blash media conference 1pm today

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't see the purpose of a coach conference. I can't really see the coach saying anything in the current moment that would move the dial. I wonder what it was about. When the team ices some talent then the coach will be relevant.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't see the purpose of a coach conference. I can't really see the coach saying anything in the current moment that would move the dial. I wonder what it was about. When the team ices some talent then the coach will be relevant.

Press conference = stories in the news.
Not much more reason than that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
no puppies were hurt in the making of this pressconference

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I just came across this, but have a really hard time listening to (Blash, Art Regner, HSJ) etc. for more than 30 seconds...

Can anyone please summarize?

from the Wings YT channel: Blash conf. 12-28-20

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Jeff says all the right things. Hopefully he can get these guys to play for him.

If we see more low effort outings from the team, he's gone before the season ends. Not entirely his fault but that's the reality.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Jeff says all the right things. Hopefully he can get these guys to play for him.

If we see more low effort outings from the team, he's gone before the season ends. Not entirely his fault but that's the reality.
so basically more Blash fluff (even if he means it). at least he's saying the right things, better than the alternative. It's a 3.5 month season, he's gone by May regardless is my guess.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
so basically more Blash fluff (even if he means it). at least he's saying the right things, better than the alternative. It's a 3.5 month season, he's gone by May regardless is my guess.
I'm still hoping for Lane Lambert after the season is over.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm still hoping for Lane Lambert after the season is over.

Gerard Gallant was Yzerman's best friend on those Wings teams before we started winning cups. So I wouldn't be surprised if Gallant is the hire once we get a halfway talented roster.

I don't think Yzerman wants us to be good too soon but we do need to see effort on the ice.

Reactions: Gniwder

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Gerard Gallant was Yzerman's best friend on those Wings teams before we started winning cups. So I wouldn't be surprised if Gallant is the hire once we get a halfway talented roster.

I don't think Yzerman wants us to be good too soon but we do need to see effort on the ice.
I wouldn't be too worried about "being good too soon", the roster will determine much of that. In '21-'22 I wanna see us win as many games (or more) than we lose. Cup teams learn how to win in the regular season & then the playoffs, it takes time, so the earlier we get a jump start on the winning ways, the better. Since the '21 draft is likely a top5 pick, that only leaves next season (21-22 for draft lottery luck), but we can't just flip a switch. Fundamentals of winning, playing properly (see Larkin/Bertuzzi etc) need to be instilled.

Mo's arrival will change the dynamic of this team...should be a .500% or better team next season (21-22). Ray, Joe, Linds & Ras etc. will help.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I wouldn't be too worried about "being good too soon", the roster will determine much of that. In '21-'22 I wanna see us win as many games (or more) than we lose. Cup teams learn how to win in the regular season & then the playoffs, it takes time, so the earlier we get a jump start on the winning ways, the better. Since the '21 draft is likely a top5 pick, that only leaves next season (21-22 for draft lottery luck), but we can't just flip a switch. Fundamentals of winning, playing properly (see Larkin/Bertuzzi etc) need to be instilled.

Mo's arrival will change the dynamic of this team...should be a .500% or better team next season (21-22). Ray, Joe, Linds & Ras etc. will help.
Yeah...this is more of what I want to see from our next coach. Solid fundamentals of winning, which is what I think Lambert brings to the table. He's always been a solid team-defense kind of coach that isn't afraid to let the offense flex its muscle. I love Gallant, but I think he caught lightning in a bottle with Vegas and the situation was just the right one at the right time for him. I think he's probably a good coach, but not (for me) the right coach to bring the Wings into the next phase of solidifying the franchise for the future. Of course, Lambert could just be a great assistant and not work out well as a head coach. But I think his track record, so far, is pretty solid and he has been patient in not jumping at head coaching opportunities.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah...this is more of what I want to see from our next coach. Solid fundamentals of winning, which is what I think Lambert brings to the table. He's always been a solid team-defense kind of coach that isn't afraid to let the offense flex its muscle. I love Gallant, but I think he caught lightning in a bottle with Vegas and the situation was just the right one at the right time for him. I think he's probably a good coach, but not (for me) the right coach to bring the Wings into the next phase of solidifying the franchise for the future. Of course, Lambert could just be a great assistant and not work out well as a head coach. But I think his track record, so far, is pretty solid and he has been patient in not jumping at head coaching opportunities.

Rumor on these boards is that Gallant chafed when people in management were touting analytics to make lineup decisions. I'm not sure if there's more to the story. Also I don't know if I'm Gallant and want to work for Detroit. It's an organization that's going to be in an uphill climb. We're in phase 1 of a rebuild. Even if Gallant gets us above .500 or even to the playoffs, he'd probably just be the transitional coach before we get the guy to push us over the edge into contender status.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Rumor on these boards is that Gallant chafed when people in management were touting analytics to make lineup decisions. I'm not sure if there's more to the story. Also I don't know if I'm Gallant and want to work for Detroit. It's an organization that's going to be in an uphill climb. We're in phase 1 of a rebuild. Even if Gallant gets us above .500 or even to the playoffs, he'd probably just be the transitional coach before we get the guy to push us over the edge into contender status.
Totally agree. I think Gallant is a guy who could possibly get you through a transitional stretch when your team/franchise doesn't have an identity or has lost it somewhere along the way. He's really good about pulling guys together for a season or two, but doesn't seem to have much staying power and tends to lose the players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Rumor on these boards is that Gallant chafed when people in management were touting analytics to make lineup decisions. I'm not sure if there's more to the story.

On that time it did look, that Florida idiot management was totally lost with their analytics. They thought somebody like Jakub Kindl would be a great player (like he did look good on advanced data).

If Gallant was against those "moronic analytics", I nothing but respect him more than ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
On that time it did look, that Florida was totally lost with their analytics. They thought Jakub Kindl is a great player (like he did look good on advanced data).

If Gallant was against those "moronic analytics", I nothing but respect him more than ever.

Dale Tallon, George McPhee and Kelly McCrimmon are some of the more respected front office guys in the business. If he had issues with them, there are some problems. I like Gallant, I prefer Lambert if we are hiring a guy this off-season, another guy with super close connections to Yzerman.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On that time it did look, that Florida idiot management was totally lost with their analytics. They thought somebody like Jakub Kindl would be a great player (like he did look good on advanced data).

But did they think he was as good as Stralman? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Reddwit

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Dale Tallon, George McPhee and Kelly McCrimmon are some of the more respected front office guys in the business. If he had issues with them, there are some problems. I like Gallant, I prefer Lambert if we are hiring a guy this off-season, another guy with super close connections to Yzerman.

Gallant has some of the same issues that Montgomery does/did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad