Blister question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Hey guys.

I've had these skates since October, and ever since I've had them, they've caused nasty blisters on both of my heels. The skates are great - worn and fit perfect (which can be a chore for girls), but the achelles protector jutts out at the back, causing lovely blisters on the back, inside of each heel when I skate for more than about 1.5 hours.

I've tried liquid bandages. I've tried just regular bandaids. I've tried liquid bandages + regular bandaids. I've tried all of those with and without socks. The bandaids just get moved as I skate by the small amount of friction my feet create in the skates. I've tried two pair but that was just uncomfortable. And I've tried letting them rest long enough to grow calluses, but the calluses rub off too (which if you've never had it happen, feels especially lovely).

Any advice?

Large_Farva*

Don't skate for more than 1.5 hours at one time. That should stop the blisters.

2padstack

May 22, 2005
Los Angeles
As an avid backpacker, i reccomend looking into moleskin or second skin bandages, they will prevent blisters a whole lot better than a regular band-aid

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
2padstack said:
As an avid backpacker, i reccomend looking into moleskin or second skin bandages, they will prevent blisters a whole lot better than a regular band-aid

Moleskin works great with my skates. I have the same problem if I go a month without skating, but have no trouble if I put Moleskin on that spot.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Kritter471 said:
Hey guys.

I've had these skates since October, and ever since I've had them, they've caused nasty blisters on both of my heels. The skates are great - worn and fit perfect (which can be a chore for girls), but the achelles protector jutts out at the back, causing lovely blisters on the back, inside of each heel when I skate for more than about 1.5 hours.

I've tried liquid bandages. I've tried just regular bandaids. I've tried liquid bandages + regular bandaids. I've tried all of those with and without socks. The bandaids just get moved as I skate by the small amount of friction my feet create in the skates. I've tried two pair but that was just uncomfortable. And I've tried letting them rest long enough to grow calluses, but the calluses rub off too (which if you've never had it happen, feels especially lovely).

Any advice?
I have had the EXACT same problem and am now an expert on this. There are two solutions
a) Buy a stick of solid mens antiperspirant and a few pairs of polypropylene liner socks (should feel silky and are available at stores like running free and Coast Mountain sports). Apply the anti perspirant so the bottom and the inside of your foot, all around the blister area. Wear the socks. No sweat + slippery thin running socks = no friction.
b) If plan a doesn't work. Buy industrial strength duct tape (must appear to be kind of stringy). Apply one horizontal strip to the affected area. Apply another overlapping vertical strip. Then follow the steps in part a (apply antiperspirant to areas not covered by tape after tape is on).
Plan a is quick and painless. Plan b works for brutal cases where you basically get instant blisters. It kind of sucks as your feet will have duct tape residue on them all the time but it will let you skate pain free if plan a doesn't work. Are your skates Nike by any chance?

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Thanks guys.

Davey - My skates are old CCM 452 Tacks.

I've heard the term moleskin before, but I'm not sure what exactly it is, and it sounds promising. Anyone care to elaborate?

And the socks/deoderant combination sounds promising. Thanks again.

2padstack

May 22, 2005
Los Angeles
Moleskin is like a large bandage that is sticky on one side, and has a smoth outside. it can be used over a band aid or you can buy pre-made strips. Try a drug store (rite aid, savon) in their foot department (normally one aisle) and they should have some moleskin bandages. They normally come in large squares that you cut circles out of to cover your band aid or just the blister area. Make sure to cut a circle or the rubbing will catch and edge of the moleskin and tear it off. I hope this helps.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
2padstack said:
Moleskin is like a large bandage that is sticky on one side, and has a smoth outside. it can be used over a band aid or you can buy pre-made strips. Try a drug store (rite aid, savon) in their foot department (normally one aisle) and they should have some moleskin bandages. They normally come in large squares that you cut circles out of to cover your band aid or just the blister area. Make sure to cut a circle or the rubbing will catch and edge of the moleskin and tear it off. I hope this helps.
That, and as you said second skin work amazing.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Fedz said:
That, and as you said second skin work amazing.

Second skin worked very well for me. I had a huge blister on my big toe and as soon as I used it the blister went away and I have not had a problem since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad