Bleacher Report 10 Biggest Draft Busts

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
I was just flipping through B/R 10 biggest draft busts since 2000 this morning and a strange trend emerged: Out of the ten players on the list (none drafted by the Oil), three of them were eventually signed by the Oilers in the last few years. These included Cam Barker (3rd overall), Benoit Pouliot (4th overall), and Gilbert Brule (6th overall).

Between their professional and amateur scouts, it appears there is a trend developing:
- Amateur scouts botch picks past the first round (more resource value placed on first round picks)
-All first rounders rushed into the big show
-Pro scouts follow this same idea - regardless of performance a first round pick carries more weight than their pro performance

Basically the logic is if they had potential before getting drafted and busted in the big show, the Oilers will find the magic again in these guys. It's amazing the arrogance of thinking they can take these players and make them serviceable, considering they don't have a single example of this happening.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't like the list. Can a guy really be considered a bust if his career is derailed by injuries like DP's? I'm also not sure how Pouliot can be listed ahead of guys who flat out never made an NHL career like Filatov, Hamill, etc.

Just my opinion I guess.

Barker should be number 1.The guy had one season as an effective NHL'er, and was touted as the next superstar defenseman.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
NHL teams AND fans overrate draft pedigree. Ooooh look... he's a first rounder and not at results and progression.

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
No doubt it's a lazy list, but brought my attention to the fact that they sign so many busted high draft picks. I thought Brule and Barker were the only ones, but Colton Teubert was a relatively high pick they acquired that contributed nothing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No doubt it's a lazy list, but brought my attention to the fact that they sign so many busted high draft picks. I thought Brule and Barker were the only ones, but Colton Teubert was a relatively high pick they acquired that contributed nothing.

Yeah for sure, I don't know that I see Pouliot as a traditional bust, he's a bust for position taken, but he's still an NHL player.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Pouliot is a fine player, i guess his offense is underwhelming for a 4th overall but he's far from a bust.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
There are numerous 4th overall picks that have been less effective then Pouliot. Hickey, Brendl, Volchov are just a few. Brule or Barker shouldn't be on that list either since there are numerous players drafted in the top 6 that had zero NHL career.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Really surprised not to see Daigle on the list. He was similar to Dipiertro really, good start of their career but completely feel of the tracks by the time they were 22.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
NHL teams AND fans overrate draft pedigree. Ooooh look... he's a first rounder and not at results and progression.

Yeah the idea that draft pedigree holds ANY value is odd and quite silly. The second the draft is over it's completely pointless.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Really surprised not to see Daigle on the list. He was similar to Dipiertro really, good start of their career but completely feel of the tracks by the time they were 22.

It's only top busts from 2000 and later.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
How can any legitimate list of NHL draft busts not include Alexandre Daigle? When somebody mentions draft busts to me it's his picture that comes to mind. Bleacher Report needs to focus on sports they actually know something about.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
"Draft Pedigree"

hs-lowe.jpg

If you've been around a while, it was one of those infamous Oilers GM catch phrases.

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
Daigle had a decent little late career resurgence in Minnesota. Takes a two years off and leads Minnesota in scoring in 03-04.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Ricky the goalie for life had a body made of egg shells.
Concussions, bad hips, bad knees.
When healthy, he was spectacular to watch.
He was the real deal.

He does not belong on this list

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam

How can any legitimate list of NHL draft busts not include Alexandre Daigle? When somebody mentions draft busts to me it's his picture that comes to mind. Bleacher Report needs to focus on sports they actually know something about.

When the list is "top draft busts since 2000" and Daigle was drafted in 1993 it's pretty easy to see why he wasn't included.

Helps if you actually, y'know, read the article.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Well, Yakupov is a legit NHLer in what is proving to be a very weak draft year. Albeit his skills are very raw, but he will have a career, and with proper coaching and tutelage he can still turn it around like many before him.

Dipietro wasn't a bust. I considered him to be a Top-10 NHL starting goalie for 3 years leading up to his injury.

#1 Bust for me will always be Scott Scisson.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1990e.html

One of the Deepest drafts in NHL history and the Oilers walked away with NO PLAYERS ever having played a single game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad