Movies: Black Panther

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not sure why but I didn't find a thread for this movie. I finally got around to watching it last night and it was a very solid movie. One of my favorite Marvel movies and probably on par with Wonder Woman which was IMO a great movie.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not sure why but I didn't find a thread for this movie. I finally got around to watching it last night and it was a very solid movie. One of my favorite Marvel movies and probably on par with Wonder Woman which was IMO a great movie.

There was a long thread but it was moved to the Political Discussion board [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Indeed it did get a little out of hand. Haven't checked it in a long time I am guessing it has died down by now.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Can someone please remind me how to get to the political board? I can never remember Thank you

lol

I have no idea myself. I get there by searching my own post history. I'd have never started posting if the original Black Panther thread hadn't been moved there. :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Saw this has reached 3rd highest grossing of all time. Heard great reviews, still haven't seen it myself but I'm shocked nevertheless that this would climb so quickly.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Saw this has reached 3rd highest grossing of all time. Heard great reviews, still haven't seen it myself but I'm shocked nevertheless that this would climb so quickly.

Its actually 10th. Might be 3rd if you account for NA/USA only, but worldwide its 10th.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I was surprised it did as well as it did. I saw it in the first two weeks because of the rave reviews. Personally, I didn't really enjoy it as much as other MCU movies. I would place it in the same tier as Dr. Strange, and above the Iron Man sequels. Black Panther is a great character though, the actor feels like he fits the part really well, and I'm sure will be a huge part of Infinity War.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah I am looking forward to Black Panther getting beyond an origin story and into just being a regular superhero. There wasn’t nearly enough superhero’ing in it, and what was there (specifically the final fight in the mines) looked pretty rough.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
@discostu... ridiculous legs on this film. Heading towards more than a 3.4x multi and still holding strong in its 10th week.

I mean, the 14.6% drop last weekend was insane and now a 660k Tuesday (+7.7% LW) and 610k Wednesday (20.7% LW) leading into Infinity War.

I was hesitant that it could edge past the mid 690's to hit $700 million domestically due its drop in theater count this weekend and its early home release but it's only dropping 260 in TC this weekend and the IW bump could realistically see it have a drop similar to last weekend.

I know a lot of people who are doing their own double features and it seems like BP is going to be the film to benefit from any IW spillover.

Perfect storm. Excellent piece of film-making, critical acclaim, phenomenal word of mouth all created a cultural zeitgeist. Box office runs like this are as rare as they are for a reason. But the movie deserves every bit of success that has come its way.

Still has another $12 - $17 million left in the tank domestically and another $2 - $5 million internationally. It will easily climb past The Last Jedi for #9 WW all time and has a great shot of making it past Deathly Hallows Pt 2 for #8 as well. Of course, Infinity War will knock it down a spot.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Yep, I was looking at domestic.

And looking how close it is to rank #9, I'm guessing it might even hit #8 or #7.

It probably won't have enough to get past 9, and based on early international grosses for IW, it will get bumped down soon as well. Domestically I think it may stay ahead of a Infinity War but it will be close.

An interesting milestone BP will hit this weekend is that it will surpass The Dark Knight domestic gross adjusted for inflation, to be the second biggest comic book domestic movie adjusted for inflation (behind the first Avengers movie). It's also just a few million shy of passing the biggest Bond movie of all time after inflation.
It really has had an amazing run.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It probably won't have enough to get past 9

You don't think it will climb past TLJ? It would basically have to be out of theaters on Monday for that not to happen.

I also don't think there is anyway IW beats BP domestically barring a $300m opening weekend. I expect IW to take down TFA's OW with about $255m this weekend as long as it hits around $40m in previews tonight. But it's not going to have anything more than a 2.2 or 2.4 multi as MCU sequels have repeatedly proven.

Domestically $575 - $625 million is my guess. Internationally? Well, we'll have to see what happens in China but it's tracking for a $175m opening and $300ish million total there so 1.1 billion internationally seems like it's on the cards depending on how frontloaded it is.

$1.7 billion WW is a good guess IMO but anything more is tough to see.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
You don't think it will climb past TLJ? It would basically have to be out of theaters on Monday for that to happen.

I also don't think there is anyway IW beats BP domestically barring a $300m opening weekend. I expect IW to take down TFA's OW with about $255m this weekend as long as it hits around $40m in previews tonight. But it's not going to have anything more than a 2.2 or 2.4 multi as MCU sequels have repeatedly proven.

Domestically $575 - $625 million is my guess. Internationally? Well, we'll have to see what happens in China but it's tracking for a $175m opening and $300ish million total there so 1.1 billion internationally seems like it's on the cards depending on how frontloaded it is.

$1.7 billion WW is a good guess IMO but anything more is tough to see.

I meant once it gets to 9, it won't go higher. Bad phrasing on my part.

Maybe it does though. It just seems like it's close to running out of gas. Once the doubleheaders are done, it may start fading.

It's semantics though at this level. It's a massive success and, given that there's a bigger margin for the studio on domestic, the bigger domestic take is probably better for it.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I meant once it gets to 9, it won't go higher. Bad phrasing on my part.

Maybe it does though. It just seems like it's close to running out of gas. Once the doubleheaders are done, it may start fading.

It's semantics though at this level. It's a massive success and, given that there's a bigger margin for the studio on domestic, the bigger domestic take is probably better for it.
Yeah, no doubt about that.

I'm actually a little surprised that Disney didn't do anything double feature wise this weekend officially however... people are mostly doing it themselves. The early home video release is what may really kill whatever remaining momentum it has more than anything.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

I'm actually a little surprised that Disney didn't do anything double feature wise this weekend officially however... people are mostly doing it themselves. The early home video release is what may really kill whatever remaining momentum it has more than anything.

I'm okay with the DVD release date. At that point, it may catch some stragglers who didn't see it in theatres that become motivated to watch Infinity Wars.

Disney doesn't need to worry about the individual records. They own all the major IP. It makes for an interesting story for box office nerds like myself, but, they're firmly in the black with the MCU and will continue to be in the future.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

I'm okay with the DVD release date. At that point, it may catch some stragglers who didn't see it in theatres that become motivated to watch Infinity Wars.

Disney doesn't need to worry about the individual records. They own all the major IP. It makes for an interesting story for box office nerds like myself, but, they're firmly in the black with the MCU and will continue to be in the future.

OK two questions.. because this is all interesting to me and I don't normally follow it as closely as I have started to...

1) What sites do you use for the $$ info? (earlier, I was basing mine off of box office mojo but based on the name alone I imagine its probably not the best resource for this type of news)

2) What do you guys mean by double featuring? (newb question, but like I said, I'm no expert in this field - just recently took interest) I'm assuming you mean showing the movies together one after the other?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad