organization and a player with no morals.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The Vegas model is hard to follow unless you have an organization and a player with no morals.
Omg trying to spin the Vegas success in a bad way because they’ve done better than the leafs. A lot of teams that have won m cups have been sketchy and borderline with the rules. Trying to be this more holy than others isn’t working. It’s why we’re in this situation since we coddled the core 4 and gave them everything they wanted.

Reactions: egd27

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Omg trying to spin the Vegas success in a bad way because they’ve done better than the leafs. A lot of teams that have won m cups have been sketchy and borderline with the rules. Trying to be this more holy than others isn’t working. It’s why we’re in this situation since we coddled the core 4 and gave them everything they wanted.

I have no motive behind my post, weird thing to try to assign a motive to what I am saying.

Leafs are playing like trash and I am not trying to excuse their play.

I am pointing out you need an organization that doesn't care about cheating, and you need a player who also has no morals.

Not sure we have that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Vegas and tampa did what they had to do to win Cups .. and bettman is ok with usa teams playing for cups as ratings and revenues climb .. a canadian team competing just kills revenues as usa revenues drop .. canadian revenues only go up as canadians watch and support their friends usa teams

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
The Shanaplan/Dubas plan of spending half your payroll on four players is a disaster. Blow it up. Fire Shanny. Fire the coach. Were stuck with JT for another year. Keep #34 and #88. Trade Marner and pretty much anyone else. I'm so tired of always playing from behind in the playoffs. We never win the first game. Our regular season goal scoring strategy doesn't work in April. Come playoff time this team is like Beavis and Butthead. They can't score.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You're probably right on the timing and Shanahan and you're definitely right on the rest of the coaching staff.

The interesting aspect will be Treliving. How long will his leash be with a new boss?

Mentioned this in another thread, but if there's a new president Tre is here one more year max. Tre was brought in, for better or for worse, to keep consistency with the current organizational strategy.

A new President will want a new GM and new coach. Might keep Tre around for an extra year to buy time (like Shanny did with Nonis) and take care of the minor stuff

Imo the fate of that will be determined by how the series ends.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Everyone in this thread keeps saying move Marner. How is this supposed to happen? Asking him to waive his NMC? Is it realistic to think that he'd actually do this?
With the criticism he is getting from everyone in hockey, is it realistic to think he wouldn't welcome a move?

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Mentioned this in another thread, but if there's a new president Tre is here one more year max. Tre was brought in, for better or for worse, to keep consistency with the current organizational strategy.

A new President will want a new GM and new coach. Might keep Tre around for an extra year to buy time (like Shanny did with Nonis) and take care of the minor stuff

Imo the fate of that will be determined by how the series ends.
Who knows. It depends on how well Tre and the new President share a vision. I find it hard to believe that based on how Tre builds teams that he's happy / on board with 4 players having > 50% of the cap.

Maybe it was "see how this season goes, and if they fail, then we blow it up". But then again, Dubas complained about autonomy and hinted at trading a core 4 member and was not resigned. So I don't know.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Who knows. It depends on how well Tre and the new President share a vision. I find it hard to believe that based on how Tre builds teams that he's happy / on board with 4 players having > 50% of the cap.

Maybe it was "see how this season goes, and if they fail, then we blow it up". But then again, Dubas complained about autonomy and hinted at trading a core 4 member and was not resigned. So I don't know.

Do you think the man whose most recent big contracts are Huberdeau @ 10.5x8, Nylander @ 11.5 x 8, and Matthews @ 13.25 x 4 is not happy/on board with all these big contracts?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I hate how divided leaf fans have become. I wish we could all get back on the same page but don’t know what that will look like.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Everyone in this thread keeps saying move Marner. How is this supposed to happen? Asking him to waive his NMC? Is it realistic to think that he'd actually do this?
If a GM wanted to move him this summer and it was leaked that he wouldn't consider waiving for the type of team that he would likely be considering signing with if he was UFA next summer, he would have to endure a storm of bad press and become hated in TO for the rest of his career.

I would think it is likely that before that happened he would work out a deal behind the scenes that allowed him control of his destination, but the return might not be great.

Last edited:

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Nylander and Rielly are still here with their bad contracts.

Fire Shanahan. Lure best exec (Armstrong) to be president with one condition. Marner and Tavares must be gone before September.
you don't hire "best exec" and then put on a condition, if he's the best he should know best what to do...

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
With the criticism he is getting from everyone in hockey, is it realistic to think he wouldn't welcome a move?
Yeah I don't understand how people keep saying Marner will refuse to waive. It's looking more likely that he will, we're reaching nuclear levels here with how much the media has dogpiled on the player since last night. It's in the best interest of both parties to move on, Paul is going to be the biggest obstacle.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
There was an interview with Hyman and he talked about playing with Matthews and Marner, he mentioned when he was on a line with those two the game plan was for him to be the checker and retrieve the puck for those two. That just goes to show what a joke this management group really is and how the star players are treated differently. I get having someone more physical on the line, but there should never be that designated puck retriever when all 3 forwards should be busting their ass off to retrieve the puck. You want to play a puck possession game, well everyone better be busting their ass to get the puck on our sticks. You think Boston allows/allowed Bergeron, Marchand and Pastrnak to just coast around the ice and let others supposedly do the work for them? No they led/lead by example in every department. This core needs a serious change.

Unlikely but I’d love for JT and Marner to f*** off this summer.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
How are they going to blow the team up with more than half of their salary cap tied up in no movement clauses (most for several years). The only player they can actually move on from is Marner right now. I guess you could put everyone else in the press box and tank but I'm not sure what else you can do. They already had the perfect opportunity last summer to dump Keefe and trade Nylander and decided against it (not saying they deserved it, just saying it was available). Now they're locked in with what they have.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Honestly, get rid of Treliving too while you're at it. It's not like he made a difference anyway. This was the worst team we've had in awhile, both regular season and playoffs.

Let's really make it count.
Yeah it'd be a strange mix to fire the coach and president and keep a lame duck year 2 GM who knows he's on borrowed time already

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shanny and his crew get fired pretty quickly after da playoffs .. it won't take long .. and then search for a new hockey guy starts .. then Marner and JT get moved out or sit on sidelines .. they both likely move their no trades as it does not help either to sit season .. i doubt JT retires .. but a hard line must be taken with both in best interests of TEAM .. after a few games everyone will forget JT and Mitch .. and so it goes .. new hockey guy will build new team with FA D men and let kids play C with Minten and Cowan playing with Matty and Holmberg .. let Gs Woll and Hildeby get their chance to play .. team will slide down standings next year but a rebuild may only take 2 years here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad