Black Aces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
What are the rules for bringing prospects to practice with the NHL playoff team once their AHL/Junior seasons are over? Can the NHL team bring 5 or 10 or unlimited amount of prospects to practice and travel with the team during their playoff run? Out of the current 8 teams still in the playoffs which Black Aces are currently practicing with the parent club called up from their AHL/Junior clubs?

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
You are using the term black aces wrong and I am interested in hearing the answer to this myself. I would assume zero but I don't know.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Syracuse just got eliminated, and Tampa already called up a few black aces (Marchessault, Witkowski, and Gudlevskis so far), but I would expect a few more to make the jump (Koekkoek and a couple of others).

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I know in the past the Blackhawks would call up guys just to be around but team even though there was no realistic possibility of playing them. I don't know rules though.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The Kings' Black Aces are potential injury subs. For many of the Manchester Monarchs, it's the first time we see those players in a Kings uniform.

We have also deliberately signed borderline NHL players like Jeff Schultz, stick them in the AHL, then put them on the Black Aces squad. Jeff got the call and played some solid minutes for us in 2014 when we were desperate after multiple d-men injuries.

Shcultz

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
It's a name for a practice squad basically. They practice with the team but do not play in games. Good for getting young guys experience.
To be more precise: they don't practice with the regular players. They don't travel with team neither.
I'm not sure about their practice (rather exercise) schedule.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Can't remember the exact rule but if you need a reminder of what is a Black Ace picture those no-name guys that come out in full gear after a team has won the Stanley Cup and lift the thing over their head at the end even though they didn't even play a single minute in the NHL...

Black Aces get called up once the AHL team is out of the playoffs.

Montreal's depth excluding regular players;

F
Brian Flynn
Manny Malhotra
Christian Thomas
Daniel Carr
Charles Hudon

D
Sergei Gonchar
Mike Weaver
Darren Dietz
Brett Lernout

G
Joey MacDonald
Mike Condon

We had tons of injuries on the farm like Bournival, Drewiske and Tinordi so we won't be seeing them on the main team also left behind include Andrighetto (weird), Allen, Dumont, Bowman and Tangradi as well as major prospect Nikita Scherbak.

It's important for Black Aces to be around the team and keep in game shape in case you run into a bunch of injuries at the same time.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
:ducks2

F - Fleischmann, Sekac, +Wagner, *Noeson, *Friberg, *Sgarbossa

D - Wisniewski, Manson, +Holzer, *Fistric, *Theodore, *Montour, *Megna, *O'Brien

G- *Labarbera, *Faragher

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry
Beleskey - Kesler - Silfverberg
Cogliano - Rakell - Palmieri
Etem - Thompson - Jackman

Lindholm - Beauchemin
Fowler - Despres
Stoner - Vatanen

Andersen
Gibson

+ injured
* recently recalled

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Am I the only one who thought this was a combination of the "Aces" and "Black Knights" names recently suggested for a Las Vegas expansion team :laugh:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
We had tons of injuries on the farm like Bournival, Drewiske and Tinordi so we won't be seeing them on the main team also left behind include Andrighetto (weird), Allen, Dumont, Bowman and Tangradi as well as major prospect Nikita Scherbak.

I've heard that Andrighetto and Allen are injured as well.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
It didn't, black aces is being used wrong. Black aces still refers to what it did when eddie shore had his black aces. A prospect practicing with the squad is not a black ace.

No, the term "Black Ace" in this context only dates back to 1994, when the Rangers used it (from the comic strip) to refer to the extra players they called up that year who didn't play.

It does refer to a type of practice squad in the playoffs that doesn't practice with the main team, and has no expectation to play.

If the team wins the cup, some, but not all, of the Black Aces will be allowed onto the ice... even if they've never actually played a single minute for the team.

For example, in 2012, when the Kings won the cup, they allowed 3 Aces onto the ice, one forward (Marc Andre Cliche), one D (Jake Muzzin), and one goalie (Martin Jones). It's a type of reward. Other aces like Tyler Toffoli didn't get on the ice.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
No, the term "Black Ace" in this context only dates back to 1994, when the Rangers used it (from the comic strip) to refer to the extra players they called up that year who didn't play.

It does refer to a type of practice squad in the playoffs that doesn't practice with the main team, and has no expectation to play.

If the team wins the cup, some, but not all, of the Black Aces will be allowed onto the ice... even if they've never actually played a single minute for the team.

For example, in 2012, when the Kings won the cup, they allowed 3 Aces onto the ice, one forward (Marc Andre Cliche), one D (Jake Muzzin), and one goalie (Martin Jones). It's a type of reward. Other aces like Tyler Toffoli didn't get on the ice.

Would you even want to go on the ice to celebrate winning something you had nothing to do with? You're basically just one of the girlfriends at that point.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
To be more precise: they don't practice with the regular players. They don't travel with team neither.
I'm not sure about their practice (rather exercise) schedule.

Before the Sens were eliminated, the black aces practiced by themselves with Luke Richardson at different times than the Senators. I believe some of them do travel with the team as well and they get 50 dollars per day with their meals and hotel paid for.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton

Doesn't matter, the term black aces in the context of hockey dates back to the 50's when a player got into the bad books of the owner/manager/coach and therefore didn't dress/play. They were used as a pylon in practice aka practice squad. The "bad books" part has been dropped but a black ace is still a player who won't dress/play and is used as a pylon in practice. A prospect is never a black ace, he's a prospect.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
What are the rules for bringing prospects to practice with the NHL playoff team once their AHL/Junior seasons are over? Can the NHL team bring 5 or 10 or unlimited amount of prospects to practice and travel with the team during their playoff run? Out of the current 8 teams still in the playoffs which Black Aces are currently practicing with the parent club called up from their AHL/Junior clubs?

No roster limit (or cap) in the post-season.

The Wild, for example, have 38 players on their roster presently, though 6 are injured. Montréal has 32 (1 injured).

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Black Aces would be such a badass name for the Las Vegas team when they come around. City history and hockey terminology all at once.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Black Aces would be such a badass name for the Las Vegas team when they come around. City history and hockey terminology all at once.

Plus the expansion team that won't play in the playoffs jokes just write themselves. It sounds cool but it would be the equivalent of calling them the Las Vegas Blue Chips. Just because it incorporates both Vegas and hockey doesn't necessarily make it a slam dunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad