Bleacher Report 10 Biggest Draft Busts

Parch

Jul 31, 2005
That's also an indication just how much the NHL Draft is a crap shoot. No guarantees that a first round pick will amount to anything.

NHL should raise the draft age by a year.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bonsignore belongs there.

As does Mr Open net gaffe.

These lists are never accurate.

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013
Many guys played 300 games, or close to it.

Hell, Montoya is still playing. I guess he could be considered a bust considering where he was picked, but his numbers aren't terrible considering the teams he's played for. Definitely better picks out there.

Brian Lee anybody?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yakopov may have same type of career.

Yakupov is looking like he's etching dangerously close to the bust territory. He's been in the league for 3 years and have not really improved to any significant degree. I think if he does not put it together next season, we may never see him in the NHL again a la Filatov.

Stat Guy

Aug 30, 2014
Well, Yakupov is a legit NHLer in what is proving to be a very weak draft year. Albeit his skills are very raw, but he will have a career, and with proper coaching and tutelage he can still turn it around like many before him.

Dipietro wasn't a bust. I considered him to be a Top-10 NHL starting goalie for 3 years leading up to his injury.

#1 Bust for me will always be Scott Scisson.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1990e.html

One of the Deepest drafts in NHL history and the Oilers walked away with NO PLAYERS ever having played a single game.

Is he really a legit NHLer?

Just what has he shown to be even average at? This is year 3, and there is not one area of his game that is NHL caliber.

Stat Guy

Aug 30, 2014
Bonsignore belongs there.

As does Mr Open net gaffe.

These lists are never accurate.

Meh...Bonsignore is well know because he hits close to home. But when you look at the players drafted after him, none jump out as a "What were we thinking? Why didn't we draft him instead?" type.

Steve Kelly on the other hand....

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Is he really a legit NHLer?

Just what has he shown to be even average at? This is year 3, and there is not one area of his game that is NHL caliber.

Yakupov has played 143 games which is less than 2 full seasons worth. He is obviously tracking very badly and probably needs to be traded.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yakupov is looking like he's etching dangerously close to the bust territory. He's been in the league for 3 years and have not really improved to any significant degree. I think if he does not put it together next season, we may never see him in the NHL again a la Filatov.

With the state of the ruble, Yakupov may not have the KHL option that Filatov had if that arises for whatever reason.

He hasn't put up the numbers many have expected but he's hardly teetering on bust territory at this point.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
With the state of the ruble, Yakupov may not have the KHL option that Filatov had if that arises for whatever reason.

He hasn't put up the numbers many have expected but he's hardly teetering on bust territory at this point.

I honestly do not understand why with all his struggles they don't they send him to the AHL for a few weeks--if for no other reason than play a lot of hockey and get back his confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad