Blake Wheeler vs Taylor Hall

Wheeler or Hall?

• Wheeler

• Hall

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
I just can't see Wheeler on NJ putting up the numbers Hall put up last year.

Voted Hall

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
I just can't see Wheeler on NJ putting up the numbers Hall put up last year.

Voted Hall
Your probably right about Wheeler not putting up those #s in NJ. He has a better defensive game than hall I think though (and he's big) Great locker room guy too. (Not that hall isn't). That kind of pushes the needle toward Wheeler for me.

Reactions: Flamesss

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hall is probably slightly more impactful and more of a driver at Even Strength while Wheeler is one of the best half wall guys on the PP, but he is feeding Laine and an arsenal too. Close but probably Hall.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hall is 27 and Wheeler is 32. That's going to make a big difference in the next 2-4 years.

For that reason, I take Hall going forward, even though I prefer Wheeler as a player.
Wheeler hasn’t been close to Hall since 16-17 honestly. Hall is a bit overrated offensively but still better than wheeler offensively 5v5, combined with better play driving/defense and elite zone entry micro stats.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yea i saw. Good points. Age definitely a valid point although I believe Wheeler to be the better defensive player. No doubts about halls 5v5 generation.
Well I wouldn’t even call hall’s 5v5 offense absurd or anything more so that Wheeler has been a borderline first liner offensively at 5v5 since the start of last season

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Well I wouldn’t even call hall’s 5v5 offense absurd or anything more so that Wheeler has been a borderline first liner offensively at 5v5 since the start of last season
He scored 74 and 78 points prior to last season. That's definitely top line production.

Edit. A good chunk of those were on the PP though.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He scored 74 and 78 points prior to last season. That's definitely top line production.

Edit. A good chunk of those were on the PP though.
Yeah he’s in the 1.4-1.5 5v5 p1/60 range in that span which is more borderline first liner. For reference Point is over 2.2 in that category.

Edit: I’m referring to since the start of last year. Before that Wheeler was really damn good on both ends of the ice 5v5 but he’s taken a clear step back.

Edit2: and at his age I’m not convinced it’s a fluke.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
If I’m building a team for the Olympics, I’d take Wheeler over Hall in a heartbeat. Looking over the next couple years though, I think age could be an issue. Wheeler continued to improve long after he reached the age when most players start to drop off, but he’s starting to show so decline in his 5v5 play.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Wheeler hasn’t been close to Hall since 16-17 honestly. Hall is a bit overrated offensively but still better than wheeler offensively 5v5, combined with better play driving/defense and elite zone entry micro stats.
Since the beginning of the 2015/16 season
Hall 243 points in260 games
Wheeler 287 points in 279 games

The only players in the NHL with more points then Wheeler since the start of 2015/16 are McDavid, Crosby, Kane and Kucherov.

Viktor Vaughn

Apr 7, 2018
Yeah he’s in the 1.4-1.5 5v5 p1/60 range in that span which is more borderline first liner. For reference Point is over 2.2 in that category.

Edit: I’m referring to since the start of last year. Before that Wheeler was really damn good on both ends of the ice 5v5 but he’s taken a clear step back.

Edit2: and at his age I’m not convinced it’s a fluke.
So what makes you think that Wheeler’s PP production is not attributed to his elite IQ on the power play? It seems that people dismiss PP points without considering the fact their ability and skillset puts them a bar above the rest. The same arguments that are used for 5v5 can be given to the PP producers.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I love Wheeler but this poll is putting 2 amazing players with a 5 year age gap between them. Of course most people are going to take Hall. Kind of a slanted poll to begin with. If Hall and Wheeler were the same age, I'd take Wheeler in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 780il

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Wheeler is better right now. One of the most underrated winger star in the NHL. Sick passing for a big dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad