Speculation: BLOG: Brace for busy deadline with 25+ trades, 60+ players moving

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I went out on a limb in predicting there would be 28 total trades between now and Wednesday afternoon, with 22 of them occurring on deadline day.

It should be noted that I have no inside knowledge on any negotiations, but I like to think I have decent insight on what teams might be looking for and what other teams could be wanting in return.

Essentially, I like to think I’m capable of making educated guesses at times like these. Realistically, I’m throwing turds at the wall and hoping a few of them stick.

Some of these deals I’m about to toss out will seem absurd and outlandish, others will appear possible or perhaps even probable, and maybe — just maybe — a couple will come to fruition.

Read more at: http://larry-fisher.com/2014/03/01/trade-deadline-predictions-no-fewer-than-60-players-changing-teams/

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I assume we are predicting a lot of new GM's for the draft as some of those trades are so lopsided that someone would get fired. Here are my two favorites.

Vanek the rental for Rundblad a 1st and a 2nd? good lawd phoenix gets destroyed, phoenix would puke if asked for Rundblad for a rental.

cam ward for evander kane? oh mylanta

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Some of these are bad.. Why would the Rangers trade Callahan for Bickell?

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Op admits to throwing turds at wall. Blind speculation with no inside knowledge admitted right in the post. Will not click link and feed the beast. That is all.

We have other places to discuss ridiculous trade proposals.

/thread

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Gagner for mcneil, pirri, 2nd
Hemsky, Bryz, N Schultz for Neuvrith, Orlov, 1st

Can this guy be our GM? :laugh:
Cam Ward for Evander Kane is extremely laughable.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
What a joke. Proof that you dont need even a 100 IQ to have a blog.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I assume we are predicting a lot of new GM's for the draft as some of those trades are so lopsided that someone would get fired. Here are my two favorites.

Vanek the rental for Rundblad a 1st and a 2nd? good lawd phoenix gets destroyed, phoenix would puke if asked for Rundblad for a rental.

cam ward for evander kane? oh mylanta

Personally, I don't think Phoenix gives up enough in that one. I wouldn't think Rundblad has a whole ton of value.

The Ward/Kane one is pretty out there.

Not thrilled about his Gagner proposal but the Hemsky one is very far-fetched.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Summary:

Oilers OUT

Gagner
N.Schultz
Smyth
Hemsky
Bryz
Jones
Belov

IN

Pirri
McNeil
CHI 2nd 2014
MTL 3rd 2014
Carter Ashton
TOR 5th 2014
Neuvirth
Orlov
WSH 1st 2014

For the bundle of junk we're shipping out? Hell yes.

I'd probably have to gouge my eyes out after seeing Smyth in a Leafs jersey though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I wonder if every team board thinks that these HFpartner spam threads are as useless as this board considers them to be.

These things are more and more frequent. Worst threads on the boards. Are these like writers in training or something?

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Oilers’ damned if they do, damned if they don’t at trade deadline

Based on the track record, things don’t look to be getting better in Edmonton any time soon.

With the NHL trade deadline on Wednesday, armchair GMs are compiling their ‘trade trackers’ and many have a handful of deals in place that would (in theory) make life that much easier for Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish and his supporting cast.

However, there’s two problems with most scenarios involving trades that include any member of Edmonton’s personnel:

1) No return will actually HELP the team in the short-term.

2) Most trades proposed by fantasy GMs are wishful thinking.

Read more at: http://larry-fisher.com/2014/03/02/damned-if-they-do-damned-if-they-dont-oilers-outlook-on-trade-deadline/

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Based on the track record, things don’t look to be getting better in Edmonton any time soon.

With the NHL trade deadline on Wednesday, armchair GMs are compiling their ‘trade trackers’ and many have a handful of deals in place that would (in theory) make life that much easier for Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish and his supporting cast.

However, there’s two problems with most scenarios involving trades that include any member of Edmonton’s personnel:

1) No return will actually HELP the team in the short-term.

2) Most trades proposed by fantasy GMs are wishful thinking.

Read more at: http://larry-fisher.com/2014/03/02/damned-if-they-do-damned-if-they-dont-oilers-outlook-on-trade-deadline/

YOUR ARTICLE NEEDS MORE CAPS.:shakehead

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I wonder if every team board thinks that these HFpartner spam threads are as useless as this board considers them to be.

These things are more and more frequent. Worst threads on the boards. Are these like writers in training or something?

Absolutely. I feel like sponsors should automatically get these threads hidden.

Last edited:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
First things first, I can handle criticism and backlash and I enjoy debate over posts like this, which I have been getting plenty of on the main Trade Rumours board and which I have addressed there to some extent.

But the personal attacks from Replacement and 40oz — two very veteran posters here, no less — are way out of line. What's wrong with you guys? If you don't like the threads I'm sharing here, it's pretty simple, don't click the links. Past that, don't "waste your time" commenting on them.

As for the "writers in training" and "read Larry's about me to find all about his internship in Lethbridge and all his other credentials", those are very unnecessary and immature low blows.

I will have been a professional sports writer for a decade in June, paying the bills with my published work to very few complaints or conflicts. I have been working for a daily newspaper for the last 5 1/2 years, covering everything from the 2010 Winter Olympics to UFC 115 in Vancouver, the Detroit Red Wings layover in Kelowna and the Canucks Young Stars tournaments in Penticton, not to mention tons of WHL hockey. I have shook the hands of and interviewed everybody from Sidney Crosby to Dana White, Mike Babcock to Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I regularly rub elbows with NHL personnel and WHL scouts at Kelowna Rockets home games as we share the same press box and pre-game meals. I have former Oilers assistant general manager Kevin Prendergast and current Oilers director of amateur scouting Stu MacGregor among the contacts in my cellphone, along with cell numbers for dozens of other prominent people in the hockey world, including several NHL alumni of the Rockets and other WHL teams, who always give me the time of day to talk some puck on or off the record. Check out my Portfolio while you are on the website to see some of that published work, what I do for a living.

I enjoy what I do, and I maintain the blog in my personal time as more of a hobby than anything. So I tried to have a little fun with some trade deadline predictions — and let it be known that more than 6,000 people visited the website and more than 100 posted over 5 pages on the Trade Rumours board. Many of them quite liked this compilation and others called me an "idiot" or "crazy" for my proposed deals, which I fully expected and refused to return fire. As I posted in the Trade Rumours board, I am taking a wait-and-see approach on the predictions front. There's really no point debating the unknown right now. And I'd be going mental if I refuted every post. Some are fair and some are not. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I will eat whatever crow or humble pie deemed necessary once Wednesday's deadline passes — and I'm sure there will be plenty to eat, as would be the case for any poster who listed 24 potential trades five days in advance of the deadline. But until then, it's not worth my time or energy to write individual rebuttals. As you may have noticed, anybody who took the time to actually comment on the website, I addressed their concerns accordingly and in as timely a fashion as possible.

However, when it comes to Replacement and 40oz, you guys seriously need to lighten up and grow up. I don't see either of you posting links to your personal websites with "better" trade deadline predictions or even posting under your real names for that matter. Why don't you tell us all a little about yourselves, who you are and what you do for careers. Then everybody here can draw their own conclusions in terms of who might be worth reading and listening to when it comes to hockey opinions going forward.

Last edited:

poetryingasoline

Feb 20, 2008
First things first, I can handle criticism and backlash and I enjoy debate over posts like this, which I have been getting plenty of on the main Trade Rumours board and which I have addressed there to some extent.

But the personal attacks from Replacement and 40oz — two very veteran posters here, no less — are way out of line. What's wrong with you guys? If you don't like the threads I'm sharing here, it's pretty simple, don't click the links. Past that, don't "waste your time" commenting on them.......

However, when it comes to Replacement and 40oz, you guys seriously need to lighten up and grow up. I don't see either of you posting links to your personal websites with "better" trade deadline predictions or even posting under your real names for that matter. Why don't you tell us all a little about yourselves, who you are and what you do for careers. Then everybody here can draw their own conclusions in terms of who might be worth reading and listening to when it comes to hockey opinions going forward.

While my opinion means spit on here I am sorry you have gone through this.

This team forum on HFBoards has a tendency to be unwelcoming, rude and narrow minded thanks to a few posters which is the reason why I post and creep rarely here anymore.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Oiler fans will be surprised, when few if none of our FA are moved by deadline. How many of you pick up your neighbours dog crap, and use it for fertilizer in your garden? :D

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The problem is your blog belongs in the proposal thread and is not deserving of its own thread.

You making a fancy website doesn't validate anything and imo isn't deserving a stand alone thread.

When people post thread title like yours, its misleading because when i click to come in this thread i am expecting a link to something legitimate from someone with sources or a respected media member. Not random blog person makes fantasy trade proposals just like the 8000 existing threads on HFboards.

I support what 40oz and Replacement said about these spam HFpartner threads. Sorry if you don't like it.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
The problem is your blog belongs in the proposal thread and is not deserving of its own thread.

You making a fancy website doesn't validate anything and imo isn't deserving a stand alone thread.

When people post thread title like yours, its misleading because when i click to come in this thread i am expecting a link to something legitimate from someone with sources or a respected media member. Not random blog person makes fantasy trade proposals just like the 8000 existing threads on HFboards.

I support what 40oz and Replacement said about these spam HFpartner threads. Sorry if you don't like it.

That wasn't the problem, the issue was that the 2nd part of my post was nothing more than a personal attack. I deleted the comment for that reason, and because frankly I was embarrassed that sunk that low.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
That wasn't the problem, the issue was that the 2nd part of my post was nothing more than a personal attack. I deleted the comment for that reason, and because frankly I was embarrassed that sunk that low.

I just saw the edited version of your post so my bad. Still don't like these random blog postings not getting merged with the appropriate thread.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Maybe I should post my blog and my top 50 trades that will happen in the next 20 years on all of the forums in HFBoards. I mean, my opinion matters more than the proposal/rumor threads that are posted on HFBoards. Right? :sarcasm:

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Fixed to Ruin and Paralyzer, if you did have your own "fancy" website and did spend a few evenings compiling a list of 24 potential trades that you wanted feedback on, and if you were a "respected media member", would you want to post your link on Page 8 of a random proposal/rumours thread or would you want to create a separate link for your efforts?

That's like telling LMHF#1 that his game recaps belong in the GDT not their own thread. Or that BlueBullet's draft rankings belong in the generic Draft thread. When people go above and beyond, I think it is deserving of its own thread. Otherwise, let's just have 3 running threads on here: Game Stuff, Prospect Stuff and Miscellaneous Stuff and everybody can post within 1 of the 3 categories. Maybe that would be more to your liking?

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
What a joke. Proof that you dont need even a 100 IQ to have a blog.

why would you? blogs are suppose to be "open access" usage. if someone wants to pay for a domain and claim they know trash about an industry - go for it. no one needs to read it or search it out.

hell, most media is borderline blogger with how sloppy / click starved journalism is these days (aka Bruce Garrioch and Larry Brooks have been Tiger Beat level trash for ages).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad