Blow it up pt 2

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Last year if I recall- pre COVID , after being uninspired by the play of the group and seeing the writing on the wall (I’m an early adopter of
Trends) I suggested that this team’s window has closed and the core should be dismantled and a rebuilding phase should begin.

Today : I echo the same sentiments .

there is something rotten about the core of this team and it’s been like that over the past couple of years .

The following players should be offloaded :

-johansen (arguably our most disappointing player)
- Josi (sell high)
- Ellis
- Arvidsson
- Jarnkrok

for once we have a chance to move assets to stack prospects and good draft picks and younger players who haven’t peaked yet .

also fire john Hynes

Reactions: Bick Nonino

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
How the hell do you even blow this team up? Look at the contract structure, starting a rebuild now is virtually impossible.
Right now you can't. Almost no one is going to give you much with the length and size of these contracts, especially with economics as they are.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
How the hell do you even blow this team up? Look at the contract structure, starting a rebuild now is virtually impossible.
If saros proves he's not a #1 and forsberg walks at the end of the current contract, that's gonna be the time we blow it up. so after the 21-22 season.

it should have happened after we got embarrassed by the stars in the first round.

(Hopefully this post ages poorly)

Reactions: bdub24

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If saros proves he's not a #1 and forsberg walks at the end of the current contract, that's gonna be the time we blow it up. so after the 21-22 season.

it should have happened after we got embarrassed by the stars in the first round.

(Hopefully this post ages poorly)

We will find out on Sunday!

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Last year if I recall- pre COVID , after being uninspired by the play of the group and seeing the writing on the wall (I’m an early adopter of
Trends) I suggested that this team’s window has closed and the core should be dismantled and a rebuilding phase should begin.

Today : I echo the same sentiments .

there is something rotten about the core of this team and it’s been like that over the past couple of years .

The following players should be offloaded :

-johansen (arguably our most disappointing player) - Who is taking his contract?
- Josi (sell high) - Last season's scoring leader for Nashville and the Norris winner!
- Ellis - On his way down at 30. He may be too small to play D in the NHL now.
- Arvidsson - The offensive sparkplug for the team. You need an energy guy on offense.
- Jarnkrok - The utility forward who can fill a hole on any line. Trust me, the Preds have too many holes at the moment. Anybody who can fill one needs to stay!

for once we have a chance to move assets to stack prospects and good draft picks and younger players who haven’t peaked yet .

also fire john Hynes
Click on expand so you can see my comments.

Maybe firing Hynes if he can't improve this team.

Perhaps Ellis could be taken in the draft for Seattle.

Everything in red I disagree with. You are shooting holes in the bottom of the Pred's boat!

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I personally would’ve been fine with letting the young guys play and us get a good 1st round pick. Trade ekholm at the deadline and regroup next season. Don’t think we are at scorched earth yet but we really need to get younger. Hynes is a great tank commander but we need to figure out where the team is heading and plan out a new head coach. Sell some pieces at the deadline if we are out and take a good look at retooling in the offseason

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Hynes is not the right guy to coach this team. I have said this for a year now. Yes we got embarrassed by the stars but, you can not take one game and say you want to blow up a team. We are putting pressure on teams and for once we have a 3rd d pair that we are not holding our breath everytime they are on the ice. We have solved a lot of holes on this team. There’s still holes that need to be filled. We need a finisher. Plan and simple. Fire Hynes. We should have gotten Babcock. Injecting some youth would help too but not dismantling the team

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
One thing this season helps us with: the expansion draft. Right now, I don’t think anyone would blink if we didn’t protect Duchene, Joey or Ellis. All hail Poile for not giving them any protection in their contracts.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
One thing this season helps us with: the expansion draft. Right now, I don’t think anyone would blink if we didn’t protect Duchene, Joey or Ellis. All hail Poile for not giving them any protection in their contracts.
Well, you can hail him for not giving them the NMCs. But he's probably still going to protect them. So even though it's technically possible to expose them... it's probably a moot point. :(

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Poile would never do this lol, also one blowout doesn’t mean we should blow our team up. I think we’re stuck with what we got, I mean it was bad enough to where we just bought out Turris cause we couldn’t trade him. Right now Poile obviously believes in his core he built because he kinda has to, so until he’s gone I don’t see us having a full on rebuild any time soon.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Well, you can hail him for not giving them the NMCs. But he's probably still going to protect them. So even though it's technically possible to expose them... it's probably a moot point. :(
As it stands right now, it looks like Connor Ingram is the only G that can be left as out there to meet the expansion draft minimal requirements.

We have to use one protection on Josi (NMC), but we could hoard the rest of the protections and leave everyone else unprotected. Maybe someone will give out a trophy to the team with the most unused player protections.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Time for changes:

#1) Sorry Poile but it's time to go different ways
#2) Bye Hynes and the rest of his coaching staff
#3) Leave either Joey or Duchene exposed in the expansion if you can't find a trade partner
#4) Trade off some of the bottom 9 (Jarnkrok, Sissons, Haula, Cousins, Grimaldi, Granlund, Richardson, etc) - make some room for the young players. They're hungry for a roster spot and I'm tired of blocking them off completely.
#5) Trade off Ekholm - Even with not needing to protect 7 forwards we also can't afford to spend 20M+ on 3 dmen (Ellis, Josi, Ekholm) after Ekholm gets an extension.

That leaves a base team of

Forsberg - Joey/Duchene - Arvidsson - Kunin
Josi - Ellis
Saros/Retirement Rinne

We won't find a place for all the forwards so they fill in some of the gaps and let Tolvanen/Pitlick/Olivier/Trenin/etc play

Reactions: AintLifeGrand

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Time for changes:

#1) Sorry Poile but it's time to go different ways
#2) Bye Hynes and the rest of his coaching staff
#3) Leave either Joey or Duchene exposed in the expansion if you can't find a trade partner
#4) Trade off some of the bottom 9 (Jarnkrok, Sissons, Haula, Cousins, Grimaldi, Granlund, Richardson, etc) - make some room for the young players. They're hungry for a roster spot and I'm tired of blocking them off completely.
#5) Trade off Ekholm - Even with not needing to protect 7 forwards we also can't afford to spend 20M+ on 3 dmen (Ellis, Josi, Ekholm) after Ekholm gets an extension.

That leaves a base team of

Forsberg - Joey/Duchene - Arvidsson - Kunin
Josi - Ellis
Saros/Retirement Rinne

We won't find a place for all the forwards so they fill in some of the gaps and let Tolvanen/Pitlick/Olivier/Trenin/etc play

In my opinion our prospect pool is nowhere good enough to rebuild from so if you're really serious about blowing it up I would you need to prepare for a minimum of 3 years of just being straight awful (see Detroit) and another 2-3 of getting back to contender level. That's assuming you hit on your draft picks and don't end up in perpetual mediocrity like many other teams have. In the meantime you try to get as much value as possible from guys and clear as much cap space as possible right now so you can quickly revamp our prospect pool. The moves I would make are:

1. Replace Poile
2. Keep Hynes and replace him once you're getting close to competing again. If you really think he sucks you want a bad coach for the short term.
3. Try and trade 2 out of 3 of Ellis, Duchene, and Johansen. If no takers leave them all exposed and hope you can dump one of those contracts.
4. Trade Forsberg, Arvidsson, and Ekholm as they are by far our most valuable assets.

If we are mid rebuild there is a good chance Forsberg is gone when he hits UFA. Arvidsson and Ekholm will both likely be past their primes when the rebuild is done. We can get a bunch of 2nd or later round picks from our depth guys but that isn't getting us anywhere in a rebuild.

The downside to all of this is we would be god awful in a way we haven't seen since the early years of the team. There is a good chance we're back in a poor financial situation especially with the Titans being good again and an MLS team that looks to be pretty good. If Nashville gets an MLB team that makes it an even tougher sports market to compete in. There is also a good possibility that your prospects never pan out and you stay in a circle of suck for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Playing the prospects? What a concept!

2019-2020 season: Carrier 3 games, Santini 2, Richard 1, Olivier 8, Tinordi 28, Trenin 21 games, 6 pts, 1 TKO, Blackwell 27 games, 10 points, now with the Rangers.
Notes: Tolvanen and Pitlick 0 games.

2018-2019 season: Blackwell 6; Pitlick 1; Richard 1; Fabbro 4; Tolvanen 4, Grimaldi 53 games, 13 pts.

2017-2018 season: Tolvanen 3, Gaudreau 20 games and 3 points.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
In all seriousness, if we were to expose one of our top-two centers in the expansion draft, which one you guys would rather expose?

My choice would be Duchene. It can't be a coincidence anymore that any team he joins starts to trend downwards. Something about him just seems off, the way he came to Nashville was like music and that stuff first, hockey second. He hasn't been impressive at all and has a huge contract, one more year than Joey has. He's 1.5 years older as well.

Joey has not been good either the last year or so, but he does have some chemistry with some of our players and has shown the ability to produce in the postseason. He's a better matchup center for other teams top lines, as he is better defensively than Duchene. He could shelter Tomasino in that center position better than Duchene could.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In all seriousness, if we were to expose one of our top-two centers in the expansion draft, which one you guys would rather expose?

My choice would be Duchene. It can't be a coincidence anymore that any team he joins starts to trend downwards. Something about him just seems off, the way he came to Nashville was like music and that stuff first, hockey second. He hasn't been impressive at all and has a huge contract, one more year than Joey has. He's 1.5 years older as well.

Joey has not been good either the last year or so, but he does have some chemistry with some of our players and has shown the ability to produce in the postseason. He's a better matchup center for other teams top lines, as he is better defensively than Duchene. He could shelter Tomasino in that center position better than Duchene could.
As of today, I would expose Duchene too. Johansen is at least our misfit, feels more a part of the family, and as you say less time and age on him too.

I still can't imagine it coming to that IRL though, it would be too much like admitting defeat for Poile, so he'll protect them anyway, even if they struggle again. :(

Reactions: Viqsi

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
As of today, I would expose Duchene too. Johansen is at least our misfit, feels more a part of the family, and as you say less time and age on him too.

I still can't imagine it coming to that IRL though, it would be too much like admitting defeat for Poile, so he'll protect them anyway, even if they struggle again. :(

Might be fine by me, if he exposes Ellis then. We can't afford to lose a guy like Kunin for nothing, that would also be like admitting defeat given the price we paid for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad