Prospect Info: Blackhawks top prospects #1

#1 prospect

• G Drew Commesso, Boston University (HE)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F MacKenzie Entwistle, Rockford IceHogs (AHL)

• D Alec Regula, Rockford IceHogs (AHL)

• F Landon Slaggert, University of Notre Dame (B1G)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

Generational.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't get the Allan pick at all, he likely would've been there later in the second round.
Why not pick Raty with such a late 1st rounder? At least you know he has the potential to be great.
How does Allan project to be anything other than a #6-7 defenseman at best?
Most everyone team passed on Raty at least once, some twice...something was going on there and not sure what exactly. He was underwhelming in what I saw, but that was a massive drop.

As for Allan, that one is going to be debated for a while. If the Hawks view him as another Connor Murphy and that was their guy, then I got no problem with it. Remember, Murphy was a pretty high 1st round pick too - and was limited offensively at that same age too.

Look at Ottawa going with Boucher at 10, that was their guy, and they felt he wouldn't be around come their 2nd round pick...now, could they have dropped back in the draft to get him?? Possibly, but Boucher is a kid that was very highly rated before the year started, likely someone would have snagged him in the 20's.

Point is, if that is your guy, you get that kid and don't play waiting games. We have no idea who else was high on Allan, I am sure someone else was...Allan won't be a sexy/high end player, we know that - but if he can peak and be a Murphy level dman, that is more than fine for where we drafted him. The list of 30-32 picks isn't Earth shattering either..

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Kaiser really has come out of left field and definitely inside our top 8 prospects...pretty crazy how quickly he has risen, even USA Hockey things very highly of him and someone I would be shocked if he didn't make the WJC team come December...
The U-20 USA team may include Slaggert, Commesso, and Kaiser.

Reactions: AmericanDream

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Most everyone team passed on Raty at least once, some twice...something was going on there and not sure what exactly. He was underwhelming in what I saw, but that was a massive drop.

As for Allan, that one is going to be debated for a while. If the Hawks view him as another Connor Murphy and that was their guy, then I got no problem with it. Remember, Murphy was a pretty high 1st round pick too - and was limited offensively at that same age too.

Look at Ottawa going with Boucher at 10, that was their guy, and they felt he wouldn't be around come their 2nd round pick...now, could they have dropped back in the draft to get him?? Possibly, but Boucher is a kid that was very highly rated before the year started, likely someone would have snagged him in the 20's.

Point is, if that is your guy, you get that kid and don't play waiting games. We have no idea who else was high on Allan, I am sure someone else was...Allan won't be a sexy/high end player, we know that - but if he can peak and be a Murphy level dman, that is more than fine for where we drafted him. The list of 30-32 picks isn't Earth shattering either..

Yeah. No idea if Allen will pan out, but, clearly, someone really liked him. After we moved our 2nd in the Jones trade, the Hawks must have felt he'd be gone by their next pick. And it wasn't worth the risk.

Reactions: AmericanDream

jls24

Apr 30, 2013

Watching Raty I felt the same way about when I watched Teply. I could always see and understand what he was going for. I see a ton of skill there and I'm pretty sure he'll end up panning out, for whatever reason pucks just weren't going in for him this year.

Teply could still be held back by his skating but there are no minus skills that could end up holding back Raty. I think he ends up being a home run.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Raty's comments about losing interest in hockey dropped his stock massively....and you know what, it should.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
This one’s easy. The rest is wide open, depending on whether someone values readiness, potential, high floor, position, or something else.

Reactions: OldScool

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
There's a couple guys we could have taken at 32 that I would have voted for instead of Reichel.

Instead the guy we got would be lucky to make the top 15.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Yup. From 19 to top 5.

Slaggert is legit. After Reichel, he's our best forward prospect.

Thats more of a byproduct of a weak forward pool than anything else.

Outside of Reichel, we have zero forward prospects that project as top 6 if they hit their ceiling.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Outside of Reichel, we have zero forward prospects that project as top 6 if they hit their ceiling.
Yes our forward pool is atrocious, but Slaggert is still a top 5 prospect for us.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Yes our forward pool is atrocious, but Slaggert is still a top 5 prospect for us.

Right, both things can be true.

He’s a nice player, a role kind of guy. We have a lot of those.

I’d like to see us target some boom or bust guys in the 22 and 23 draft.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Kayumov. Barratt is 2nd line center ceiling. Slaggart too.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Right, both things can be true.

He’s a nice player, a role kind of guy. We have a lot of those.

I’d like to see us target some boom or bust guys in the 22 and 23 draft.
Yeah I kind of want to see us draft only forwards in next year's draft.

Obviously, I don't mean that literally cause picking BPA is always the rule.

However, I feel pretty set at D. The other thing with D is there's less roster spots to develop them. 6D vs 12F. There does come a point where you can probably have too many. Can Rockford host Phillips, Kaiser, Allan, Vlasic, Demin, Krutil, Del Mastro, etc all at the same time? And those are just LD I named.

Again, you always pick BPA. If there's a great D-man available, you don't pass that up. But our forward pool is very sparse. It'd be nice to replenish it.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad