Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Fair enough. But do we even know that is true? Or at least that was the main cause for him wanting out?
We don't, and unfortunately I think this idea that it was either Laine or Wheeler is driving A LOT of anti-Wheeler sentiment on these boards right now. There is a not-very-fine line between saying that Wheeler has been bad so far this season, and saying that Wheeler is the reason why the Jets haven't been a more successful team and will continue to be a losing team (and even wishing for injury), and some people are pole-vaulting over that line and taking off running.

So I'd really rather people stop pushing that narrative.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Maurice is worked up about it because between him sheif and wheeler is the reason our biggest star wanted out.

And without saying it the media is asking. Was keeping wheeler the better choice over laine? How do you force our biggest star out but your slacking on the back check?

There’s a lot more going on then the questions asked

Connor, Scheifele, Helle, and Ehlers are still with the Jets so the top stars are all still here and have signed lenghty contracts.. Are you taking about the 2nd line winger who had a good season a few years ago?

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
lota stupid posts about Wheels in this thread.

Since 2011-2012 he's the 7th best points producer in the league.

he's a legit first line allstar. the only RW with more points is Patrick Kane over the same period.

Night i Night out the guy gives 110% and has the on ice results.

if your post is "Blake wheeler is bad..."

It's pretty clear you don't know shit about hockey.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

he's a legit first line allstar. the only RW with more points is Patrick Kane over the same period.

Yes he was great from '11 onward, but just speaking on his play this year he has n0t looked good.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Bullshit. 11 points in 10 games and a team with a winning record? What else do you want?

For every gaff or mistake he's made I can point to an excellent play.
he will get points playing on a jets pp which has been lethal to start. so yes he's a great PP player. but at 5v5 hockey, notably, defensively he's looked like crap and is at the bottom of the Jets in-terms of getting out-shot, out-chanced and out-scored while on the ice. I have faith he will turn it around, but just think he hasn't looked good this year so far.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Fair enough. But do we even know that is true? Or at least that was the main cause for him wanting out?
I don't know that he didi want out. He wanted "Top Line". He didn't deserve it but he wanted it.
I think it was his agent playing hardball and the Jets said "OK FINE" the moment PLD was available. I think the trade DID hit Laine by surprise.

Why Laine wanted out doesn't concern me when so many want to stay.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
he will get points playing on a jets pp which has been lethal to start. so yes he's a great PP player. but at even-strength hockey, notably, defensively he's looked like crap and is at the bottom of the Jets in-terms of getting out-shot, out-chanced and out-scored while on the ice. I have faith he will turn it around, but just think he hasn't looked good this year so far.

short sample size vs what is now a decade of proven excellence.... and I don't know if you notice, but PPP are a big deal in the nhl. they even track it on fantasy!

Last year everyone said Wheeler was washed up when he had a slump...then he busted out of the slump and scored at a 30+ goal pace and point per game rate for the rest of the season.

This year he's winning, scoring, assisting...and it's the same old "Wheeler is old and can't play and no good 5vs5 again....if it looks like shit, and smells like shit, and is the same shit you had last year....

If Laine hadn't been a winy bitch this whole fabricated narrative doesn't exist.

I bet there's easy 30 other GMs who would gladly have the #2 scoring right winger in the league on their team.

Reactions: RAFS

None

Feb 22, 2012
It feels like a lot of legitimate criticism is getting lumped together with all of the hyperbole and drama around Laine. It's like the character and motive of fans and media alike are getting questioned and I think that's a little misdirected.

I understand Maurice getting upset and defending his captain. I think he's going to end up turning Wheeler into even more of a lightning rod by getting so defensive to pretty tame questions though.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
he will get points playing on a jets pp which has been lethal to start. so yes he's a great PP player. but at 5v5 hockey, notably, defensively he's looked like crap and is at the bottom of the Jets in-terms of getting out-shot, out-chanced and out-scored while on the ice. I have faith he will turn it around, but just think he hasn't looked good this year so far.

But don't you think its fair to point out his weaknesses and his strengths? Being elite on the PP is noteworthy. Its seems everyone (not you really mainly the media and other posters) is only dwelling on the negative.

If you critique a painting, is it fair to only point out the negative aspects and ignoring the positives that you do also see ?(and only keeping it to your self)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
short sample size vs what is now a decade of proven excellence.... and I don't know if you notice, but PPP are a big deal in the nhl. they even track it on fantasy!

Last year everyone said Wheeler was washed up when he had a slump...then he busted out of the slump and scored at a 30+ goal pace and point per game rate for the rest of the season.

This year he's winning, scoring, assisting...and it's the same old "Wheeler is old and can't play and no good 5vs5 again....if it looks like shit, and smells like shit, and is the same shit you had last year....

If Laine hadn't been a winy bitch this whole fabricated narrative doesn't exist.

I bet there's easy 30 other GMs who would gladly have the #2 scoring right winger in the league on their team.

again, im not saying he's finished. i said he's not looked good so far which i think a majority of people are feeling. Yes he's had a decade of strong play, but that's not really relevant on judging his play so far this season

yes he looks good on the PP. he likely always will b/c he's a talented passer surrounded with PPG players (Scheifele and Connor) and 95% of the time the Jets have the possession of the puck and it doesn't involve him going up and down the ice constantly or trading chances with the opposition.

When he starts turning it around and is driving play, setting up goals etc at 5v5 hockey like he does i'll be first to say he's starting to turn it around and is looking better.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But don't you think its fair to point out his weaknesses and his strengths? Being elite on the PP is noteworthy. Its seems everyone (not you really mainly the media and other posters) is only dwelling on the negative.

If you critique a painting, is it fair to only point out the negative aspects and ignoring the positives that you do also see ?(and only keeping it to your self)
i literally said he's a great PP player in that post quoted. so i am not sure what your beef is.

PP he's great
5v5 he's been not so great border line one of the worst fwds on the team stats wise

i don't think that is unfair criticism

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
i literally said he's a great PP player in that post quoted. so i am not sure what your beef is.

PP he's great
5v5 he's been not so great border line one of the worst fwds on the team stats wise

Re re-read what I said:

not you really mainly the media and other posters

I was mainly replying to when you said:

Yes he was great from '11 onward, but just speaking on his play this year he has n0t looked good.

No mention of his PP being good in this statement. You did later though only when pressed . That's my point. Media is only mentioned the negative it seems

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

Who cares what he did from 2011-12? Wayne Gretzky was once the greatest player in the NHL. Do you want Wayne on the Jets this season? What we are currently witnessing is Father Time catching up with an athlete.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Bullshit. 11 points in 10 games and a team with a winning record? What else do you want?

Strong 5v5 play that is equivalent to the fact that he is our captain and highest paid player?

His defensive game has not been good. I don't see how that can even be a discussion. What I want is for him to play better in that area or be put in a position where that doesn't hurt the team.

What I want from Maurice is consistency. Ehlers gets asked about a poor game and Maurice publicly acknowledges it. Ehlers has 12 points. Why is Wheeler exempt because he has 11?

Edit: It's disgusting how Wheeler gets fawned upon by his coach and Ehlers gets dismissed. Maurice has said in an interview how Ehlers getting less minutes is because he sheltered him from tough matchup so his performance shouldn't necessarily mean he should get more icetime. Is Maurice trying to piss off Ehlers so he wants out?

Last edited:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I’ve always been a fan of wheeler and even wasn’t against the contract. Dedicated his life to live here.

When a trade like laine happens and he’s the RW that was in his way he will be scrutinized a lot more. It’s going to happen. It’s warranted as well.

for all we know it’s sheif that didn’t went to play with him, and Chevy that didn’t want to pay laine 10 mil or could be something we all don’t know.

He’s the captain and the player sheif whines to play with so I understand why he is getting questioned. I have some questions myself

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Strong 5v5 play that is equivalent to the fact that he is our captain and highest paid player?

His defensive game has not been good. I don't see how that can even be a discussion. What I want is for him to play better in that area or be put in a position where that doesn't hurt the team.

What I want from Maurice is consistency. Ehlers gets asked about a poor game and Maurice publicly acknowledges it. Ehlers has 12 points. Why is Wheeler exempt because he has 11?
he's only above trevor lewis so far in 5v5 scoring efficiency (outside of the kids on the 4th line). he and kc are at the bottom in terms of getting out-shot/out-chanced/out-scored at 5v5..... obviously these 2 play together so some of KC's deficiencies bleed into Wheeler's on-ice stats and vice-versa. But idk how any1 - outside of the PP - can be enamored with Wheeler's play so far.

IMO he's looked off. idk if he's still playing into shape or game-speed or what it is. he claims he's not hurt so there's that. i am by no means writing him off only 10 games in (just commenting what he's done so far in 2021), and hopefully he turns it around. wheeler playing better bodes well for the jets success.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

If you are right, I sure hope Chevy is asking Wheeler to waive his no trade clause. I'll gladly drive Wheeler to the airport on the first plane out of town.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought Wheeler's interview was great. Reporters kept asking him if he thinks he sucks now and why Maurice gave him so little ice time, and he focused attention onto the team and the great camaraderie in the room.

None of the reporters will ask Connor or Morrissey why they suck.

Meanwhile, Maurice told everyone why he's going to say only positive things about Wheeler.

He's his team's captain, and in Maurice's opinion has been very effective in that role.

He's worked his butt off for the Jets.

He's committed himself to the Jets and the community.

He thinks it's ridiculous to judge a player after 10 games based on shot metrics in those games, especially if he's still producing some offense.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

PP he's great

Only half his points this year so far on the power play.....
see how you made up a narative with no actual facts?

Again

11 points in 10 games
Winning Record this year...
I see him drive play 5-5 and make plays in all zones....Is he perfect? No. Is any hockey player?

it's a bullshit narrative started by a bunch of people because of "fancy stats" and a need to whine about Laine.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I thought Wheeler's interview was great. Reporters kept asking him if he thinks he sucks now Rand why Maurice gave him so little ice time, and he focused attention onto the team and the great camaraderie in the room.

None of the reporters will ask Connor or Morrissey why they suck.

Meanwhile, Maurice told everyone why he's going to say only positive things about Wheeler.

He's his team's captain, and in Maurice's opinion has been very effective in that role.

He's worked his butt off for the Jets.

He's committed himself to the Jets and the community.

He thinks it's ridiculous to judge a player after 10 games based on shot metrics in those games, especially if he's still producing some offense.

Interestingly media is not asking if Helle sucks now. Or asking Wheeler why things are going great this year on the PP

Reactions: The Big M

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Wheeler was very solid last season playing not his natural position as a C and again very solid when playing with Scheifele at RW (esp if you compare the results to when Laine was playing there). He hasn't had the greatest start and father time catches up with everyone but I somehow doubt he has had that steep a dropoff in one off season. I think there is something else going on, he has had horrible PDO and it wouldn't surprise me if he is dealing with something.

Edit: Just watched the Wheeler interview from today... that was uncomfortable to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad