Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks 2, Penguins 1 - At Least It Wasn't 10-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

McCurdy still projects the Pens with the fourth best record in the league despite the putrid play so far and so many road and back to back games.

His model has our division and conference real tight. When was the last time a team made the playoffs with 90 points?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
His model has our division and conference real tight. When was the last time a team made the playoffs with 90 points?

It is not 90 points but close to 100. And he does not have anyone much higher, TB is just at 100.

All that I am saying is that when no one gave the Pens a chance last year because of the defensive injuries, Murray out, etc. When commonly used metrics like CF% argued against the Pens. McCurdy's models for most of the playoffs had the Pens as the team to beat.

Just like Sully he has earned the benefit of the doubt, in this case as to his modeling. To think that the Pens will miss the playoffs is a real stretch.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This team needs another center and Letang to quit playing like ass.

Crosby will eventually get his points. Malkin has looked physically better but mentally a mess. Phil Kessel is this team's best player but he bobbles so many chances it is mind boggling.

When the chips are down we don't have the horses, especially up the middle, to win a cup. But still a long way to go.

Spong will be up soonish and we have to grab a center. Haglin needs to go, he's a 4M hole.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It is not 90 points but close to 100. And he does not have anyone much higher, TB is just at 100.

All that I am saying is that when no one gave the Pens a chance last year because of the defensive injuries, Murray out, etc. When commonly used metrics like CF% argued against the Pens. McCurdy's models for most of the playoffs had the Pens as the team to beat.

Just like Sully he has earned the benefit of the doubt, in this case as to his modeling. To think that the Pens will miss the playoffs is a real stretch.
His model has 2 teams making the playoffs with 90 points.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins flat out aren't going to miss the playoffs, it's a ridiculous suggestion to say they will. Everyone keeps saying how bad they've been this year, yet they're still on pace for 93 points and on pace to make the playoffs (they'd be the WC1 if the playoffs started today). People need to chill with the sky is falling nonsense. They're in a playoff spot while playing a ridiculously road heavy and tough schedule to start the year, all while numerous of their big guns are struggling. That doesn't even mention it's only freaking November.

If the Penguins do exactly what they've done so far for the rest of the season, they'll finish with 102 points (pace is just per 82 games, this accounts for how they do at home and away). They're absolutely fine. The team has been ridiculously good at home under Sullivan and they have 33 home games left (as opposed to 27 road games). Even if they go .500 on the road (which they're only slightly below currently while playing bad), they'll do plenty well enough at home to compensate for that.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The point that I am making is the McCurdy still has them one of the top teams in the league and has earned the benefit of the doubt, just like Sully has.

The Pens ain't missing the playoffs.
I am optimistic as well, but there are several factors that could derail this team including one of the two headed monsters missing time. That would be a monkey wrench in McCurdy's model.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am optimistic as well, but there are several factors that could derail this team including one of the two headed monsters missing time. That would be a monkey wrench in McCurdy's model.

Given the Pens' injury history I have no doubt the expectation of that is factored into his model.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Penguins flat out aren't going to miss the playoffs, it's a ridiculous suggestion to say they will. Everyone keeps saying how bad they've been this year, yet they're still on pace for 93 points and on pace to make the playoffs (they'd be the WC1 if the playoffs started today). People need to chill with the sky is falling nonsense. They're in a playoff spot while playing a ridiculously road heavy and tough schedule to start the year, all while numerous of their big guns are struggling. That doesn't even mention it's only freaking November.

If the Penguins do exactly what they've done so far for the rest of the season, they'll finish with 102 points (pace is just per 82 games, this accounts for how they do at home and away). They're absolutely fine. The team has been ridiculously good at home under Sullivan and they have 33 home games left (as opposed to 27 road games). Even if they go .500 on the road (which they're only slightly below currently while playing bad), they'll do plenty well enough at home to compensate for that.

This current stretch of games should tell the tale one way or the other. With so many home games coming up if we come out of this stretch in a bad spot in the standings then we're in bad shape indeed.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Then you're looking at it wrong.

The Pens are 3rd in their division with 25 points in 22 games despite having played more hockey than any other team over the last 2 years, their first month being their most difficult stretch of the whole season in terms of away games and back-to-backs, and Niemi being an auto-loss for 3 games.

They have work to do, obviously. But if you're only grading a coach who's guided this team to back-to-back Cups on one context-free quarter, then you need to change how you evaluate things.

Hey I agree overall but the 3rd place thing is a mirage. They could easily be in 10th if Carolina and NYI when a few games in hand. Things aren't dire but they sure as hell aren't good. They need to wake up fast. If it's not a trade (and I agree with pixies that the market likely blows), then they need some fresh hungry legs from Wilkes

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I think we make the playoffs. But its not 100% as some posters seems to think.

Metro is a god damn blood bath. And even the Rangers and Caps who people seems to mock for playing bad, will be tied and 1 point behind us if they win games in hand.

All i know is that if we trade our 1st, it better be lottery protected. I dont want to be in the same position like the year we traded a 1st for Perron and didnt protect it. We almost missed the playoffs that year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Metro is a god damn blood bath. And even the Rangers and Caps who people seems to mock for playing bad, will be tied and 1 point behind us if they win games in hand.

All i know is that if we trade our 1st, it better be lottery protected. I dont want to be in the same position like the year we traded a 1st for Perron and didnt protect it. We almost missed the playoffs that year.

The issue I think a lot of the posters saying “we are making the playoffs no matter what” can’t point to our shitty record really being the result of injuries.

One major injury to our top three forwards and it is a very, very real possibility we miss the playoffs if we continue to play how we have for what has been almost a calendar year.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Why even bother, we always lose against Chicago ... it's the third season in a row we've been sweep.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t think it’s a guarantee that this team makes the playoffs, and I think we definitely lose to Tampa if we end up as a wildcard.

We are two-line team that is completely healthy (Rowney doesn’t count, he’s trash). If one of our big guns get injured for any length of time, I would be very worried about our chances.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Iirc JR did lottery protect that pick. I know he did for the Kessel trade. I think for the Perron trade he did also.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Anyways it does seem ludicrous to even suggest we could miss the playoffs but our bottom six took a big hit in quality, our top six is struggling, Letang looks like a mess...etc.

I think all these things will stabilize over 82 games but you never know. Sometimes teams just have bad years. Even championship teams. If my memory serves me correctly the Devils won the cup in 95 and then missed the playoffs the next year. We are a stronger team than that Devils team was comparatively but point is things happen even to good teams.

Reactions: Shady Machine

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah, but they do have motivation. They have secured their place in history, but win three in a row and they will secure their place in hockey immortality. That is something.

That said, winning in the regular season, be it just enough games to get into the playoffs or a President's Trophy does zero toward that goal. These guys know the real games begin at the end of April and if they are still going through the motions then we can talk. Right now let them sleep walk.

I guess we will see how the final stretch and roster shape up. I hope that final 10 games are balls to the wall if we are going to coast the majority of the season. Can't really blame them after all the hockey they have played, it's impossible to have the energy to play all the time like most teams that don't play as much as us. Like if i worked a shit ton of overtime at my heavy lifting job doing heavy lifting for years, shit wears on you after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad