In Memoriam Blaine Lacher dead at 53

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Blaine Lacher, who spent parts of two seasons playing goalie for the Bruins, died Monday in Medicine Hat, Alberta. He was 53.
Lacher’s family said his death was unexpected, but no cause was given.
The Bruins issued a statement saying the organization is “deeply saddened by the passing of former goalie Blaine Lacher. We send our thoughts and condolences to his family, friends, and teammates.”
Lacher had a decorated career at Lake Superior State, where he helped lead the Lakers to an NCAA Division 1 championship in the 1993-94 season.
During that run, Lacher went 20-5-4 and led the nation in save percentage (.918) and goals against average (1.98). He had a memorable shutout streak of 375 minutes and 1 second.

Lacher gave up his final year of eligibility and signed with the Bruins as a free agent. He went 19-11-2 during his rookie season of 1994-95, but struggled in his second year, his final one in the NHL, going 3-5-2.

Following his time in Boston, he played two seasons in the IHL before retiring in 1996.

According to his obituary from the Cook-Southland Funeral Chapel, Lacher left one son, Quin.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
that rookie year was fun to watch, super sad, a year younger than I am, RIP
I totally get this. Same age as I am, and remember him coming out of left field and being like YOU GO BOY. Such a fun story while it lasted and made memories for me to cherish. Ahhh..youth and vigor. Rest in peace

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Oh wow, so sad. I remember watching him shut out the Sens in Ottawa in person, he was really good early in his Bruin career, RIP.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Before joining the Bruins Lacher led Lake Superior State to the NCAA title game against Maine, where holding a 2 goal lead in the third period he gave up a natural hat trick to, of all people, Jim Montgomery.

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan and Gordoff

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1706936904106.png

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I never met him but remember him well. I don't remember who the other goalie was at the time for the Bruins. IIRC, he was the #1.
His passing was too soon, but for some reason God takes most of the best people too soon. May he rest in peace.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad