Proposal: Blake Wheeler to Pittsburgh

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I've been looking at capfriendly trying to figure out who the Jets will be trading Wheeler to. All signs are pointing to him being traded. Florida makes sense but I don't think they can afford him (financially or have the assets to acquire him).

To Winnipeg
Jason Zucker
1st or 2nd round pick

To Pittsburgh
Blake Wheeler

The Jets then buy out Zucker (or just keep him) and use the pick to help acquire a top 6 winger. If Penguin fans can way in on whether Wheeler meets their team needs.

I want to respond to a comment before it comes up, the Jets will get something from Wheeler. A GM will give up assets to get him. 100% guaranteed. Do I feel he is worth his contract? No. Will a GM be willing to give up assets to get him? 100%.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've been looking at capfriendly trying to figure out who the Jets will be trading Wheeler to. All signs are pointing to him being traded. Florida makes sense but I don't think they can afford him (financially or have the assets to acquire him).

To Winnipeg
Jason Zucker
1st or 2nd round pick

To Pittsburgh
Blake Wheeler

The Jets then buy out Zucker (or just keep him) and use the pick to help acquire a top 6 winger. If Penguin fans can way in on whether Wheeler meets their team needs.

I want to respond to a comment before it comes up, the Jets will get something from Wheeler. A GM will give up assets to get him. 100% guaranteed. Do I feel he is worth his contract? No. Will a GM be willing to give up assets to get him? 100%.

Unless WPG is retaining 40-50% on Wheeler, the fit doesn't work in Pittsburgh. They want to sign Rakell, which is why they may trade Zucker (or possibly even buy him out depending what their plans are for Rakell & others).

I think Wheeler would be a great fit in PIT but not at the money he's making. Taking Zucker back might have more merit if he had 2 years left on his deal, but Zucker has 1 year left vs. Wheeler at 2. PIT can't have Wheeler at > $8M next year with the flat cap.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

To Winnipeg
Jason Zucker
1st or 2nd round pick

To Pittsburgh
Blake Wheeler

Not a 1st round pick.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
A few notes on Wheelers:

*At this point in his career, he a good third line winger who can play the half-boards on the P.P unit
*Rumour has it that Maurice liked him so much that Wheeler started to make line-up decisions (which eventually started to create resentment in the locker-room). Maurice liked him because he is one of (if not the) best leader he's coached...(paraphrasing)
*he's slowed down over the past few years but last season showed glimpsed or his old self (taking control of games), before he got injured.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You'd need to retain some money on Wheeler for me to pull the trigger on this. I certainly would be happy to add him but not at $8.25 million.

I would do Zucker and a 1st for Wheeler at $6 million.

Reactions: north49er

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
Unless WPG is retaining 40-50% on Wheeler, the fit doesn't work in Pittsburgh. They want to sign Rakell, which is why they may trade Zucker (or possibly even buy him out depending what their plans are for Rakell & others).

I think Wheeler would be a great fit in PIT but not at the money he's making. Taking Zucker back might have more merit if he had 2 years left on his deal, but Zucker has 1 year left vs. Wheeler at 2. PIT can't have Wheeler at > $8M next year with the flat cap.
There is no scenario under which Jets would get 1st or 2nd round pick for Wheeler.Rebuilding teams have no use for him and no competitive team (with possible exception of LA) after addressing their more pressing needs has money to fit him under salary cap.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
There is no scenario under which Jets would get 1st or 2nd round pick for Wheeler.Rebuilding teams have no use for him and no competitive team (with possible exception of LA) after addressing their more pressing needs has money to fit him under salary cap.
I bet you they will. The Jets might end up retaining salary, but I fully expect them to get either or. Rumour is the Jets are expecting to trade him this off-season so we won't have to wait long.

Thank you for contribution

You'd need to retain some money on Wheeler for me to pull the trigger on this. I certainly would be happy to add him but not at $8.25 million.

It might look something like this.

Reactions: GreenLine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm a bit confused, what's the big deal with Wheeler at this point? He had 60 points in 65 games this year, with 40 of those coming at ES, after having 46 points in 50 games last year. I get he's very overpaid, but why is he viewed as such a negative asset?

It looks like his analytics fell off a map starting last year, but that production is nothing to scoff at.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm a bit confused, what's the big deal with Wheeler at this point? He had 60 points in 65 games this year, with 40 of those coming at ES, after having 46 points in 50 games last year. I get he's very overpaid, but why is he viewed as such a negative asset?

It looks like his analytics fell off a map starting last year, but that production is nothing to scoff at.

1. He has played a lot of the last few years with Scheifele, and together they do not play defense. Played much better away from him later in the year, but still a lot of very bad defense metrics.

2. Overpaid obviously.

3. Not a great leader, which doesn't really affect other teams but did affect the Jets. Works his ass off but not great with young players.

If the Jets retain he has value, but we'll see how much they retain. Didn't want him re-signed to this last contract but for all my criticism of him as a leader/his contract he gives it his all, even if he was consistently gassed being played 20+ minutes a night. And surprisingly still finds ways to put up points.

Reactions: hn777

Sebastien

May 1, 2022

Zucker isn't waiving for any Canadian teams

Reactions: Nowotny

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I didn't even touch on what the return could be, but the Penguins would love to use Zucker's $5.5M on an even better player. The issue is because of his injuries last year, his value is greatly diminished to the point I think he went from neutral trade value to outright negative trade value.

So if it was Zucker at the full $5.5M for Wheeler at $4.1M, I think the Penguins might just do that for a 1st rounder. They have a 2-3 year window and I think Wheeler is still productive enough, would be rejuvinated big time by that trade, and is exactly what PIT needs.

But this move alone doesn't move the needle quite enough if it means losing Rakell or Malkin, because they need to IMPROVE from last year. Adding Wheeler but losing both Zucker (who's good, just overpaid) + 1 of Malkin/Rakell, it would be too much of a lateral move versus just re-signing Rakell & Malkin and essentially running back the same roster as last year.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Zucker and a 1st for Wheeler at 50% is more likely.

Not only more likely, it's the only way it's even conceivable. Otherwise the math just doesn't work.

The question for WPG is, can they get an even better offer than the #21 pick for Wheeler @ 50%?

If not, then it's a good trade for them. If they can do better, they'll go in that direction without having to take a big contract like Zucker back.

Reactions: 66-30-33

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Zucker isn't waiving for any Canadian teams

I'm not sure I agree. Zucker needs to prove to the NHL (because he's in a contract year/impending UFA) that he can still be a productive 2nd line player. If he's not going to get that opportunity in PIT, and no other contender has the role or cap space for him, I think he would go to WPG where he could play a big role on the 2nd line with quality players.

Zucker is going to be a very motivated player next year and should be valuable to any team he goes to. It's only that PIT has other priorities (Malkin, Letang, Rakell, etc.), and that Zucker makes about $1.5M too much. But that's not an issue for teams who have that extra bit of cap space. And if WPG wasn't in the playoff hunt by the deadline, he could fetch a nice return with retention.

Reactions: Trade and Flair Hay

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Not only more likely, it's the only way it's even conceivable. Otherwise the math just doesn't work.

The question for WPG is, can they get an even better offer than the #21 pick for Wheeler @ 50%?

If not, then it's a good trade for them. If they can do better, they'll go in that direction without having to take a big contract like Zucker back.
To me getting that 1st back would be huge for Winnipeg

Taking a cap dump like Zucker or Hornqvist in FLA and retaining half 25-50% is probably what it would take to get a 1st back

Reactions: jmelm and north49er

Black N Gold

Feb 4, 2022

Bad Idea all the way around.. He is almost as old as Malkin, just as injury prone and not worth the 2 years left at his price tag...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad