Blake Geoffrion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Just how good is this kid from Nashville? I played against him though he was much younger and you could tell he was good. I hear he's on the NTDP. Any scouting reports? Where is he looking to go for the 2006 draft? Is he college bound? Any and all info would be much appreciated.

PredsFan77*

I played with him too as a squirt, wasn't that great. That's my scouting report. ;)

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Assuming we can all agree that the CHL/OHL and NCAA generally contain different styles of hockey, from what I have seen of Geoffrion over the last two years he seems to be the prototypical OHL type of power forward. Big, tough, drops the gloves, powerful skating stride, good (not great) offensive tools and instincts. Makes much more happen off the cycle than off the rush or via the three-line passes that the U-17 team and so many colleges seem to love to use.

Frankly, I don't think he would be maximizing his development or exposure as the player he would be at the next level continuing with the NTDP and going on to college. IMO, he would be better off honing his pro-style power game in the OHL.

Funkymoses

Juan said:
Assuming we can all agree that the CHL/OHL and NCAA generally contain different styles of hockey, from what I have seen of Geoffrion over the last two years he seems to be the prototypical OHL type of power forward. Big, tough, drops the gloves, powerful skating stride, good (not great) offensive tools and instincts. Makes much more happen off the cycle than off the rush or via the three-line passes that the U-17 team and so many colleges seem to love to use.

Frankly, I don't think he would be maximizing his development or exposure as the player he would be at the next level continuing with the NTDP and going on to college. IMO, he would be better off honing his pro-style power game in the OHL.

blah blah blah blah.

From what I've heard, Geoffrion is probably going to Michigan, where his development will be stunted by a former NHL coach of the year.

(note the "probably"... no guarantees.)

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Juan said:

Agree completely and I am sure that Geoffrion has watched enough games in the new no hit NCAA to make him realize that his future is with the OHL.

As a further incentive, the Battalion drafted his younger brother and I am sure that they have sent the invitation out to both of them to participate in their upcoming rookie camp.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
haha, "boom boom" is doing well? he was on my younger brother's team, that was coached by my old coach, so i helped out a bit in practices. he was a great player, though it was a few years ago.

good to see someone from a "non-hockey" market has a shot of doing something :handclap:

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Funkymoses said:
blah blah blah blah.

From what I've heard, Geoffrion is probably going to Michigan, where his development will be stunted by a former NHL coach of the year.

(note the "probably"... no guarantees.)

That impresses me about as much as the 2001-02 Mississauga Ice Dogs, who were coached by former NHL coach of the year Don Cherry.

Seriously, who is the last power forward over 6 feet tall that graduated from Michigan and played in the NHL? That's not a rhetorical question, I will stand corrected if someone can think of a recent one. Of course, Michigan did wonders developing the offensive game of one Eric Nystrom, who had five fewer goals as a senior than he did as a freshman. What was that word you used again... "stunted"?

By the way, my sources tell me Geoffrion's going to Wisconsin - take it to the bank. At least that school can claim Heatley, though not much else.

Last edited:

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
nomorekids said:
haha, "boom boom" is doing well? he was on my younger brother's team, that was coached by my old coach, so i helped out a bit in practices. he was a great player, though it was a few years ago.

good to see someone from a "non-hockey" market has a shot of doing something :handclap:

Does it suprise you that hes doing so good considering his bloodlines? looking at his grandfather and great grandfather i would be suprised no matter where hes from that he wasnt doing somehting in hockey

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
kingpest19 said:
Does it suprise you that hes doing so good considering his bloodlines? looking at his grandfather and great grandfather i would be suprised no matter where hes from that he wasnt doing somehting in hockey

I'm suprised, to an extent. He spent a good bit of his formative years in Nashville where rink time and expert coaching are very, very hard to find (though it is immensely better now than it was 7 years ago). I'm sure there are dozens of potential talents that never develop aggressively enough in Nashville to even consider being an NHL draft pick. But if anybody could have succeeded in that environment, it's someone with the background support that Blake has.

Edit: What are the chances that Nashville nabs him in the '06 draft? He would be a huge hit (if he pans out in any way) and could be the start to putting hockey on the map.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
SmokeyClause said:
I'm suprised, to an extent. He spent a good bit of his formative years in Nashville where rink time and expert coaching are very, very hard to find (though it is immensely better). I'm sure there are dozens of potential talents that never develop aggressively enough do to this. But if anybody could have succeeded in that environment, it's someone with the background support that Blake has.

Exactly and if remember correctly boom booms boys played at a high level also. Just with his family he had far and away better coaching than any other kids dream about

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
kingpest19 said:
Exactly and if remember correctly boom booms boys played at a high level also. Just with his family he had far and away better coaching than any other kids dream about

Yeah, Blake played at the highest level of youth ice hockey in Nashville (it's not saying much, so did I back in the day), but he travelled a ton playing in various elite camps and tournaments. In that regard, he was able to get the experience and coaching that he wouldn't have been afforded had he stayed in Nashville.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
SmokeyClause said:
Yeah, Blake played at the highest level of youth ice hockey in Nashville (it's not saying much, so did I back in the day), but he travelled a ton playing in various elite camps and tournaments. In that regard, he was able to get the experience and coaching that he wouldn't have been afforded had he stayed in Nashville.

It wouldnt suprise to know that having his name and family background helped him out a bit but its going to be a hard name to live up to down the line. Thankfully its more of it being who is gradfather and great father are rather than his dad

PredsFan77*

His dad helped out with the team I was on when I played with him..I got a signed boom boom pic somewhere in my house...need to find it.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
kingpest19 said:
It wouldnt suprise to know that having his name and family background helped him out a bit but its going to be a hard name to live up to down the line. Thankfully its more of it being who is gradfather and great father are rather than his dad

Yeah, if he ended up in Montreal, that could be a problem in terms of pressure. Anywhere else and I don't think it'll be that big a deal.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
SmokeyClause said:
Yeah, if he ended up in Montreal, that could be a problem in terms of pressure. Anywhere else and I don't think it'll be that big a deal.

Very true but knowing montreal it wouldnt suprise me to see them pick him somewhere

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
They also have the Suters, Reinprecht, Rafalski, Granato. It's not the most storied college hockey program, but it's not THAT bad. It's certainly no Brampton ;)

Well, seeing as the Battalion has only been around for 7 years, let's make the following comparison instead: the number of NHL and AHL players that Stan Butler has coached in the CHL vs. the number of NHL and AHL players that Mike Eaves has coached in the NCAA.

Now here, I am being rhetorical.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Juan said:
By the way, my sources tell me Geoffrion's going to Wisconsin - take it to the bank. At least that school can claim Heatley, though not much else.

If Geoffrion wants to develop his overall game beyond just being a grinder, he would be making a mistake by going to Wisconsin.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Funkymoses said:
He should go to the OHL, where he will become the next Guy Lafleur.

I am not anti-college so I don't know if you meant that as a shot at me or not. I just think Wisconsin seems intent on playing a style that doesn't have much creativity or skill and seems to be more focused on positional hockey and playing a defensive system. For a kid trying to develop his overall ability for the pros, I would think he'd be more interested in playing for a team that seems to play a little different style than Wisconsin's.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PuckFan01 said:
I am not anti-college so I don't know if you meant that as a shot at me or not. I just think Wisconsin seems intent on playing a style that doesn't have much creativity or skill and seems to be more focused on positional hockey and playing a defensive system. For a kid trying to develop his overall ability for the pros, I would think he'd be more interested in playing for a team that seems to play a little different style than Wisconsin's.

I don't get that impression at all. Trust me, guys like Earl, Likens, Pavelski, etc aren't there to play a restrictive style. (although if they were, perhaps Wisconsin would have made the tournament.........)

milzie

Apr 20, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't get that impression at all. Trust me, guys like Earl, Likens, Pavelski, etc aren't there to play a restrictive style. (although if they were, perhaps Wisconsin would have made the tournament.........)

Duckfan01 is talking out of his arse. With Mike Eaves third recruiting class coming in, Wisconsin will open it up next year. Wisconsin only loses 3 goals and 2 assists from last years graduating class. They're adding Jack Skille, Tom Gorowsky and Ben Street this year...do the math. Also, the Badgers did make the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad