Blow this team up already!

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
We were not winning the cup, this team has flaws starting from the top. Clean house.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think one of the problems is that the Leafs have gotten themselves far too complacent in "let's get out of the first round".... losing sight of the goal that with the pieces they have, they should be having home ice in the playoffs, getting #1 seeds, dispatching teams in the first round without having to go 7 games, and losing in round 2 or 3, maybe finals, maybe you win one.

2017 I get the first round loss. They snuck into the playoffs with a team that was probably too young to be there in the first place -- they hung in there with the Caps; so I think it's fair to consier that a success.

2018 First time against Boston, again you have to be a little "Ok" with the loss... they weren't that deep, Kadri gets himself suspended.

However, it's now been 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 -- 6 years where this team has been stuck in mediocrity and made no appreciable dent setting a higher bar for themselves.

In that time, Tampa has fallen off a bit, Boston has lost a huge number of important pieces to retirement and remained better than them every year, and Florida also rebuilt themselves on the fly.... not to mention the Red Wings, Sabres and Senators upcoming with a ton of young talent.

I don't know who to fire -- as I don't pretend to have full in depth to the politics of who makes what decisions at MLSE, but this blindly loyal attachment to building around Matthews/Nylander/Marner, despite them not being interested in sacrificing money to win, needs to change.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I can't see Tavares not finishing up his last year in Toronto, with that salary.

If they could talk him into a new contract, at a lower salary, would that go into effect immediately? If so, might be worth asking him to take one for the team and sign a new deal.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Out...

Shanahan
Keefe
Marner ($10.9 million)
Brodie ($5.0 million)
Timmins ($1.1 million)
Samsonov ($3.5 Million)

Extend Bertuzzi, Domi, Edmundson and Liljegren. Trade Marner for a #1 RHD and a prospect / pick. Use the money saved to trade for a 2C in his prime. Get a 1B goalie to play in tandem with Woll.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Knies-Addition-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Kampf-Holmberg
Dewar

Reilly-Addition
Edmundson-Liljegren
Benoit-McCabe

Woll
1B

Develop the hell out of...
Eastan Cowan
Nikita Grebenkin
Fraser Mintern

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
How can we get rid of marner and Reilly, would they waive their nmc if we sat them?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
If they could talk him into a new contract, at a lower salary, would that go into effect immediately? If so, might be worth asking him to take one for the team and sign a new deal.

It wouldn't go into effect until the season after, were stuck with his cap hit unless we buy him out or trade him.

I doubt many changes to the team will happen unless Marner wants to leave.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Marner's last year is next year it looks like. I guess they are going to lose him and get nothing in return as he has a NMC.

No way do you re-sign him.

Reactions: ashs

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Non-emotional take. I’m on this train, blow it ALL up, starting with Shanahan.
I love some of the additions Toronto made this year. I think Shanny and Keefe have to go, along with Marner a d Samsonov, but I think this team is getting closer...

Benoit played fantastic and I love the price tag he's extended at...

Knies is just going to keep getting better. Loved the version of him we've been watching the last couple games.

Bertuzzi and Domi can both get extensions if you ask me, as long as the price is reasonable.

Bobby McMann had a great season and it's a shame he was injured. Excited to see what he can do in an expanded role.

Really excited to see what they can get in return for Marner and I'll be pumped to watch Cowan, Grebyonkin, Minten and thi year's 1st rounder develop.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Looking at the lack of draft picks this summer and next summer, and with Marner and Tavares entering the final season of their current contracts, I’d be open to the Leafs doing a minor rebuild next season. Don’t trade picks from an already bare cupboard. If Marner and Tavares are willing to waive their no move clauses, try to get some assets out of them and retain 50%. Try taking on salary dumps (expiring contracts only) at the deadline and acquire picks that way as well.

Try to push for playoffs next season but keep assets and focus on 2025-26.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Looking at the lack of draft picks this summer and next summer, and with Marner and Tavares entering the final season of their current contracts, I’d be open to the Leafs doing a minor rebuild next season. Don’t trade picks from an already bare cupboard. If Marner and Tavares are willing to waive their no move clauses, try to get some assets out of them and retain 50%. Try taking on salary dumps (expiring contracts only) at the deadline and acquire picks that way as well.

Try to push for playoffs next season but keep assets and focus on 2025-26.

QFT.

They're already set for a backwards step because Matthews & Nylander got raises exceeding the increase of the cap.

Lean into it. Accumulate some assets and develop the young guys that you have which are borderline read.y

Reactions: seventieslord

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Lilly has to go. He didn't do much right at all. Reilly sucked too

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In post season goal scoring is 2, and they're closer than one would expect.
1714882702074.png

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crazy how with our injury trouble to our 3 best players we still took it to game 7 OT. Once again though the result is nevertheless utterly disappointing. Changes must happen finally.

Reactions: ashs

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Raptors had the balls to move DeRozan. Let's see if the Leafs do, they have not for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad