Confirmed with Link: Blashill hired as assistant in Tampa

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He's reportedly buddies with Cooper and drew a lot of comparisons to him in terms of systems/style/etc., so it makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He's reportedly buddies with Cooper and drew a lot of comparisons to him in terms of systems/style/etc., so it makes a lot of sense.

I don't think we need to say reportedly buddies anymore. Blashill would outwardly speak about it in press conferences when the Wings and Tampa played. He would talk about golf and who buys dinner etc.

They are good friends cut from the same cloth. As is Lalonde.

I'm sure Cooper had promised Blashill the assistant job if he couldn't find a head coaching gig elsewhere.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Best of luck to him. I hope he does well and gets another head coaching gig down the line. I'd like to see what he can do with a competitive roster one day. For all his years in Detroit, he's still an unknown in a way.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That's what I came here to say. I don't think this is a good move for Tampa.

This is rhetorical, so don't feel the need to respond. When Tampa looks largely the same and continues to roll along winning games and being a top team in the league, what will your opinion be? Will it be that the players are excelling despite of him? Almost as if to say that the coach is extremely insignificant and the roster itself determines the success of the team... Or will your tune on Blashill change?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 18-37-21 Speculation - Next Head Coach.png

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 18-36-32 Speculation - Next Head Coach.png

And the prediction comes to alive. I wish the lottery numbers were this easy to predict.

Reactions: Gniwder and Realgud

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Curious what he is going to be in charge of for them? I'd probably go this route if I was him too, honestly. Was more than ready for a new coach, but good luck to him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This is rhetorical, so don't feel the need to respond. When Tampa looks largely the same and continues to roll along winning games and being a top team in the league, what will your opinion be? Will it be that the players are excelling despite of him? Almost as if to say that the coach is extremely insignificant and the roster itself determines the success of the team... Or will your tune on Blashill change?

What we know is this: Lalonde was in charge of the Tampa PK which was great. He mimicked the San Jose Sharks PK run by Boughner.

If Blashill is put in Lalonde's old spot then I would bet that Tampa's penalty kill, which has been above league average since Lalonde joined, will dip to league average or lower.

Tampa will win games by the strength of their roster for sure. But I still stick to the belief that a good coach can take a team and make them 10% better, but a bad coach can make that same team 30% worse.

I don't think Blashill is a great head coach, and I'm certain there are worse guys out there than him, but not many. What I do think is that Blashill is a below average headcoach that got below the expected results out of his Detroit rosters. I think the reason for that is either because he's a terrible strategist and x's and o's guy. Or because he's unable to get players to buy into his system because he's a poor leader and communicator.

Last edited:

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
What we know is this: Lalonde was in charge of the Tampa PK which was great. He mimicked the San Jose Sharks PK run by Boughner.

If Blashill is put in Lalonde's old spot then I would bet that Tampa's penalty kill, which has been above league average since Lalonde joined, will dip to league average or lower.

Tampa will win games by the strength of their roster for sure. But I still stick to the belief that a good coach can take a team and make them 10% better, but a bad coach can make that same team 30% worse.

I don't think Blashill is a great head coach, and I'm certain there are worse guys out there than him, but not many. What I do think is that Blashill is a below average headcoach that got below the expected results out of his Detroit rosters I think the reason for that is either because he's a terrible strategist and x's and o's guy. Or because he's unable to get players to buy into his system because he's a poor leader and communicator.

Same reason why Gretzky lasted less than two years behind a bench. He’s a terrible communicator (thanks TNT) unable to get players to buy into his beliefs and is on his own island. Have had many great discussions with an ex NHLer about Gretzky and his coaching comparisons to Blashill and it showed when he was on TNT.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I don't think Blashill is a great head coach, and I'm certain there are worse guys out there than him, but not many. What I do think is that Blashill is a below average headcoach that got below the expected results out of his Detroit rosters I think the reason for that is either because he's a terrible strategist and x's and o's guy. Or because he's unable to get players to buy into his system because he's a poor leader and communicator.
I don't get the Blash hate, he's a decent coach that got put in a bad situation. There were definitely questionable decisions like his propensity to start with slow skaters in OT (Gagner for example, lol) and pulling the goalie while down by 5 goals or whatever.

I still maintain that Blash was just too soft and too nice. Zadina should've been benched for trying the same stupid play over and over, and Erne should've been benched for being useless. There we agree that he had some "buy in" issues, because he wasn't tough enough to bench players for more than one or two games. He was not getting through and was unable to fix major issues with certain players.

Blash will coach whatever system Cooper wants for PK or whatever. He'll be fine. I think that's actually the role he's best suited for, assistant NHL coach. He can be the good cop.

His career no longer impacts this team. Best of luck to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad