Proposal: Blackhawks-Rangers-Seattle

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
To Chicago- Kappo Kakko + Gourde cap hit (2.58mil) 2 years

To Rangers- Yanni Gourde (2.58mil) 2 years

To Seattle- Lukas Reichel

Chicago swaps struggling prospects. Gets size and draft pedigree.

Seattle gets 21 year old 1st round struggling prospect with change of scenery

New York gets veteran playoff center for 2 years on the cheap

Who needs to add? Whos pissed?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Rs decline
KK has way mo upside

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Not a terrible proposal, but I agree with the other poster. I think Rangers add pick to one of Chicago or Seattle for retention.

Reactions: McJedi

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

Not a terrible proposal by any means

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Clever proposal.

As to whether Seattle would trade Gourde, my guess is probably not this year. He probably still fetches a 1st next year. Francis is very comfortable having a middling team and trying to build from there. He's not in a hurry to get younger.

I do think Reichel would be a good buy low player. Though he is terribly soft and I'm not sure he fits in Seattle's forechecking style. If he can adapt to it though he would be a great add. The skill is there.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I hate this for Seattle. Gourde killed my Avs in the playoffs last year. He was their best player IMO. Such a puck hound and net front menace.

Reichel isn't worth that and hasn't shown he can be that level of player.

Totally amazing deal for the Rangers though. Love it for them so much.

Rs decline
KK has way mo upside
You must be joking dude. Groude at 50% retained for two playoff runs would be such a home run deal for the Rangers. Rangers win this deal hugely.

It's Seattle that easily declines this proposal.

Reactions: Irie

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Groude would be in line to fetch a 1st next trade deadline at 50% retained... Assuming his team isn't in the playoff hunt, which is a bad assumption IMO. They are in this season's playoff hunt.

He is worth far more than either of these two underwhelming young players. Groude is a playoff proven Center that is tough and puck hungry. He's a 2C the Avs or any number of other teams could use. You know who else could use Groude... Seattle!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I hate this for Seattle. Gourde killed my Avs in the playoffs last year. He was their best player IMO. Such a puck hound and net front menace.

Reichel isn't worth that and hasn't shown he can be that level of player.

Totally amazing deal for the Rangers though. Love it for them so much.

You must be joking dude. Groude at 50% retained for two playoff runs would be such a home run deal for the Rangers. Rangers win this deal hugely.

It's Seattle that easily declines this proposal.
we have a dif of op
long term KK = mo upside
I want Rs to effin capitulate, recognize he has chem w/Cuylle and they need a pivot
I don't want a deal

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Groude would be in line to fetch a 1st next trade deadline at 50% retained... Assuming his team isn't in the playoff hunt, which is a bad assumption IMO. They are in this season's playoff hunt.

He is worth far more than either of these two underwhelming young players. Groude is a playoff proven Center that is tough and puck hungry. He's a 2C the Avs or any number of other teams could use. You know who else could use Groude... Seattle!
Id say both Reichel and Kakko are still worth a mid/late 1st at this point.

Kakko 2nd overall and 22 years old coming off 40 point season no pp time. struggling this season 14 min a game.

Reichel 17th overall 21 years old ppg in AHL and 15 points in 23 games last season struggling this season 14 min a game.

Gourde is 32 years old on a expiring contract with 20 points in 48 games. His value would be previous playoff play and positional/lineup flexibility.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm not a fan of any of the teams involved, and I can't figure out who would say no. I won't pretend I know all 3 orgs enough to know all their needs/constraints.... but I think this could work.

Crazier things have definitely happened.

Kudos.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If Seattle is moving Gourde, they will only have Beniers, who is having a bit of a sophomore slump, as their lone legitimate NHL center signed for next season.

Trading Gourde would signal the team is likely embracing a tank year and would easilty be able to handle the full retention themselves, thereby maximizing the return.

A fully retained Gourde for two playoff runs should return more than Lukas Reichel.

I think Seattle easily declines here.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't think this is great for Seattle. Reichel has had a tough year on a team where atleast in theory he should have had every change to play lots of minutes and force his way to top minutes in all offensive situations. Seattle could easily get a 1st for Gourde, and for him at 50% retained for 2 playoff runs they can get a 1st, decent prospect and a mid round pick.

Is Reichel's value right now that of a late 1st and a B prospect and a mid round pick? The fact that he has to pass through waivers starting next season also makes it tough for his value as the trading team will have to commit to a roster spot (and the associated pressure on the team to give a player like that decent minutes).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad