Advice: Blade Pattern / Lie Help

n3gkiwi

Feb 11, 2013
So long time lurker, looking for any advice or suggestions regarding a blade pattern. Not exactly a beginner, been playing a while, and know majority of the patterns (I actually get my sticks from Base so I get a lot of options for patterns and lies).

Been playing with a Sakic pattern for a while (started with a lie 6). Have been getting a lot of heel wear. Went to a lie 5. Seemed to help a bit, but still that one spot of the heel always wears first (pics below after just one ice time - marked in red where it happens). I'm 5'10 and my stick goes to middle of my nose without skates, just below my lips with skates on (use to be an inch and a half longer!). I like longer sticks I guess (never had a problem with my hands, like the ability for take-aways, and to protect the puck. I play center/forward). I really have no problems passing or stick handling. Taking passes is fine, or one touching them, and can saucer fairly well. I liked the lie 6 cause I could still stick handle well in the corners and in tight, but I have noticed lie 5 is better for everything else. Not as much chicken winging I guess (but that could have been cause I cut my stick a bit too).

My main problem is shooting. Never been much of one. It's not horrible but it ain't great. I'm getting to the point where I need to start shooting it more (teammates even yell at me). While I have improved my wrist (more of a snap shot really), I have a tendency to shot it high and wide (especially when I shot right, I'm a leftie). It's gotten harder as I'm getting more flex into it but occasionally I'll even wobble some quick shots (they're still fairly hard even when I do). Pucks seems to fly off at an angle instead of a horizontal saucer sometimes. I only really use quick wrist snappers as it's more suited towards my game. Maybe I should focus on a blade more for this type of shot, but I don't know which one would work.

What should I do next? Should I just go to a lie 4 (base makes one)? I do like to stick handle to the side, but I also bring it in close when manoeuvring. Perhaps the rocker on the Sakic helps me do this? Is this why my heel is wearing? Or do I need a lower lie if I want a longer stick? But I also don't want a huge triangle that guys can attack due to my low lie and long stick. Should I just change the pattern? Cut the stick and just get use to it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to people to know that I have done some research into this (actually quite a bit). Thanks for any help.

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

Jarick

Doing Nothing
When you shoot, do you pull the puck closer to the body or fire from your stickhandling position further away?

If you can pull the puck in tighter, you can get more power on the shot, and that works well with the Sakic or P14 or E28 curves (see this discussion).

If you'd like to shoot from further out, you could try a lower lie heel curve, like a P106 or a Drury from Base with a lower like (I have a 4.75 lie Drury from Base it's pretty good).

Also don't worry about some tape wear at the heel, you're going to get more there almost all the time unless you're using a low lie blade with a flat bottom (like a Forsberg).

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Agreed with Jarick, that tape wear in the picture doesn't indicate anything.

n3gkiwi

Feb 11, 2013
Pretty much the answer I was looking for. I have been working on the pull-in shoot technique. It's been getting better. I find if I only taping half of my blade (just the toe, and not the heel) helps get the puck in the right spot. My only concern is considering the wear I get on my heel when I fully tape the stick, would taping only half ruin my heel / cause it to break down quicker there? Ice hockey, not roller hockey...

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I used to play with a Bauer PM9 which is a 5 lie. I would get tape wear at the heel like you do and eventual heel damage. I tried adjusting my shooting with the puck closer to me but it felt unnatural and I had less control over my shot precision. And I didn't want to shorten my stick to force the issue any more since it was already short enough coming below my chin when wearing my skates, and it felt good for puck handling. So I tried the same curve in a 4 lie which BASE offers as the BM09. Now I get pretty even tape wear everywhere and I'm not destroying the heel of the stick anymore. And my shots have improved immensely. That's just my own experience and the 4 lie seems to match my body mechanics. I know that tape wear is not the be all end all judge of proper lie and I didn't really expect to see much difference when I went to a lower lie, but it seems to have worked for me. But post-game might not be the best time to check the tape wear since it can wear just from dragging the heel on the ice as you skate forward. Going to a stick and puck session and just shooting hundreds of slap shots would be a better context for checking the tape wear.
Just my 2 cents worth. Well make that 5 cents since our penny has been taken out of circulation. :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad