GDT: Blackhawks at Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Just getting home from a soccer game and see that Q scratched Schmaltz. Did he give an explanation?

Can’t believe this kid has gone from golden opportunity to healthy scratch in his contract year.

Maybe it’s just because I’m a bit drunk, but I’m feeling more disappointed about Schmaltz’ season so far than I am about this game result. I had 60+ point expectations for this kid. Maybe this scratch gets him on track?

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Are there any Q believers left on HF? Cause they’re all over the place elsewhere on the internet. It’s so frustrating that people like that run the Hawks organization. Desperately wanting to make the playoffs to get curb stomped in the first round again.

That’s how Detroit ended up in their current situation. I pray to god the Hawks don’t follow that route.

Kane is just 29 and Toews just hit 30 years of age so. Little to no chance Hawks completely tear it down.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Kane is just 29 and Toews just hit 30 years of age so. Little to no chance Hawks completely tear it down.
I never said tear it down completely. But you can’t look at what’s happening on the ice and think that nothing needs to change. And I’m talking beyond shuffling bottom six guys and bottom pairing dmen.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
This shit has gone on too long. 4 straight losses isn't good enough. The good will the team had from their start is over and done with.

It's time to recall Sikura and Forsling and hope that a bit more depth will help the team pick up points. Otherwise play Manning for 30 minutes a night and go all in for Hughes.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Bad teams play bad. A coach who frequently makes questionable roster decisions made a huge mistake tonight in a failed effort to send an unnecessary message. I feel like I should be more bothered by it but i cant say I wasnt expecting this season to feature a handful of games like this

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Another 0-3 on the power play, and they gave up a shorty. Against what was one of the WORST penalty kills in the NHL. Schmaltz scratched. Manning allowed to cost the Hawks a couple more goals. Kunitz on the PP. What a f***ing disgrace. This coaching staff is going to ruin these players if they are allowed to finish out the season. I am just about done.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
While one should not fully live in the past, winning three cups on six years is still something that should be appreciated, yet it seems many fans are still miserable about it as they were envisioning and expecting a Bulls like run of dominance when with the hard cap and difference in the way the sports are played really wasn't all that realistic. The Cubs a few years back some thought may have been a dynasty and are still at one and may not win another one. It seems Q may be the most disliked winning coach ever in this town and yet Ditka who won one Super Bowl with a team that probably should have won three is basically worshiped and considered to be Lombardi.

No doubt. Posters here cry over 3 in 6 cups yet Theo Epstein will always get a permanent pass for winning just 1. Theo's Cubs can outspend 2 and 3 times more than any team in their division

Reactions: plank

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
No doubt. Posters here cry over 3 in 6 cups yet Theo Epstein will always get a permanent pass for winning just 1. Theo's Cubs can outspend 2 and 3 times more than any team in their division
Indeed! I know my sentiment is shared with a good few posters here but there is a seeming majority whom expect this core to be the gift that just keeps giving! I try to think of them as a thoroughbred who has won 3 triple crowns ... do you rag on him for showing signs of being a little worn out and long in the tooth? We had the privilege of witnessing the magic and glory of THREE Stanley Cups! Yeah, sure I would love to see the team compete for a few more .. but I understand if they just cannot.

Reactions: plank

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Indeed! I know my sentiment is shared with a good few posters here but there is a seeming majority whom expect this core to be the gift that just keeps giving! I try to think of them as a thoroughbred who has won 3 triple crowns ... do you rag on him for showing signs of being a little worn out and long in the tooth? We had the privilege of witnessing the magic and glory of THREE Stanley Cups! Yeah, sure I would love to see the team compete for a few more .. but I understand if they just cannot.

so in other words if they continue to assemble a crappy team and not able to make the playoff, lets say for the next 4 yrs+. according to your point, it is all good b/c 3, the Bhawks fans saw 3 SC and we should be happy and content b/c of those 3 SC ??

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
so in other words if they continue to assemble a crappy team and not able to make the playoff, lets say for the next 4 yrs+. according to your point, it is all good b/c 3, the Bhawks fans saw 3 SC and we should be happy and content b/c of those 3 SC ??

He’s saying there’s a double standard, which there is.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I listened to Zawaski’s podcast this morning, it sounds like he agrees with Q’s decision to scratch Schmaltz.

He cited Schmaltz’ passive play in the final two minutes of the Vancouver game as reason alone to be scratched. He also said there were other moments in the Vancouver game that justified a healthy scratch, but didn’t give specifics.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
I said it after VAN game ........ This is not a playoff team

6-5-3 ......... this record will get better because ........ (allowed 8 goals more than they have scored) ......... Murphy and Forsling come back healthy and make the D solid? Riiiiiiight

The Hawks suddenly (after 10 years under Q) figure out how to have an effective Power Play? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

Love the Hawks but if everything breaks right ....... maybe ... maybe a shot at a wild card

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I think the most frustrating part for me is I actually believe we still have the talent to compete, at least somewhat.

But coaching can absolutely wreck that. Look at how long bylsma was given in Pittsburgh. The second he leaves, they win the cup. Do not underestimate having good systems in place and what that does for a team.

Reactions: jls24

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I said it after VAN game ........ This is not a playoff team

6-5-3 ......... this record will get better because ........ (allowed 8 goals more than they have scored) ......... Murphy and Forsling come back healthy and make the D solid? Riiiiiiight

The Hawks suddenly (after 10 years under Q) figure out how to have an effective Power Play? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

Love the Hawks but if everything breaks right ....... maybe ... maybe a shot at a wild card

I think about 80% of us stated before the season began that this is not a playoff team. The reasons are many --- poor PP, poor player utilization, poor system in our own end, lack of talent on D, lack of certainty re: goaltending (how much Crow will we get), lack of secondary scoring --- and a tough division, among other reasons (both coaching and talent) . So... nothing so far has been the least bit surprising - the Hawks look pretty much like most of us expected going in. This should be Q's last season - it just has to play out.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think the most frustrating part for me is I actually believe we still have the talent to compete, at least somewhat.

But coaching can absolutely wreck that. Look at how long bylsma was given in Pittsburgh. The second he leaves, they win the cup. Do not underestimate having good systems in place and what that does for a team.

I would point out that Pens fired GM before firing coach

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Yeah coaching staff gotta go just for the sake of a new message and routine and voice
this makes more sense then anything if you are getting rid of Q. But the roster still stinks. u cant win with a bad roster so its doomed from the start. im glad schmaltz got healthied hes been awful.

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
It seems they have never recovered from that playoff debacle against Nashville. To this day I am still baffled as to how it could have happened as I really expected them to have a deep run heading in although some will say I was a blind homer drinking the look aid but I really did. Part of me also still thinks they would have beaten Calgary and ran into the wrong team and would have faced them if not for a Blake Wheeler short handed goal the last day of the season, but that debacle seemed to do lots of long term psychological damage. It seemed the way they shut it down the last four games after clinching the top seed was a huge mistake. Also, I have seen it speculated elsewhere that perhaps something toxic happened behind the scenes that helped lead to the bad result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad