Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks Draft C Anthony Louis 181st Overall

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Admittedly I know nothing about most prospects, especially later round picks, but I agree with you. Taking a hometown kid every once and awhile is cool and all, but to me it feels like Illinois can't produce that many good players that are better than all the other prospects. What do I know though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Louis is super skilled, and for those that don't follow prospects this isn't a bad pick at all. the kid can score, buzzes around the net and isn't afraid to battle. his size drops him in the draft like Cammarata did, but skill is another story and he has a lot of it. Another great pick for Bowman who pretty much drafted team America tonight!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So far he spits on drafting any Canadians in a very good draft year for Canadians and a below par year for USNTDP...wrong strategy Stan!

What is with all these small centres? As if he mever heard of LWs..

Hartman went about where most had him projected to go..end of first to early second range so no big steal there..but debates about alternative opportunities abound..Dahlstrom had better work out because we could have had both Dmen I liked bettter...Bowey and Heatherington..or we could have had Bowey then goalie Phillipe Desrosiers..or as it worked out in opportunity cost we might ave chosen goalie Tristan Jarry who is the steal of the draft for PITT and still have gotten Bowey too .if Stan had only pivked my hunches as best picks to click.

ANYWAY you slice thisI think Stan missed the boat..evem though Hartman is snother rat like Shaw bit slightly bigger and maube a bit more skill..bit still his projection is not a top six but only a third liner agitator role..you do not pick this Type in round one..would you pick Shaw as high as #30? But I guess the old rulebook for GMs has changed..or at least for one GM...
OF course this is a sage pick..he will not bust and is certain to role like Shaw as an impact third liner in the NHL..so better to be safe than riskb a bot more on a potential 2-3 dman like Boweys's ceiling. .or on a potemtial franchise goalie like Jarry can be to his highest ceiling..

Yes I know Dahlstrom went higher than Bowey because we passed on him to take the bigger dman in Dahlstrom...but a few years from now we shall see if our Hawks vaunted scouting staff got a steal in Dahlstrom or whether WASH got lucky in that so many GMs passed on Bowey to let him fall that far to Wash. ..or if EDM got real lucky in getting maybe the very brst plauer from this draft on a franchose goalie...my hunch..in Tristan Jarry.. We could not have gotten Karry as he went before our pick in round two..but we could have taken Desrosiers who I think will also be an mhl top ten goalie on a few years. SO when Crawford wants his $6million per yr plus contract and ee.have to ship him out for cap reasons,Stan may rue his infatuation with rats (Hartman) and his third liner role ceoling when he could have had a pipeline quality "A" goalie developing..He better hope Raanta is that good and is not offer sheeted and flies the coup when we can't match..I thonk you can never have too many great goalie assets because they become valueable trade assets when you need to dump one..look what Schneider brought..a number nine pick..not some second and a couple of fourths garbage..

So 2 questions about Stan's draft..1. Did he get enough back for Bolland and Frolik? And 2. Did he pick the right guys with all the picks he had in this draft after the yrades? IT is a longshot to think any of the forwards we drafted will be other than bottom six giys IF theymake it to the NHL roster..Or if any dman we drafted.gets to a #3-4 dman role and effective +/- stats to the positive..if they only get bottom six.forward slots and only third pair dman roles. .for some of them...because some willnever even get to those levels..then this could be a bad draft for us in a stellar deep draft producing mamy plums for several other teams.

BOTTOM LINE..IT looks like Stan got hosed on the picks back off the trades in terms of where the pick slots were and it lookd like we did not pick that wisely compared to what we might have picked. .at least in the first twp rounds..

IT LOOKS LIKE STAN had to dump cap room and GMs.new we were desperate to dump and so the value back was LOWER than most fans would have expected..

THEN it looks like our vaunted scouting staff.hatdly had to eork at all..could have read Mackenzie and picked the Illinois born Hartman to add to their infatuation with homeboys..the marketing dept. Loves it..And then merely parked in Djurgardens Jrs and in the USNTP..so in a year where Quebec finally has a deep crop of talent..our QMJHL scouts are ignored..as are all our Canadian scouts..and in a consensus below par yr for the USA depthwise..Stan goes ovrrboard for USA guys..and for some reason we gove more value too tp our euro scputs but not that varied as to where theu found them..Then..overall quantity of smallish centres..kind of mystifyong draft and probably not one of our brst...lot of work for not much specialness hope..it seems to me.. A third liner rat..a project big dman amd a buch of suspects after that.. Not impressed Stan.

RomersWorld*

This kid had the same PPG as Compher on the same team and Compher was a late 1st/early 2nd talent. Obviously size is a knock on him but like Pierre and Mac said, after the 2nd round you start drafting players who have a couple great things you like even if they have a downsides(size was mentioned specifically). We've seen smaller kids be able to produce in the NHL and we've seen some grow after being drafted. If this kid is really skilled, I don't see the downside to using a 6th rounder on him no matter where he was born.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So far he spits on drafting any Canadians in a very good draft year for Canadians and a below par year for USNTDP...wrong strategy Stan!

What is with all these small centres? As if he mever heard of LWs..

Hartman went about where most had him projected to go..end of first to early second range so no big steal there..but debates about alternative opportunities abound..Dahlstrom had better work out because we could have had both Dmen I liked bettter...Bowey and Heatherington..or we could have had Bowey then goalie Phillipe Desrosiers..or as it worked out in opportunity cost we might ave chosen goalie Tristan Jarry who is the steal of the draft for PITT and still have gotten Bowey too .if Stan had only pivked my hunches as best picks to click.

ANYWAY you slice thisI think Stan missed the boat..evem though Hartman is snother rat like Shaw bit slightly bigger and maube a bit more skill..bit still his projection is not a top six but only a third liner agitator role..you do not pick this Type in round one..would you pick Shaw as high as #30? But I guess the old rulebook for GMs has changed..or at least for one GM...
OF course this is a sage pick..he will not bust and is certain to role like Shaw as an impact third liner in the NHL..so better to be safe than riskb a bot more on a potential 2-3 dman like Boweys's ceiling. .or on a potemtial franchise goalie like Jarry can be to his highest ceiling..

Yes I know Dahlstrom went higher than Bowey because we passed on him to take the bigger dman in Dahlstrom...but a few years from now we shall see if our Hawks vaunted scouting staff got a steal in Dahlstrom or whether WASH got lucky in that so many GMs passed on Bowey to let him fall that far to Wash. ..or if EDM got real lucky in getting maybe the very brst plauer from this draft on a franchose goalie...my hunch..in Tristan Jarry.. We could not have gotten Karry as he went before our pick in round two..but we could have taken Desrosiers who I think will also be an mhl top ten goalie on a few years. SO when Crawford wants his $6million per yr plus contract and ee.have to ship him out for cap reasons,Stan may rue his infatuation with rats (Hartman) and his third liner role ceoling when he could have had a pipeline quality "A" goalie developing..He better hope Raanta is that good and is not offer sheeted and flies the coup when we can't match..I thonk you can never have too many great goalie assets because they become valueable trade assets when you need to dump one..look what Schneider brought..a number nine pick..not some second and a couple of fourths garbage..

So 2 questions about Stan's draft..1. Did he get enough back for Bolland and Frolik? And 2. Did he pick the right guys with all the picks he had in this draft after the yrades? IT is a longshot to think any of the forwards we drafted will be other than bottom six giys IF theymake it to the NHL roster..Or if any dman we drafted.gets to a #3-4 dman role and effective +/- stats to the positive..if they only get bottom six.forward slots and only third pair dman roles. .for some of them...because some willnever even get to those levels..then this could be a bad draft for us in a stellar deep draft producing mamy plums for several other teams.

BOTTOM LINE..IT looks like Stan got hosed on the picks back off the trades in terms of where the pick slots were and it lookd like we did not pick that wisely compared to what we might have picked. .at least in the first twp rounds..

IT LOOKS LIKE STAN had to dump cap room and GMs.new we were desperate to dump and so the value back was LOWER than most fans would have expected..

THEN it looks like our vaunted scouting staff.hatdly had to eork at all..could have read Mackenzie and picked the Illinois born Hartman to add to their infatuation with homeboys..the marketing dept. Loves it..And then merely parked in Djurgardens Jrs and in the USNTP..so in a year where Quebec finally has a deep crop of talent..our QMJHL scouts are ignored..as are all our Canadian scouts..and in a consensus below par yr for the USA depthwise..Stan goes ovrrboard for USA guys..and for some reason we gove more value too tp our euro scputs but not that varied as to where theu found them..Then..overall quantity of smallish centres..kind of mystifyong draft and probably not one of our brst...lot of work for not much specialness hope..it seems to me.. A third liner rat..a project big dman amd a buch of suspects after that.. Not impressed Stan.

On the kudos sode however, getting Bivks on that huge hometown discpint deal is Great cap value management..no doubt had he hit the market he would have got a lot more. .I guess the hinted at endorsement deals will be folloeing under the direction of our brst in the leagie marketing dept. IF only our scouting dept. could have been as good..but I guess even they can have one off years... We coulda/shoulda done better..but luckily we have the pipeline stockpile of tecent uears..Just thonk fire sale and Stan off concentration and senses becaise of the pressure on him..I gurss.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
There is no standard for saying this player or that was the "BPA". Each team's lists are different. Clearly, those were the BPAs at those picks for the Blackhawks.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Fair enough, I was just guessing. Just finding it hard to believe that that many Illinois kids were the BPA for each of our picks.

We picked 2 Illinois kids
1) Ryan Hartman: 16 ranked NA skater on Central Scouting final list. We picked him at 31. Add in Euros + Goalies and he definitely could have been BPA.
2) Anthony Louis: 191 ranked NA skater on Central Scouting final list. We picked him 181. Add in Euros + Goalies and it might be a stretch. Who really knows when you're 180 players in though.

People are writing John Hayden is a Chicago boy. Is this confirmed? He might have been born in Chicago, but I'm pretty sure he grew up on the East Coast.

Every year we pick a kid from Chicago in 6 or 7th round. Who knows, these guys might not be BPA at times. Hard to argue Hartman wasn't BPA on their board though. Every mock I saw had him in the mid 20s.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
There is no standard for saying this player or that was the "BPA". Each team's lists are different. Clearly, those were the BPAs at those picks for the Blackhawks.

I understand that and agree with it. I still think Bowman has a bias for hometown kids and could be missing out on better value elsewhere. I'm just speculating though, as I've said many times because I don't follow any leagues other than the NHL and the Hogs. For all I know, those were the BPA and I'm way off. It was just a question as to whether or not there's a bias for hometown kids that makes Bowman pass on other players that are better picks.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I understand that and agree with it. I still think Bowman has a bias for hometown kids and could be missing out on better value elsewhere. I'm just speculating though, as I've said many times because I don't follow any leagues other than the NHL and the Hogs. For all I know, those were the BPA and I'm way off. It was just a question as to whether or not there's a bias for hometown kids that makes Bowman pass on other players that are better picks.

I simply don't think that's the case. All of the players went right around where they were projected to go, and Hayden and Motte especially were great value picks. Louis is a very skilled player, but he's small, thus the drop to the 6th round and Hartman, obviously, was widely considered a 1st round pick.

More than anything, I think the hometown connection was more coincidence than anything, because it has never been a theme in any of Bowman's drafts. Yes, they drafted A.Broadhusrt in 2011, but he's looking like a real prospect now and yes, they drafted Hinostroza in 2012, and again he looks like a quality prospect at this point.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

I think we sometimes overrate the objectivity of scouts. There is definitely bias. Also, it's not like the Hawks are spending as much time scouting potential 6th and 7th round picks as they are rounds 1 and 2. Lots of the Hawks coaches, scouts, etc have kids playing Chicago youth hockey. I'm sure some of these Chicago kids may catch their eye and they'll pick them over some other 7th round prospect playing in Finland. I think hockey is much less "Moneyball" than some of the other sports.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
I simply don't think that's the case. All of the players went right around where they were projected to go, and Hayden and Motte especially were great value picks. Louis is a very skilled player, but he's small, thus the drop to the 6th round and Hartman, obviously, was widely considered a 1st round pick.

More than anything, I think the hometown connection was more coincidence than anything, because it has never been a theme in any of Bowman's drafts. Yes, they drafted A.Broadhusrt in 2011, but he's looking like a real prospect now and yes, they drafted Hinostroza in 2012, and again he looks like a quality prospect at this point.

I don't think so:
2007 Bill Sweatt (2nd round)
2009 Paul Phillips (7th round)
2010 Mac Carruth (7th round)
2011 Alex Broadhust (7th round)
2012 Vincent Hinostroza (6th round)
2013 Ryan Hartman (1st round)
2013 Anthony Louis (6th round)

Can't back it up, but I doubt any other team has taken 7 kids who've played youth hockey in Chicago in the past 7 years.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Kelley and drafting

It's a bit concerning that they drafted a lot of kids from the combine. They get to know them which is good, but their body of work that is most important is during games, tournaments, playoffs and trend. I personally don't think he's bad at what he does, but I'm not sure he's good either in terms of the league average. I guess I've never gotten over the trauma of the Dumas factor.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
What's up with all these hometown kids.

Makes for good marketing. Not only does it show up nicely in the paper the next day, it can foster the growth of the sport locally. Plus, its entirely possible that there's a connection within the organization.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
while this is true Teemu, I have a feeling that when it comes to pick this late the chance that he makes it and works even harder is higher when he is from this area. Kind of a bit extra motivation...

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't think so:
2007 Bill Sweatt (2nd round)
2009 Paul Phillips (7th round)
2010 Mac Carruth (7th round)
2011 Alex Broadhust (7th round)
2012 Vincent Hinostroza (6th round)
2013 Ryan Hartman (1st round)
2013 Anthony Louis (6th round)

Can't back it up, but I doubt any other team has taken 7 kids who've played youth hockey in Chicago in the past 7 years.

Bill Sweatt was a good prospcct in 2007. Phillips, Broadhurst and Carruth were 7th round picks, and Carruth and Broadhurst have become solid prospecs. Hinostroza's another really solid prospect.. and obviously Hartman, Hayden and Louis are all good/solid prospects.

Before this draft, Chicago had drafted 4 Illinois kids in 4 years. Considering the amount of talent from Illinois, I don't find that shocking. The only thing you can really draw from it is that Chicago really likes drafting Americans.

Judrix

Teuvo is Kane's son
Feb 24, 2010
Chicago
Makes for good marketing. Not only does it show up nicely in the paper the next day, it can foster the growth of the sport locally. Plus, its entirely possible that there's a connection within the organization.

If that's the case then that is annoying. Would rather have the player with the best chance to help the team. Not saying the guys we drafted are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad