Confirmed with Link: Blashill hired as assistant in Tampa

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
6mkvqe.jpg

Archive photo of Blashill teaching his powerplay setup.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Lol some people hate Blash as unreasonably as I hate Holland. It feels good to have a scape goat. Circumstances never allowed us to even see what kind of head coach he could be. His router's were Holland's left over trash.

He joined an exclusive club coaching one of the most talentless rosters in NHL history. Certainly maybe even the worst D ever assembled.

Wishing him the best of luck and a nice adjustment to a well running machine.

I doubt a single player or front office member has a bad thing to say even behind closed doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gniwder and Bench

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Honestly great for him.

He's not an amazing coach or anything but he does have a very good hockey mind. I've always thought he COULD be a good coach one day but would need a humbling stint away from the HC job for a while.

This is as good of a step as he could reasonably hope for. I bet he gets another HC job at some point, for better or worse.

Reactions: Martinez

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I honestly loathed Blashill by the end but I really do want him to succeed. It’ll be interesting to see if it really was our roster or if he just isn’t good at this level

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
What we know is this: Lalonde was in charge of the Tampa PK which was great. He mimicked the San Jose Sharks PK run by Boughner.

If Blashill is put in Lalonde's old spot then I would bet that Tampa's penalty kill, which has been above league average since Lalonde joined, will dip to league average or lower.

Tampa will win games by the strength of their roster for sure. But I still stick to the belief that a good coach can take a team and make them 10% better, but a bad coach can make that same team 30% worse.

I don't think Blashill is a great head coach, and I'm certain there are worse guys out there than him, but not many. What I do think is that Blashill is a below average headcoach that got below the expected results out of his Detroit rosters. I think the reason for that is either because he's a terrible strategist and x's and o's guy. Or because he's unable to get players to buy into his system because he's a poor leader and communicator.
w/o McDon their PK is gonna take a massive hit. then add the Blash effect.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Blashill probably fits as an assistant. The guy just doesn’t have the charisma to head a bench, though. He always came off so bland. I don’t know how a guy like Blashill ever rallied the troops or got guys to buy-in with him as a leader. Always struck me as a guy who knows how to act like a head coach, but it doesn’t come natural to him. Like he was trying to be something he wasn’t.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I honestly loathed Blashill by the end but I really do want him to succeed. It’ll be interesting to see if it really was our roster or if he just isn’t good at this level

It was always our roster. He went to the playoffs with Top3 core (Pavel + Zeta + Kronner) still on the team. And had same result as Babcock. Loss for Tampa at 1st round.

Didn't went to playoffs after Datsyuk left, but pretty much nobody would have done it without adding same level or superior talent.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It was always our roster. He went to the playoffs with Top3 core (Pavel + Zeta + Kronner) still on the team. And had same result as Babcock. Loss for Tampa at 1st round.

Didn't went to playoffs after Datsyuk left, but pretty much nobody would have done it without adding same level or superior talent.

his first year here was actually always one of the reasons i've never bought all that "it's just a bad roster" talk to be honest

when Babcock left there was all sorts of talk about how a bunch of the vets on the team wanted him gone so the team should have gotten a boost out any Coaching change from that, and on top of that the Wings actually had a better roster Blashill's first year here than they did Babcock's last year here as well(the main change being that they added Larkin and Green in exchange for ~30 games of Franzen)

what did the team do? get worse and go from 100 points to 93 and a +14 goal differential to a -13 one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad