Blackouts!!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Ok, so I'm up here in Page and I was all excited to start following the team on a nightly basis then boom. Blackouts!! Are you kidding me? So if I'm watching the package I'm still blacked out all the way up here. This is your typical NHL.

We have some yahoo cable bundle crap in my condo which doesn't give us Fox Sports AZ or Altitude, which is the second story. I can and did however buy the package but the Coyotes and Av games are both blacked out.

So onto step two. Bought Gamecentre. Same crap though. So I can watch all the Leafs I want but I can't watch the so-called local team? That's just dumb.

Fear not though and if anyone else has a similar problem, message me. I became internet savvy and figured out how to set my computers, iPads, etc, up to bypass local DNS.

Point being in all this, the NHL, teams like the Coyotes, Canes, Bolts, etc, who are trying to grow their base, are straight getting in their own way. I was all excited to follow this team and almost gave up last week and started flipping coins on if I'd follow Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton instead cause I could actually watch the games. Good thing I figured it out cause I already bought a hat. :yo:

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Strange. I bought gamecenter and I live in Flag, but have been able to watch all the games so far this year. Strange!

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Welcome aboard.

Same problem here and I'm in a completely different state which doesn't make sense to me at all. Apparently Utah is considered Coyotes television territory so they get blacked out for me.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Welcome aboard.

Same problem here and I'm in a completely different state which doesn't make sense to me at all. Apparently Utah is considered Coyotes television territory so they get blacked out for me.

That is my local channels which makes no sense for this place. Do you have the same problem with Avs games? My whole thing was with all the Leafs games starting so early here, I'd like to follow a team I could watch normal hours and go to some games periodically. I did however figure out a way like I said to change my iPads and router in the house to allow it to work. A night like tonight is a perfect example. Two late games and both were blacked out and to be frank the nearest sheet of ice is probably in Vegas.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I get altitude and Avs games aren't blacked out for me. I don't get FSAZ and Yotes games are blacked out for me. It pisses me off to no end.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I've always associated these rules with Wirtz / Ballard-style evil ownership. What's the point? To encourage people to go to games? Maybe makes sense in the once-a-week, super-popular NFL but actively counterproductive for Sun Belt hockey. Mine is a 15-minute round trip on the public bus (for $4), but I'm a lucky one ... given commute times, you could argue Gilbert and Chandler are outside the PHX region. I certainly wouldn't drive that on a weeknight.

Best of luck, Petes, glad you figured out a workaround ... just a shame it requires that. Hit me up the first time you're in town for a weekend game, because if ANYONE deserves a free round at Yardhouse ...

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
Getting people to go to the games is only part of the equation. "Protecting" the TV partners investment is another. If FSAZ paid a bunch of money :)sarcasm:) to carry the game exclusively for the local market then the team/league needs to ensure FSAZ is the only place it can be seen in the market. If you live in an area where FSAZ is available and for whatever reason you don't have a package that gets it then that's on you. If you live in an area that FSAZ is not available and it's still blacked out then that a load of bovine feces.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Getting people to go to the games is only part of the equation. "Protecting" the TV partners investment is another. If FSAZ paid a bunch of money :)sarcasm:) to carry the game exclusively for the local market then the team/league needs to ensure FSAZ is the only place it can be seen in the market. If you live in an area where FSAZ is available and for whatever reason you don't have a package that gets it then that's on you. If you live in an area that FSAZ is not available and it's still blacked out then that a load of bovine feces.

It's the latter unless you get directv which due to condo restraints, isn't allowed. It blows but we'll see how it goes.

viperswhip

Jan 17, 2013
I thought Chicago had showed the light as to how to handle these things since the old owner bit the dust. Do they have blackouts? I don't think so, but I don't live there.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I thought Chicago had showed the light as to how to handle these things since the old owner bit the dust. Do they have blackouts? I don't think so, but I don't live there.

I think the Coyotes blackouts only apply to out of state residents, but I could be wrong.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

This is exactly why.

I think the Coyotes blackouts only apply to out of state residents, but I could be wrong.

It's supposed to. However if you have Gamecenter, it's by IP address.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad