Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks vs Sharks

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
As much as there is still a bitter taste from the Desi penalty which really changed the complexion of the game, we would have owned that game if not for a few bad turnovers from the defense (namely Murray and Braun). If we can clean up those mistakes, I feel good about our ability to compete against the Hawks.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
As much as there is still a bitter taste from the Desi penalty which really changed the complexion of the game, we would have owned that game if not for a few bad turnovers from the defense (namely Murray and Braun). If we can clean up those mistakes, I feel good about our ability to compete against the Hawks.

Agreed, the turnovers last night were awful! Not just the ones that turned into goals either, the sharks are lucky more of them didn't result in goals.

-Other thoughts:
Clowe is really bad this year. Put him on the 4th line or ship him out.
-I'm really liking the way Sheppard had been playing the last couple games.
-Power play is looking stagnant, they need to move their feet.
-I'm enjoying the improved penalty kill system very much over the last year or two.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Agreed, the turnovers last night were awful! Not just the ones that turned into goals either, the sharks are lucky more of them didn't result in goals.

-Other thoughts:
Clowe is really bad this year. Put him on the 4th line or ship him out.
-I'm really liking the way Sheppard had been playing the last couple games.
-Power play is looking stagnant, they need to move their feet.
-I'm enjoying the improved penalty kill system very much over the last year or two.

I share your thoughts on Sheppard. This game he really impressed me. Exactly what you want (and more!) from a third liner. Consistent effort like that and he takes Clowe's place.

The PP's struggles I'd pin on Joe Thornton losing his creativity and Dan Boyle not being 100%.

On the PK, I know that everyone is crediting Robinson, but I'd throw a bone out to Burish. He's got great positioning and does a great job of directing the play.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I share your thoughts on Sheppard. This game he really impressed me. Exactly what you want (and more!) from a third liner. Consistent effort like that and he takes Clowe's place.

The PP's struggles I'd pin on Joe Thornton losing his creativity and Dan Boyle not being 100%.

On the PK, I know that everyone is crediting Robinson, but I'd throw a bone out to Burish. He's got great positioning and does a great job of directing the play.

You did NOT just give praise to Burish....he's DW new whipping boy.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I'd also like to give props to Sheppard for his first point as a Shark. He's been playing better each game and I'm impressed with his physicality, his stick handling, his passing and positioning.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Sheppard is also faster than I thought he would be - good overall game for him. He definately has top 6 potential.

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
Sheppard played great last night. That entire line of Sheppard - Handzus - Wingels looked great...unfortunately the result of that was a line of Desi - Gomez - Burish that didn't look so good.

It's also becoming more apparent to me that Justin Braun, as great as he can look sometimes and as much potential as he has, isn't the "right" type of defensiveman for this team right now. I see him akin to Jack Johnson, its not that he is bad, its just that he isn't the right player type to build a winning team with.

I would start thinking trade for him.

Vlasic - Burns
Boyle - Stuart
Demers - Irwin/Murray

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
After a month of consistently sloppy and generally mediocre play around the NHL (which was to be expected, of course), this game was expected to be the first real showcase of high-level hockey since the season started, and it lived up to expectations. Except for the officiating, of course. Hey, the officials need time to round into top form too. But seriously, this was a great display of puck possession hockey. The Sharks and Blackhawks have long been two of the preeminent puck possession teams in the league, and they put on a show tonight. Other than the constant turnovers, at least. :facepalm: In order to play that style effectively, you need to possess one hell of a lot of talent. It's rare that you see two teams that play so similar a style that are so evenly matched.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Sheppard played great last night. That entire line of Sheppard - Handzus - Wingels looked great...unfortunately the result of that was a line of Desi - Gomez - Burish that didn't look so good.

It's also becoming more apparent to me that Justin Braun, as great as he can look sometimes and as much potential as he has, isn't the "right" type of defensiveman for this team right now. I see him akin to Jack Johnson, its not that he is bad, its just that he isn't the right player type to build a winning team with.

Vlasic - Burns
Boyle - Stuart
Demers - Irwin/Murray

Braun doesn't remind me of JJ in any way. Completely different Dman than him IMO. Braun had one bad game. I thought he has been pretty solid this year when he hasn't had to tow Murray around all game. If there is a guy that isn't the "right" defenseman for this team it is Douglas Murray. He is looking like a combonation of Wallin and Semenov out there.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Vlasic - Burns
Boyle - Stuart
Demers - Irwin/Murray

You're judging Braun on a few bad mistakes in one game? He had a few great rushes up the ice as well. Comparing Braun to Jack Johnson could not be more wrong. Jack Johnson is all offense no defense. If anything, Braun this season has been better defensively than offensively. He is a huge part of the d-core's future; he's above average with his stick, has a good first pass, and has great foot speed. Not to mention he's been paired with Douglas Murray for the majority of his shifts. He literally has to play both sides of the ice because Murray is so slow. When Braun was paired with Vlasic by the end of the game, he looked a lot better. And by no surprise, when Stuart was paired with Murray, Stuart looked worse.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hello everyone just curious to see what Shark fans thought of Brandon Saad

We are very high on the kid and seeing him score last night after coming so close in recent games was a nice moment (Kid was all smiles on bench)

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

We are very high on the kid and seeing him score last night after coming so close in recent games was a nice moment (Kid was all smiles on bench)

Everyone scores their first NHL goal against the Sharks.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

He's cool I guess.

Vlasic - Burns
Boyle - Stuart
Demers - Irwin/Murray

It's not easy to look good when you have to play both sides of the ice because you're paired with a pylon.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

I didn't notice much of him after his goal, though I wasn't really looking. That phantom call took my focus away.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Anyone else questioning Tmac's handling of Demers and Braun?

I'm the first guy to preach defensive responsibility. But all-around play is the key. The coaching staff has two players with very respectable offensive ability. Would it not behoove them to let Demers/Braun/maybe Irwin's offensive games round out as well?

From my perspective, TMac has put more of an emphasis on the defensive side. Both players get powerplay time, but they are clearly playing tentatively offensively. Rewards by Tmac almost exclusively seem to depend on defensive prowess. I've noticed that when either player makes a mistake in the defensive zone (and this goes for Irwin as well), TMac continues to give him playing time; he's not so harsh with the discipline. I actually like the way he handles it. But when either makes a mistake in the offensive zone that leads to trouble the other way, it seems like TMac cracks the whip immediately.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Anyone else questioning Tmac's handling of Demers and Braun?

I'm the first guy to preach defensive responsibility. But all-around play is the key. The coaching staff has two players with very respectable offensive ability. Would it not behoove them to let Demers/Braun/maybe Irwin's offensive games round out as well?

From my perspective, TMac has put more of an emphasis on the defensive side. Both players get powerplay time, but they are clearly playing tentatively offensively. Rewards by Tmac almost exclusively seem to depend on defensive prowess. I've noticed that when either player makes a mistake in the defensive zone (and this goes for Irwin as well), TMac continues to give him playing time; he's not so harsh with the discipline. I actually like the way he handles it. But when either makes a mistake in the offensive zone that leads to trouble the other way, it seems like TMac cracks the whip immediately.

Everyone. Especially against a speedy team like the Hawks, it's inexcusable to dress Murray instead of Demers. Not to mention Demers' career numbers vs. the Hawks are pretty good.
I don't think McLellan is putting an emphasis on the defensive side, more-so the veteran side. This season, Braun, Demers, and Irwin have been better than Murray. McLellan just dresses Murray because he's a "veteran".
Seriously, is McLellan the only coach in the league that continues to dress struggling players? Under coaches like Trotz, if you don't play well for a number of games, you sit in the press box and you think about how to improve your game. Under McLellan, if you're a veteran and you don't play well, you continue to play so you could "play out of your slump". Demers and Braun were better than White last year, but he dressed White. Demers has been far better than Murray this year, but he dresses Murray. Galiardi and Wingels have been more effective than Burish, yet he dresses Burish.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
With Murray and Clowe as UFAs that probably (more likely that Clowe stays than Murray) will not be extended, I am hopeful they will be shipped out. Murray has his moments, but his moments do not seem to do much to help the team other than a burst of momentum here and there. Clowe kills the offense anytime he touches the puck, but has shown much more ability to help the team when his game is on.

When Burns comes back, if Irwin continues to stay at or improve his level of play, Murray can easily be shipped out. Clowe can also net a decent return, but losing both may hurt as the intensity and physicality of the playoffs comes around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad