Black Bear Sports Group Acquires Stake in USHL Phantoms

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Black Bear Sports Group Acquires Stake in Youngstown Phantoms
06/09/2018, 9:30pm CDT
By Youngstown Phantoms

Maryland-based sports and entertainment group reach terms with Troy and Aafke Loney.

Black Bear Sports Group, Inc. (“Black Bear”) has acquired the co-ownership position in the Youngstown Phantoms of the United States Hockey League owned by Troy and Aafke Loney. The Zoldan family retained their existing co-ownership of the team and the Phantoms will remain in Youngstown. Black Bear, led by CEO and Founder Murry Gunty, is a Maryland-based sports and entertainment company that owns and operates ice arenas, junior hockey franchises and youth sports events. Mr. Gunty is also the majority owner of SuperSeries AAA, a leading organizer or AAA youth hockey tournaments and tournament travel teams in North America.

Black Bear worked closely with Phantoms Fireworks owner, Bruce Zoldan to complete the transaction. Mr. Gunty will serve as Chairman of the Phantoms and has named his SuperSeries partner, NHL veteran and longtime Philadelphia Flyers captain, Keith Primeau, as Vice Chairman. ... Primeau will oversee all hockey operations as Vice Chairman of the team. ...

With the departure of the Loneys, Black Bear Sports Group will work closely with the Zoldans to assume business and hockey operations, and fill key leadership and sales positions previously held by the Loneys. In addition to the Phantoms, Black Bear owns and operates two other junior hockey franchises: the Maryland Black Bears of the North American Hockey League and Team Maryland of the Eastern Hockey League—both based in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The partnership with Black Bear Sports Group brings new leadership to the organization as well as a pipeline of players from the NAHL, EHL and Black Bear’s ‘AAA’ youth programs at its network of ice rinks such as the Mercer Chiefs and Team Maryland AAA. ...

Read more at: Black Bear Sports Group Acquires Stake in Youngstown Phantoms

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
With Zoldan retaining their stake, it seems the Phantoms stay in Youngstown for the foreseeable future. That's a good thing if you ask me. I don't think Youngstown can sustain any league of higher caliber, and it helps develop hockey in a strategic area. Bringing in Primeau is a high-profile move. Also interesting that Black Bear now owns teams in all three tiers of junior hockey. I wonder if they're attempting a more formal development pipeline for their own players?

I'm also curious if Loney has anything planned for the future. I wouldn't be surprised if he was offered a management or coaching position in the Penguins' organization. He still lives in Pittsburgh, and Lemieux has really made a habit of hiring his old teammates. I suspect that was the connection that spurred the Penguins to host the USHL Fall Classic and the occasional Phantoms regular season game. Or perhaps Loney is eyeing ownership of a different franchise or league... maybe even making a junior presence at the Lemieux Center permanent.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad