GDT: Blackhawks at Flames: Nov 18, 7pm MT on SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
0-1 record for me :cry:
Monahan and Bennett had a really solid game, but man that late goal was killer.
As an aside, not sure if it was shown on TV or not but close to the end of the 3rd they showed a 90 year old women holding a sign that read "I'm 90 and this is my first game", it was met with cheers from the crowd, then she shows her Blackhawks t-shirt, and the cheers turned to boos. :laugh:

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Tell me how they played together overall. Does Mony and Benny have their mojos back?

5v5 They looked like two thirds of a damn good first line. Brouwer was killing them at times though. I'd love to make some kind of trade to acquire a guy like Brendan Gallagher who can tip some point shots once in a while. With Ferland, Hathaway, Tkachuk, Bennett, Monahan, this team has a lot of good size at forward and with Pribyl, Jankowski, Poirier, that will only be even better. I really don`t think Brouwer offers enough defensively or offensively to justify his cost and if we can return a top six forward from a sucker (as the Capitals did with TJ Oshie) we are better off for it.

5v4 They couldn't score a goal as usual. Vey was killing them at times though.

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Much better game today... heartbreaking to lose. They have been playing much better of late.

Still don't know what's up with Brodie.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I have really liked Monahan with Brouwer and Bennett.

The other two force Monny to get involved more than be a perimeter player. They both deep crashing, and it brings him into the mix. Even when Johnny comes back, I'd consider keeping them apart. Let Johnny play with Versteeg when he gets back... Maybe down the middle with Stajan or someone of the sort?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I caught a good chunk of this game on the radio; basically the first half. Sounded like Crawford was the difference-maker for the Hawks. Accurate?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
In hindsight, Gagner would have been a significantly better reclamation project than Versteeg. Or Vey. Or both combined.

You don't even need hindsight for that. I'm fairly sure I posted several times that Gagner would be an excellent pickup for the Flames. He's basically ****** Hudler, soft, slow, with nice hands. Instead we get Brouwer. :/

I think Versteeg will help when he comes back as well. He is a good player and I'm glad they were at least able to sign him.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If our special teams keep it up we're going to be the sole occupant for 30th place in both PK and PP. It's actually funny how bad that is.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If our special teams keep it up we're going to be the sole occupant for 30th place in both PK and PP. It's actually funny how bad that is.

Too me that is a coaching problem. They have the personel to do good. Load of offensive dmen in Gio, Hamilton, Wideman and Brodie. Play making in Johnny, shooter in Monahan and a big man in Brouwer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You don't even need hindsight for that. I'm fairly sure I posted several times that Gagner would be an excellent pickup for the Flames. He's basically ****** Hudler, soft, slow, with nice hands. Instead we get Brouwer. :/

I think Versteeg will help when he comes back as well. He is a good player and I'm glad they were at least able to sign him.

You are actually complaining that we got Brouwer instead of Gagner? Wow, I have no words......

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'll say the same I said after the Coyotes game. I'm fairly optimistic about the rest of the season. Sucks that Flames didn't get any points, but overall the team is playing better. Weird, but it's like it takes 15-20 games for a team to learn a new system.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Couldn't watch the third, so I'm kinda sad to find out we lost, especially after playing so well in the first 40 minutes that I saw

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I was optimistic after the Blues/Hawks back to back :laugh:

I get your point. But it's clear that the team is playing better, earlier in the season it seemed that too ofter players didn't know who should do what in the dzone, and that lead to mistakes and goals against. If GG finally stops mixing D pairings, it'll help both D and goalkeeping (remember last season?). Goals will start coming sooner or later, Flames have been generating chances lately. And hopefully Gaudreau's injury will spark the rest of team realizing that they have to start producing.

If a Finn is this positive there must be something to it :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Couldn't watch the third, so I'm kinda sad to find out we lost, especially after playing so well in the first 40 minutes that I saw

We continued to play well, to be honest.
The GWG was such a fluke, weird chain of events type goal that you can't even be super pissed off about the loss.

I like how we're playing. If Calgary goes 2 for 1 the rest of the month, I'm comfortable saying we have a chance. The way they've been playing tells me there's a lot of improvement; I think Gully's system is finally understood.

If we went 4-2-1 the rest of November, Calgary would be sitting at 11-13-1 which would honestly give us a chance moving forward. If by game 41 we could be something like:
20-17-4 this team can go for it. If we're still 4 games under .500 by the end of the month, or by game 41... I'd suggest we start selling ASAP and go all in on the suck train.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I get your point. But it's clear that the team is playing better, earlier in the season it seemed that too ofter players didn't know who should do what in the dzone, and that lead to mistakes and goals against. If GG finally stops mixing D pairings, it'll help both D and goalkeeping (remember last season?). Goals will start coming sooner or later, Flames have been generating chances lately. And hopefully Gaudreau's injury will spark the rest of team realizing that they have to start producing.

If a Finn is this positive there must be something to it :sarcasm:

Yeah if Bennett/Monahan/Gio/Brodie/the goalies play up to their capability, the Flames will be competitive. So far as the group they have not except for a couple games

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The GWG was such a fluke, weird chain of events type goal that you can't even be super pissed off about the loss.

To me it's not a fluke. It's 100% Johnson's fault for missing that shot.

If they want to win , they need the goalies to make those stoppable shots.

Johnson has been playing well except for that goal though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad