Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks agree to terms with Brad Winchester

Shaw65

Mar 13, 2011
Canada
Blackhawks agree to terms with Winchester
Wednesday, 07.24.2013 / 5:30 PM / News
By Chicago Blackhawks

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have agreed to terms with forward Brad Winchester on a one-year contract.

Winchester, 32, recorded 27 points (9G, 18A) in 37 games last season with the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League. He tied for seventh on the team in regular-season assists, and added one helper in two Calder Cup playoff games with the Admirals.

The Madison, Wisc., native has tallied 68 points (37G, 31A) in 390 career National Hockey League games with Edmonton, Dallas, St. Louis, Anaheim and San Jose, and 132 points (74G, 58A) in 232 AHL games with Toronto, Edmonton, Hamilton, Iowa, Peoria and Milwaukee over 10 seasons from 2003 to 2013. Prior to his professional career, Winchester played four seasons at the University of Wisconsin from 1999 to 2003.

Winchester was originally selected by Edmonton in the second round, 35th overall, of the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Lucille-Animated-gif-arrested-development-3695222-275-155.gif

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Another solid depth signing. I imagine he will be up and down all year and maybe they are having second thoughts about Bollig.

SLarmer28*

Fourth line left wing Rockford Icehogs:

Winchester - Froese/Gilbert - Beach

RomersWorld*

Bollig makes Winchester look like Sidney Crosby by comparison.

Winchester is actually good at screening the goalie with his big body and is surprisingly good on deflections as well. He takes a lot of abuse(cross checks galore) in front of the net but he battles using his size to his advantage. I think he is too washed up now though...his brain might be mush after getting KO'd by Volpatti. I think he has concussion problems but not completely sure.

Still, anyone is better than Bollig so I don't mind the signing. If it means Bollig gets sent to Rockford our team becomes better and if Winchester gets sent to Rockford then maybe he makes them better as well. He can be an asset on the PP in front of the net for sure.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
As long as this is for Rockford, I'm fine with it.

I'm a big believer in, grooming kids on a winning team. So they get that fire and feeling of a playoff run, and what it takes. I've been screaming for Hawks management to take their AHL squad more seriously. Alot of these signings lately, will do wonders for it!

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As long as this is for Rockford, I'm fine with it.

I'm a big believer in, grooming kids on a winning team. So they get that fire and feeling of a playoff run, and what it takes. I've been screaming for Hawks management to take their AHL squad more seriously. Alot of these signings lately, will do wonders for it!

Very good point! The vets added lately should put RFD in a contending position, especially if they get the goaltending. The prospects will be playing with a purpose which is something that seemed to be missing.

And you gotta love a player with a name like Winchester!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Rockford's going to lose a lot of offense next year. They could get a lot of that back, depending on how LeBlanc, Danault, McNeill and Mullane play.. but trying to replace 23 goals a 75 points from Pirri, 30 goals and 58 points from Morin and 27 goals and 47 points from Smith won't be easy.

They'll be improved on the backend, and in net, so hopefully the can get in the playoffs as a 8th-5th seed.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Rockford's going to lose a lot of offense next year. They could get a lot of that back, depending on how LeBlanc, Danault, McNeill and Mullane play.. but trying to replace 23 goals a 75 points from Pirri, 30 goals and 58 points from Morin and 27 goals and 47 points from Smith won't be easy.

They'll be improved on the backend, and in net, so hopefully the can get in the playoffs as a 8th-5th seed.

Luckily their goaltending and defense should be MUCH improved.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Don't you think it's a stretch to assume all of Pirri, Morin and Smith will make the Hawks?

Espies333s

Dec 27, 2012
Oswego, Illinois
Don't you think it's a stretch to assume all of Pirri, Morin and Smith will make the Hawks?

If it is its not too much of one. Most people have all three of them in their mock rosters or they have the third one as an injury call up. I would be surprised if the trio played any more than 50 games between them in the AHL.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011

Pirri and Smith seem like locks to me. Smith would already be a roster player if he didn't get injured in the preseason a couple of years ago against the Wings. Bowman has gone out of his way this summer to talk about filling roster spots with young players and praising Pirri for being the top scorer in the AHL. I think he starts the season at 2C (how long Q leaves him there is a whole other question).

I know you can't believe everything a GM says to the media, but for the most part Bowman has been pretty honest about what he wants to do since he became GM. Two years ago he told the media he wanted a depth center and a d-man, he got Oduya and Morrison. Last year he talked about wanting a center to help out on face offs and provide depth, he got Handzus.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Pirri and Smith are locks with one of Jayes or Morin possibly added. Not to mention about trades...

solid RFD signing and they can say what they want, but they prefer the Hogs to make the POs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad